Greetings from Denver

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I am a recent transplant to the Denver area as well. Also not used to fishing with 7000 of your closest friends so am getting used to it and fishing main places at off times. And by off times I mean 9:00pm in the dark, when the fish are competing with the bats for my fly!

The joy of tying your own is that you can create exactly what works and tweak things a bit. I like to think that you save a little cash too, but after dropping $100 on hooks and more materials this past week, I'm not sure!

Hit me up if you ever need a fishing partner.

Hayden, I want to make down your way one of these days to find some Rio Grande cutts. I've turned my focus to native wild fish. Partly because you have to work to find them, and that's not what most people are looking for so crowds dwindle!
Come on down. I'm real good at finding native fish. Kinda my thing.
IMG_20200429_173002_kindlephoto-703793196.jpg

Wupjak

Excellent Driver
Reaction score
@nawagner Haha that’s a funny image of bats and fish competing for your fly. Thanks for the welcome, man!

Definitely not a fan of the piles of people - driving a ways and hiking in even further seems to help with that quite a bit!

Acheron

Reaction score
Pagosa has a higher than average divorce and suicide rate than most of the state
That's cause all the Texans are driving the locals mad :D :D

Welcome to the forum Wupjak. Deckers, in mid-August, when the heat is on in Denver...you would be luicky to find a parking spot after 8am. I am always amazed at how people camp right on top of each other along that river also, I don't understand how that is remotely enjoyable. It's always busy there even when the weather is crap. Middle of winter, lots are full early in the morning.

Honestly, it will be the same all of July/August on any river which paralells the road. Even 3-4 hours from Denver, expect the same on roadside fisheries.

It's even hard to find solitude in the high country. With everyone giving the advice...walk farther for better fishing...people are doing it...dangit. :D

Last edited:

WWKimba

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You'll find that it is loaded with some fine and experienced tyers/gishers, teachers and overall nice people. Myself, I'm a born and bred central NYer and have been tying for 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 10+ years. I love to work with newer as well as youth tyers having been lucky enough to steal -- er.... -- I mean LEARN from some fine tyers over the years. :) I hope that we cross paths on this site and 'till then,

Tight lines my friend!

Kim

BTW, my next swap offerring will be listed the first/second week of September - The NBC Swap! As with all my swaps, it IS open to ALL level tyers and I give special assistance to all newer tyers. Did I mention that ALL swappers get a tying gift for participating!? Did I mention that I am a selfless promoter!? Like I said, love to cross paths with you!

Wupjak

Excellent Driver
Reaction score
That's cause all the Texans are driving the locals mad :D :D

Welcome to the forum Wupjak. Deckers, in mid-August, when the heat is on in Denver...you would be luicky to find a parking spot after 8am. I am always amazed at how people camp right on top of each other along that river also, I don't understand how that is remotely enjoyable. It's always busy there even when the weather is crap. Middle of winter, lots are full early in the morning.

Honestly, it will be the same all of July/August on any river which paralells the road. Even 3-4 hours from Denver, expect the same on roadside fisheries.

It's even hard to find solitude in the high country. With everyone giving the advice...walk farther for better fishing...people are doing it...dangit. :D
Thanks for the welcome, @Acheron . I agree!

That Sunday drive to the river to maybe fish a bit quickly became a Sunday drive on by. I decided to test my preconceived notion about what that water would look like on a weekend this time of year. Man, it sucks being right all the time. :D

We're starting our 3rd year here in Denver and I've found some things to be true:

Cheesman: Fun hike, it's crowded, and the fish are smarter than I am.
Deckers: see above without the hike part
Every other easy-to-access fishery is full of people or empty of fish.

That's why I'm ok with driving further away, and even taking a weekday off to fish. It's just that worth it to me to better my odds of finding water that doesn't look like a supermarket on Super Bowl Sunday.

Trophy fish in the water I'm happiest fishing in are 12-14" long, and the fish size/quantity:human presence ratio more than makes up for it.

Last edited:

Wupjak

Excellent Driver
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. You'll find that it is loaded with some fine and experienced tyers/gishers, teachers and overall nice people. Myself, I'm a born and bred central NYer and have been tying for 50 years and hosting swaps for the past 10+ years. I love to work with newer as well as youth tyers having been lucky enough to steal -- er.... -- I mean LEARN from some fine tyers over the years. :) I hope that we cross paths on this site and 'till then,

Tight lines my friend!

Kim

BTW, my next swap offerring will be listed the first/second week of September - The NBC Swap! As with all my swaps, it IS open to ALL level tyers and I give special assistance to all newer tyers. Did I mention that ALL swappers get a tying gift for participating!? Did I mention that I am a selfless promoter!? Like I said, love to cross paths with you!
Hahaha thanks for the welcome, @WWKimba

Excellent self-promotion here - and hey, if you don't promote yourself, don't count on anyone else to do it for ya!

I'll get more tuned into tying related stuff this winter as the weather turns. For now all of my spare time and energy is devoted to planning the next fishing day trip!

Oh, and I nearly forgot!: If you call right now we'll throw in this free extra sham-WOW! :D

bonefishbob

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am a long time peruser of the forums - here's a sincere thanks to all of the contributors and admins for the insights, opinions and knowledge shared here. It's an impressive community and I'm pleased to be a tiny part of it!

I'm located in Denver, CO and have been fly fishing for about 4 years now. I fished with my dad on the California coast when I was a kid but that never really appealed to me. I have always enjoyed hiking and getting away from people on less traveled trails. Once I had kids, I'd take them hiking with basic spin fishing gear in the Sierras when they were little. That was mostly about time spent together and seeing country (read: we didn't catch much when we did fish, but that was ok).

I gave my son a book on fly fishing for his 7th birthday (almost 15 years ago). He read and reread that book probably a dozen times. In high school, he saved his money and bought himself an outfit, waders, and practiced knot tying. When he graduated HS, we took a trip together (that he had planned) to the eastern Sierra. It was my pleasure to watch him catch his first trout on the fly on the Owens in 2016. Since that time, he's persuaded me to try my hand at fly fishing. It's been a great journey for me and for him with several fishing trips on the Upper Sac and some other water in southern Oregon. Now that I'm in CO, he's in school in southern Oregon, and COVID has made travel challenging, we still enjoy talking about our individual fly fishing adventures and planning an eventual shared fishing itinerary here in the Rockies.

I primarily fish as far out of town as time and commitments allow. I gravitate to smaller water that has less pressure than the rivers and streams in and near the Denver Metro. This forces me to explore and keeps me occupied learning the countryside within about 3 hours of my home. It's been a great exercise that forces me to get out and see new stuff, try new things, and observe and reflect upon what I'm doing on any given day on the water that results in success or failure.

Next big leap for me will be tying my own flies starting this winter. Hurray for more rabbit holes!

Look forward to contributing what little I know to the shared knowledge here and continuing to learn as I go.

Denis
Hi Denis-
This is Keith in Cozumel Mexico. I am a Colorado native and former fly fishing guide in Rocky Mountain National Park for 20yrs before moving to Mexico..I can offer you a great spot to fish that is fairly close to Denever and has very little pressure.

I removed creek name and access info, Please Don't Hotspot on the Internet.

I think you will enjoy fishing this section of river..And I am sure you will have it all to yourself!
Let me know how it goes and Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Wupjak

Excellent Driver
Reaction score
Mucho gusto, @bonefishbob, I appreciate the gesture. Pleasure to meet you!

As Hayden says, though, it's not wise to post that in public as 'they' are always on the lookout for those unpressured spots.

I've made a note and tip my cap for the graciousness. For the sake of the fish, could I talk ya into editing your post to omit that info?

Again, my thanks.

Jecox

Reaction score
Thank you, okaloosa. I appreciate the welcome and words of advice on tying. It’ll be amazing to tie what I want instead of buying what the shop happens not to have run out of. Can’t wait. :D

I hear you on the crowds: I drove a section of the Platte between Foxton and Deckers to see what I could see on Sunday (this is a common, highly populated and highly pressured stretch of river, so I’m breaking no news here) and just drove on through. Between the tubers and 9,000,000 other people on the water it was just not something I wanted to subject myself to.

Some parts of the Metro are better than others when it comes to driving, heh. Using signals, not tailgating or driving 30 mph over the limit and weaving in and out of traffic like you’re running for your life seem to be a lost art on 225 - so I stay off that road as much as possible. Having lived in the Bay Area for a long while I still feel like royalty when I turn on my signal and people actually slow down!
Re Front Range Drivers: I guess it’s what you’re accustomed to. After I moved here from Birmingham, Alabama I was impressed by how much less tailgating and more turn signal use there is here. And if you try to change lanes, other drivers usually slow down to let you in!

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Re Front Range Drivers: I guess it’s what you’re accustomed to. After I moved here from Birmingham, Alabama I was impressed by how much less tailgating and more turn signal use there is here. And if you try to change lanes, other drivers usually slow down to let you in!
That's because we have "dispensaries" 😅