Grip for a Short and Light Rod

Classtime

Reaction score
I building my first "3 wt" From a Batson Unity 6'6" 2 wt. to fish dry flies on small brushy streams. I've never had anything shorter and lighter than a 7' 6" 5 wt. and I would like some opinions from those that have built and fish 2-7 weight rods. Do you prefer a similar size grip on your ultra-light rods? Or a smaller diameter? Or shorter length? My 5 wt. rods have a 1/2 Wells with a superfine front taper, while my 7, 8, and 9s have Full Wells and I wouldn't change a thing on them. I have a factory Fenwick that I am not fond of but haven't fished it very much. It also seems to me that most reel seats are longer than they need to be and I wonder if shortening whatever reel seat I choose would be a good idea for a rod this short and fine.
Looking forward to your perspectives. Thanks.
Jeff

el jefe

Reaction score
I don't know if you golf, but one of the things that affects swing weight--and thus feel for many--is the grip size. If you go too big on a grip, it reduces the swing weight and destroys the feel. If you start bigger with the grip and you lack feel, you can keep sanding it down until you get it where you like it. By and large, the shorter the rod, the smaller the grip to maintain the feel you like.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Do you have big hands? Shorter grips and reelseats look better on short rods. On my short bamboo rods, I like cigar grips or the Orvis Superfine style. Just make sure when cutting down a reelseat you check all the reels you might use on that rod. If you really want to go lightweight, all cork grip/reelseat.
30F8109A-7658-475E-B350-97FD97067502.jpeg08536A38-3057-4DE4-B79A-8A0BA8AA8171.jpeg

Classtime

Reaction score
Do you have big hands? Shorter grips and reelseats look better on short rods. On my short bamboo rods, I like cigar grips or the Orvis Superfine style. Just make sure when cutting down a reelseat you check all the reels you might use on that rod. If you really want to go lightweight, all cork grip/reelseat.
Are your grips on those rods shorter than on your longer and heavier rods.

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Yes they are. I really don’t fish rods longer than 7’6” nowadays....95% bamboo. I mainly fish lakes and use bamboo as short as 6’ a lot. I call mine “Hotrodz of Burien” and my trademark grip is a swelled mortised grip like these.

0EEB07A2-F3E2-4649-ACE9-A694CAD2C29F.jpeg

Bambooflyguy

Reaction score
Thanks! I prefer wood grips now, they don’t dampen the feel like cork, but I still enjoy fishing/casting with cork too. Wood grips aren’t slippery when wet....and we fish in the rain in Washington! So far I’ve made 35+ swelled mortised grips so far. Not hard to do, just a little time consuming. Too bad you’re far away, I’d let you try some!