Great Smoky Mountains in Winter Around Gatlinburg or Townsend, Options?

jayr

Reaction score
My oldest Son and a friend fished the Park last week, Wed, Thurs,, and Fri.... slow. Went to check for advice at Little River Fly View attachment 30699Shop and the guys told them "whatever your expectations........lower them". Did get a few and had a blast.

I am familiar with this stream and it is often over looked. You can catch brookies down low on it up through mid spring. After that they move further up the stream. Once you get up to a certain point there are no side trails and it gets really thick and steep on the sides.

NCAndy

Reaction score
Got out for a bit today in the Park, it was quiet and peaceful with the roads closed for snow. With temps in the low 30s, light intermittent snow falling on the 10-15mph breeze it was not the best day for catching, at least where I was. I really like these days though, and it's my kind of weather.

jayr

Reaction score
How is the fishing? Week snd a half and I’ll be up there.
Right now it is not that good. Water is high and cold.

The weather is warming, but starting Friday we are looking at several days of rain well into next week.

We are looking at roughly 3.5" of rain before March 6, if that is the weekend you are due in. I would periodically check the rainfall totals and river gauges and re-think your trip (if you can) if that amount of rain hits. It will be very blown out if it does and will be that way for a while.

Last edited:

NCAndy

Reaction score
Some locals have been out on the wild streams outside the Park and have done very well lately on nymphs. The rainbows seem to be spawning or just done and the browns are active. The last few days in the 60s have started to warm things up, but the flows are still a bit on the high side so topwater action is limited. More rain is forecast this weekend. The color on the wild rainbows right now is amazing.

Attachments