Hardy Marquis #8/9 shaft stuck on Spool

dannyhaitran

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help here. I was given an old Hardy Marquis #8/9 reel and I took it apart to clean up the rust only to find out that the shaft is stuck in the spool. I'm not able to budge it at all all. Any help with this?

Danny,

jayr

Reaction score
Get some Kroil and apply it in/on the spindle. Remove the line if it is salvageable. Soaking the complete reel in vinegar should also work to dissolve the rust.

dannyhaitran

Reaction score
Get some Kroil and apply it in/on the spindle. Remove the line if it is salvageable. Soaking the complete reel in vinegar should also work to dissolve the rust.
Thanks jayr, I've submerged in white vinegar in hopes that it budges. it's almost like welded within each other. We will see :D

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Danny,

I'm not sure I understand what you have going on. Is the spool able to rotate but you can't remove it?

If it is frozen in place by corrosion I have no suggestion but if the spool rotates but will not allow removal I do have experience with that issue.

Sometimes the latch that catches in the indent at the top of the spindle will not clear the spindle indent and this leaves you unable to remove the spool.

On a large open work space with ample lighting carefully loosen the two screws holding the hub / latch cover to the face of the spool.

Be very sure your screwdriver is a proper fit so you do not butch up the heads of the screws of the hob cover.

When you remove the cover it's a good idea to place a cloth over the spool / reel when you work the cover off because often times the tiny spring will take flight. Having a light cloth like a handkerchief over the reel will stop it from soaring off the table or benchtop.

Remember, I'm talking about a reel on which the spool will turn but now allow removal here. If it is welded in place by corrosion I may not have taken it on in the first place. This model is too widely available for me to rehab one unless all other cosmetics of the reel frame and spool are in perfect condition.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Never even occurred to me but that beats the heck outta the cloth. I just do the cloth because that's how I was warned to handle it years ago but the bag is obviously the way to go.

Thanks for that :)

trev

Reaction score
I have spent hours looking for those little non-magnetic screws and weeks waiting for replacements to come in the mail. Then used a box and after that a pillow case before settling on plastic bags. I can tell you She wasn't happy about the reel grease on the pillow case, and the box was slick enough that the springs could ricochet so still needed the cloth.

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the original poster to come back and tell me what the situation is.

He says "I took it apart" He also says the "shaft is stuck in the spool".

If the spindle (shaft) were actually stuck in the spool you could not "Take it apart".

So I have to wonder, has the spindle came loose from the frame and is corroded and fast inside the spool hub?