Hardy CA DD 7000 or Lamson Speedster 3.5?

Kata2012

Reaction score
I'm looking for input from anyone who owns these reels.

I have a 9ft 7wt rod that I'm just finishing a build on that I intend to freshwater fish for bass and trout with, maybe carp, and I have narrowed it down to these two options. While I like the looks of both (I know the fish don't care about this), I would have to give the edge to the Hardy as it matches rod ad would look really nice together (again, I know only I care about this), while I hear that the Lamson has a better drag (not to mention it is sealed, which the Hardy is not) and gives a bigger range of drag.

It is worth noting that every 2 years or so, I have the chance to fish for bonefish for 1 single day in the Caymans as my in-laws have a timeshare there that we can take advantage of. I know the Lamson would be better in the salt since it is a sealed drag, but if I only use it for 8 hours in saltwater every 2 years and rinse it completely, does it matter of the drag is sealed?

Also, if anyone has any other options for a large arbor fly reel for about $200, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bryan

LOC

Reaction score
Hi there, you won't need a sealed drag for the usage you are describing.
It sounds to me you should go with the Hardy reel and enjoy the nice combo.

In general when it comes to gear you should pick your equipment based on it's overall usage and not sweat the small stuff.
This will assure you are fishing the right gear for the majority of the time instead of watering down the correct choice for a very small percentage of usage.

As always rinse your gear after salt water use if you want it to have longevity. That said, if you have a light day with just some surface salt water spray you don't need to do a complete tear down. It's actually best to just give it a nice wipe down. If you do dunk it in the salt then yeah clean it well.

Last edited:

mandotrout

Reaction score
I have both of these reels, but not in the exact sizes you mention. My Hardy CADD is on a 4 wt rod and the Speedster, last year's discontinued model, is on a 7 wt. I don't know what the backing capacity is on the larger CADD, but there isn't room for much backing on my small version. Not a big deal. The Hardy's drag goes from zero to way too much very quickly, which might be a good thing for bass and in saltwater. I don't ever get it past the second "notch" on the drag knob and I've handled trout up to 22 inches, on 5x tippet, with it so far. The Speedster has much more gradual range of drag, which in my mind makes it more useable, but it doesn't seem quite as strong at the top end as the Hardy. I think they are both nice reels and the drags on both are very smooth. The Speedster is made in the USA of course, if that matters to you. The Hardy, despite being made in South Korea, has the history of that brand behind it. I was fortunate enough to visit the Hardy facility in England a couple years ago and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their products. I also like the sound of the Hardy drag a little better. The Speedster's drag sound is produced by a little plastic flipper, which is it's only function as far as I can tell. It it were me, I would probably go with the Hardy, despite the fact that the drag isn't sealed and you will have to do a little care and maintenance on it occasionally. I'll add that the Speedster is really light and almost seems a little "flimsy", like it would be easy to bend, although this has not happened to me. The Hardy is more robust and I like that you remove the spool by unscrewing a captive knob rather than just pushing it apart like the Speedster.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too would go with the Hardy...and the drag on the Lamson is NOT sealed no mater what they say. Yes there is a rubber gasket that holds the spool in place but when you remove it you can see into the drag cone assembly. If you can see is so can water find it. Also the Hardys aspect ratios are far superior. If you wish to check out another modest priced but quality option, look at our Forum sponsor Taylor Fly Fishing.

Kata2012

Reaction score
I have both of these reels, but not in the exact sizes you mention. My Hardy CADD is on a 4 wt rod and the Speedster, last year's discontinued model, is on a 7 wt. I don't know what the backing capacity is on the larger CADD, but there isn't room for much backing on my small version. Not a big deal. The Hardy's drag goes from zero to way too much very quickly, which might be a good thing for bass and in saltwater. I don't ever get it past the second "notch" on the drag knob and I've handled trout up to 22 inches, on 5x tippet, with it so far. The Speedster has much more gradual range of drag, which in my mind makes it more useable, but it doesn't seem quite as strong at the top end as the Hardy. I think they are both nice reels and the drags on both are very smooth. The Speedster is made in the USA of course, if that matters to you. The Hardy, despite being made in South Korea, has the history of that brand behind it. I was fortunate enough to visit the Hardy facility in England a couple years ago and I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of their products. I also like the sound of the Hardy drag a little better. The Speedster's drag sound is produced by a little plastic flipper, which is it's only function as far as I can tell. It it were me, I would probably go with the Hardy, despite the fact that the drag isn't sealed and you will have to do a little care and maintenance on it occasionally. I'll add that the Speedster is really light and almost seems a little "flimsy", like it would be easy to bend, although this has not happened to me. The Hardy is more robust and I like that you remove the spool by unscrewing a captive knob rather than just pushing it apart like the Speedster.
What size is your hardy? Is it the 4000? Just curious for a backing comparison.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Kata2012

Reaction score
I too would go with the Hardy...and the drag on the Lamson is NOT sealed no mater what they say. Yes there is a rubber gasket that holds the spool in place but when you remove it you can see into the drag cone assembly. If you can see is so can water find it. Also the Hardys aspect ratios are far superior. If you wish to check out another modest priced but quality option, look at our Forum sponsor Taylor Fly Fishing.
Thanks! I had actually looked at the enigma 2.0 and the t1 but missed the sale they just had. It looks like they are launching a mix of the 2 next week which looks like a great option as well.

Kata2012

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info, I really appreciate it. I was about to pull the trigger on the hardy when I got a steal of a deal on a brand new (but now old) orvis hydros sl iv.

Its not the color I wanted, but I couldn't pass up the offer I got.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks all for the info, I really appreciate it. I was about to pull the trigger on the hardy when I got a steal of a deal on a brand new (but now old) orvis hydros sl iv.

Its not the color I wanted, but I couldn't pass up the offer I got.

Thanks for saying thanks :)