Guess where I am going fishing...

stilis

Reaction score
Whenever I go on a destination trip, I enjoy researching and tying local patterns to help build anticipation. It really is part of the fun of a fishing trip. I thought it would be fun if like minded people post their flies, and we get to guess their destination.

I'll go first since I started the thread. This trip is not actually scheduled, but it will happen. A work priority pre-empted the schedule. The photo isn't the greatest, but it is the best I could muster with my limited photography skills, but it is tied with materials faithful to the original pattern (maybe not the hook)

IMG_0324.JPG

VaFisherman

Reaction score
Looks like a Mr. Rapidan dry fly so I am going to guess you are going to the Shenandoah Valley/National Park and fish for native brook trout on the many blue line streams of the area.

stilis

Reaction score
VaFisherman uses his local knowledge for the correct answer. Those fly's are indeed Mr. Rapidan's and Shenandoah National park is the destination

Reactions: Ard

Crocwrestler

Reaction score
Be sure to stop in at Murray’s Fly Shop and say hello to Mr Murray. The nicest guy who knows more about fishing in the park than anyone else on the planet, and is always happy to share some tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrick62

Reaction score
Beat me to it.

I use the Mr. Rapidan all the time -- as a scout fly, as an indicator fly, and sometimes just for the sheer hell of it.

stilis

Reaction score
Beat me to it.

I use the Mr. Rapidan all the time -- as a scout fly, as an indicator fly, and sometimes just for the sheer hell of it.
Floats like a cork, and brings those brookies up. I took a few of them for a test run this weekend on a local stream.

proheli

Reaction score
I like those flys! Though I’m not as experienced as many of you, fly fishing is an avid hobby of mine and I am very surprised I haven’t seen them before. Such a meaty looking pattern and I like all things chartreuse.

P.S. Great idea for a thread, Stilis. :)

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Whenever I go on a destination trip, I enjoy researching and tying local patterns to help build anticipation. It really is part of the fun of a fishing trip. I thought it would be fun if like minded people post their flies, and we get to guess their destination.

I'll go first since I started the thread. This trip is not actually scheduled, but it will happen. A work priority pre-empted the schedule. The photo isn't the greatest, but it is the best I could muster with my limited photography skills, but it is tied with materials faithful to the original pattern (maybe not the hook)

View attachment 33066
These are great looking drakes and would work remarkably well on many of our western streams and rivers during the green drake hatch. These are great high floaters for fishing faster water and seams! After runoff when the rivers start to clear is such an excellent time for this pattern.

I would be proud to fish those ties!