Great Great Grandfather"s Fly Rods

maxpower

Reaction score
So i've recently had passed down to me, my father's father's flyfishing rods and large assortment of flies. I think I'll keep the flies, but trying to find out more info and hopefully an idea of the value of his old rods. I may keep one, but would probably sell them and get newer fly fishing gear that's more durable and i can use with my kids.

Thank you

Attachments

Papafish

Reaction score
I would say don't sell the family history. You can pick up eagle claw glass fly fishing and spinning rods cheap. One old guys opinion.

LePetomane

Reaction score
While rich in sentimental value those rods probably would not fetch much on the secondary market. By the time you pack them and pay to ship them, you won't net much. They do look like they have been well cared for. Keep in mind that bamboo is very durable. There are a lot of old bamboo rods around that are still being fished. Your kids would have a ball with those.

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I'll throw a SWAG # of $25 - $50 for the unmarked ones and $75 for the Winchester. I see rod covers and cases on some which is good. The only one noted with a make is the Winchester which would be worth the most. But not highly sought after...name only I'm afraid. The Winchester fly rods to own are those by Eustis William Edwards. One of the greatest bamboo fly rod makers ever along with Fred E. Thomas and Ed F. Payne. All who worked together at one point and were disciples of THE greatest bamboo maker of all time.... Hiram Lewis Leonard.

A bit of history on Eustis:

Sorry...none are of these guys.

Market isn't the greatest right now to be honest. If I was a buyer...I'd give you $100 for the lot.....but I'd spend another $330 each to have them restored. Straightened, new guides, re-wrapped, can't tell about finish...that all adds up quick and with shipping being $35 each way insured.......I would be losing money...but fishing a fine vintage stick. There's a market for that...but a rare breed of angler.

If you want a second opinion....go to the Classic Fly Rod Forum. There are folks on there that restore them, buy them, fish them and write the price guides on there.

If it was me...I'd use them or keep them to pass them down to your boys. Perhaps they would want one of great great great grandpa's rods one day.. Don't worry about breaking them.....they are tougher than you think. Keep them indoors in temperature controlled environment...not in your garage or shed.

Last edited:

jwbowen

Reaction score
You will want to have good pics for the Classic fly rod forum. They seem to roast people
who join to ask values without good pics!!! lol. Very knowledgeable and helpful group of
people though. I believe the above advice seems to be pretty accurate though.

flytie09

Reaction score
I didn’t want to say anything.... but yes be prepared to be roasted.😂

They are going to want to see any marks at all on these rods. It might be above the cork or on the reel seat or butt. If not.....the value will be low and variable. They will also want to see if the sections are all there, any short sections, are they straight, condition of reel seat, condition of ferrules and guides, original wraps and condition of them on guides, finish and rod covers and rod tubes...I SWAG'd this from the grainy pics and my crummy internet so I gave you some slack.

They will even break down the repair cost for each step if necessary and give you that.

From what I can see the rods are in good shape and can be fished...but they're not heirlooms or would not make a collector's toes curl.

Beg for foregiveness and tell them you're inquiring for your son as you want to have them done as graduation present or for your dad's retirement gift. Make it a real sappy story🤣.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Of course I would not be alive but if my rods make it down to my great grandson and he elects to sell them (not that they would be worth that much as these are not either) I'd be angrily disappointed in him.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Rods of that era were made to be fished. Bamboo was the only material available. The bamboo market is down right now and you will never get enough for them to purchase current gear for your kids. I'd fish them as is. They look like they are in great condition. Remember when assembling them not to twist the ferrules. Enjoy.

triggw

Reaction score
Your father's father is actually your grandfather, not your great great grandfather.