Guns-n- Roses World Tour

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
This weekend my family got a nice surprise while visiting Hershey Park. It is my wife's birthday tomorrow, so as a birthday gift she wanted to go to Hershey Park. On the way down we stopped off at Cabalas for a couple hours then an outlet mall, then the park. After we got to the park Friday evening, we heard music coming from the stadium. It didn't sound like a concert going on, more like rehearsal. So my wife googled up coming concerts and found out Guns-n-Roses are kicking off a world tour (Reunion),
With last night being the first night of the tour. Eddie VanHalen's son, Wolfgang, has a band called Mammoth and they were the opening act. So we managed to get nosebleed tickets and took my two youngest to the show. I haven't been to a real concert since I was a teen so it was a treat. We had a great time for a totally surprise outing. We spent the morning and afternoon in the park itself. I road the Rollercoaster which took 2hrs to get on. Talk about needing patience! We got into the stadium around 6 so we could buy concert shirts and beer before getting settled in. Mammoth came on at 7 and G-n-R came on around 8:30. At 54 yrs old, this concert made me feel like a kid again.20210731_185713.jpg20210731_222417.jpg20210731_222221.jpg20210731_221526.jpg20210731_212446.jpg20210731_205213.jpg

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
What a spontaneous eruption of rock and roll!

Wolfgang is the real deal... a virtuoso, just like his father.
I thought Wolfgang and his Band were good. I knew absolutely nothing of his music before the concert. I was hoping that he would do a tribute to his Dad. You know, something like a famous Eddie guitar solo. But it wasn't to be. I heard that he has talked about wanting to emerge from under his Dad's shadow, so I get it. But............ :(

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
That is awesome - Boy does that band bring back the memories. Glad you had fun with the family.
I haven't gone to many concerts in my life.
My first was Aerosmith with Mettalicca as the opening act. I have seen Ozzie, Triumph, Rush, John Butcher Axis and Elton John. Last night made me realize just how fun concerts can be. Music definitely brings people together in a good way. I am glad that my family had a good time.

WorknPlay

Reaction score
Boy his dad could smoke a guitar. Those were the days to have some fun. Now that I think about it, I also like these days as well. But now the music is turned down a little lower unless I just got a new fly rod then it is like 1986 all over again. Take Care

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Wow. How cool. Wolfgang is a great player.
I saw Eddie and the boys a couple of times. Eddie's talent defined a new genre of guitar. His work on Fair Warning is incredible.

G&R? IMO Welcome to the Jungle is one of the best straight up rock songs ever. In your face with great lyrics and music.

And I'll never forget Slash in the video of November Rain walking out of the church to rip the solo on his Les Paul. Classic.

stenacron

Reaction score
Saw Guns 'N' Roses just after Appetite was released... Airport Music Hall in Allentown, PA. Venue holds maybe 1,000 people maximum... up close and personal, great show! The next summer they sold out Giants Stadium.

Here's their set list from that night:
setlist_GnR_Oct 1987.JPG

jpakstis

Reaction score
I’m seeing Gn’R tomorrow night at Fenway Park. Looking forward to it! I still remember the first time listening to Appetite on tape at my buddy’s house in junior high. It felt like we were listening to something illicit. And the album still holds up in my opinion.

They were originally supposed to tour last year with Smashing Pumpkins as the opener but with the pandemic that obviously didn’t happen. Don’t know why the Pumpkins weren’t around this year.

The other thing we, as older people (I’m in my late 40’s) noticed, is that the gates open at 4PM and the first act goes on at 5:30. Axl must want to get back to the hotel in time for the local news! No more Mr. Brownstone I guess.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I’m seeing Gn’R tomorrow night at Fenway Park. Looking forward to it! I still remember the first time listening to Appetite on tape at my buddy’s house in junior high. It felt like we were listening to something illicit. And the album still holds up in my opinion.

They were originally supposed to tour last year with Smashing Pumpkins as the opener but with the pandemic that obviously didn’t happen. Don’t know why the Pumpkins weren’t around this year.

The other thing we, as older people (I’m in my late 40’s) noticed, is that the gates open at 4PM and the first act goes on at 5:30. Axl must want to get back to the hotel in time for the local news! No more Mr. Brownstone I guess.
I am sure that you will have a great time at the concert. I had a similar experience the first time I heard Guns-n-Roses. I had a friend who moved from New York to Arizona for about a year. He moved back and the first time that we hung out again we were partying in his car, and he says "hey you got to hear this new band they are really good and they are getting popular on the West coast". He put the tape in and let the music do the talking. I remember being blown away because the music was so different then anything else.

jpakstis

Reaction score
That’s a good set list, particular for someone (me!) who never listed to Chinese Democracy. Considering how…temperamental Axl can be, there was about a 5% chance that he’d only want to perform songs from that album.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
That’s a good set list, particular for someone (me!) who never listed to Chinese Democracy. Considering how…temperamental Axl can be, there was about a 5% chance that he’d only want to perform songs from that album.
Honestly I preferred the classics! I was very happy to say the least.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Good point. Axl does have a reputation for growing weary of not being allowed to grow weary.

! saw their concert from Vegas w/ replacement players and he sounded like Katheryn Hepburn... painful. 😬
Axl's voice is definitely not what it used to be. He tried hard to hit those screams like he used too, but it was tough. That being said I give him an A for effort and energy. I think that he gave the best he had. The whole band did IMHO. And Slash blew me away. That guy can play a guitar. As much as I wish I would of saw these guys in their prime, I am content to have been able to see them on this tour.

Aluminumchef

Reaction score
Axl's voice is definitely not what it used to be. He tried hard to hit those screams like he used too, but it was tough. That being said I give him an A for effort and energy. I think that he gave the best he had. The whole band did IMHO. And Slash blew me away. That guy can play a guitar. As much as I wish I would of saw these guys in their prime, I am content to have been able to see them on this tour.
Yeah thats a drawback of getting old, they just don't sound the same. On the flip side when he was youthful and could hit those notes he also threw the worst temper tantrums and would walk off stage.