Hardy customer service under Pure Fishing is a mess...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I do not take brand or warranty into consideration when I purchase a fly rod, only performance relative to my specific needs. I have broken relatively few rods but have found most all brands to have responded fairly and effectively. The brand I have broken by far the most is Orvis and with new rods they are fine...with older discontinued rods, less so. Hardy was an old and venerable company but has changed ownership and structuring a few times in the past several years. My impression having dealt with them a fair bit is they have gotten their act together (minus C-19 related matters) but this web site and registration issue is not good news. I will write my contact there an email and see if I can learn anything.

dipaoro

Reaction score
I do not take brand or warranty into consideration when I purchase a fly rod, only performance relative to my specific needs. I have broken relatively few rods but have found most all brands to have responded fairly and effectively. The brand I have broken by far the most is Orvis and with new rods they are fine...with older discontinued rods, less so. Hardy was an old and venerable company but has changed ownership and structuring a few times in the past several years. My impression having dealt with them a fair bit is they have gotten their act together (minus C-19 related matters) but this web site and registration issue is not good news. I will write my contact there an email and see if I can learn anything.
Were you able to learn anything from your contact for us?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Were you able to learn anything from your contact for us?
Yes, they are aware, embarrassed and exasperated by the monumental failure of their computer and customer response service...and are working hard to improve.

canoeman1947

Reaction score
Early last year I purchased a Hardy Perfect reel. The second time I used it, the spool retaining screw fell out and was lost. I contacted the Pure Fishing reel repair center in Iowa, and they sent me a new screw which would not go in. Apparently the old screw had broken off inside. I sent the reel to the repair center and had it back within 10 days, so I was happy with their service.

Larry

dipaoro

Reaction score
Yes, they are aware, embarrassed and exasperated by the monumental failure of their computer and customer response service...and are working hard to improve.
I appreciate the update.

Huge fan of Hardy rods (own 3 now) and hope never need repair. But, it would be nice to know will be covered when the time comes.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I too have several Hardy rods and have yet to break one. I know they would cover it, the questions is how graceful an experience it might be. This customer services matter aside, I regard the new Ultralite NSX's and Zane Pros to be among the finest current rods available.

bergie

Reaction score
I too have several Hardy rods and have yet to break one. I know they would cover it, the questions is how graceful an experience it might be. This customer services matter aside, I regard the new Ultralite NSX's and Zane Pros to be among the finest current rods available.
Agree the new Ultralight is a gem of a rod! Have not cast the Zane Pro yet

bergie

Reaction score
Website and rod registration still a big mess and nothing works...I managed to get hold of hardy via email and they said to just email the rod serial number...pretty poor customer service ...

mattd3379

Reaction score
:O Hmmm ok so hang on a minute .... so what happens if I break my Zephrus rods in say like 3 years??....Hardy can turn around and say sorry no more parts??? How long after a rod range has been discontinued do Hardy "typically" stop honoring the lifetime warrantee / run out of parts??

I was not aware of this...Then I kinda agree with your route of going the American premium brand way as Scott etc roll a new section... damn this has now completely putt of me Hardy hahahaha as I actually broke 2 Scott meridians over the last 2 years and they were replaced no questions asked by Scott ...

I just love the Zephrus SWS rods action more than the Meridians and managed to get a 9, 11 and 12 on a crazy closeout sale :)
This is what happened to my girlfriend last summer. She broke her Shadow 8'6" 5 wt on the Henry's Fork after a fall in late June. We arrived home downloaded the warranty form and sent it in. Coincidentally, I broke my Scott GS885 on the same trip and we both shipped our rods off at the same time. I received my repaired rod (top section broken in half) less then two weeks later, at this point she had still not heard anything from Hardy even though they had the rod for a week and a half at this point.

After waiting until week 3 she finally emailed asking what was going on. Another week goes by no answer, she reaches out to them again. Days later gets a response that they have the rod buy haven't been able to look at it yet. Month passes from the last correspondence, reaches out again, receives a response a few days later can't fix rod, no parts because that rod is discontinued. They offer her a new rod of her choice for 50% off MSRP. She wasn't stoked about it because she loved that Shadow but took them up on their offer.

This is now mid to late August, at this point we go to the local fly shop and she tries a few different rods because that shadow was her only rod as I purchased it for her as a random gift. She had been using one of my rods up to this point and I missed it. She ends up buying the 9' 5wt Sonic and loves it, and honestly watching her cast it with SA Infinity her casting is much better than it was with the Shadow. Moving on, she picks out the Ultralite NSX 8'6" 5wt, they tell her 3 weeks until she will have it. Mind you she is loving that Sonic now and kind of forgets what is coming. 5 weeks pass from ordering the Ultralite, now she is just tired of the delays, slow response or lack of any responses. As it turns out, the gal in customer service she has been working with was either let go or quit a week after promising the rod would she in 3 weeks.

This matter ends up escalated to a very helpful fellow. He apologizes and says he should have the rod soon, he passes it back off to the new customer service agent. More time goes by nothing happening she reaches out again. It escalates to him again. He offered to ship her (this was his rod he had ordered for himself and had not even pulled it out of the tube yet) rod overnight so she would have it for the weekend. He also included a Marmot jacket with hardy stitched into the jacket, a Hardy hat, and this is crazy, another rod of her choice free of charge for the ordeal she went through for the better part of 6 months. Now we are in November sometime. She finally receives both Ultralites the 8'6" 5wt and the 9' 6wt and she is more than happy. She was ready to write Hardy off and cut her losses but after casting/fishing these new rods her confidence is restored.

I guess my point here is things happen it has been a tough year and people are trying to get caught up. I wouldn't write of Hardy just yet, they are trying.

BTW, both of these rods are pretty sweet. Well built, super light, quite gorgeous and she casts them much better than the old shadow. I have only cast them for short bits of time because she won't let me fish one for a day. Hahaha

KatahdinMan

Reaction score
I just bought my first Hardy fly rod, the Ultralight LL 10"8" 3wt so I can start my hand at euro nymphing. Beautifully built fly rod. Went to the Hardy website to register it and after taking some time searching I ended up at "page not found." Went to the Pure Fishing website to see if I can get anywhere over there, ended up at the same page not found.

I emailed Hardy CS to see how I can register my fly rod online, three days pass, no response.

6 month old thread with folks unable to register their Hardy gear online, and slow or no response from customer service emails. They have every reason to be embarrassed at this point. This is totally unacceptable.

dipaoro

Reaction score
Well, I do own 3 Hardy Rods and recently purchased my first Hardy Reel (online). The reel was the wrong size and in my opinion a bit flimsy. One fall and felt this reel would be toast. Knowing this customer service issue, I promptly returned the Hardy reel and opted for another Ross Evo LTX. Let's hope Hardy gets this fixed in 2021.