Hardy Perfect Blue Agate

sean freeman

Reaction score
Hi guys I’ve posted this on a few other forums but thought I’d post it here too. From what I gather it’s a very rare model. It is my uncles now after I found it forgotten in his shed after a 10-15 year stay there, was my grand uncles before that and his fathers before that! So it’s been around a long time. I don’t have an exact year but most have said it’s WW1 era? Anyway I’ve linked the pictures below.

Hardy Perfect - Album on Imgur

Cheers Sean

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Nice reel Sean. The blue agates are a rarity. First off.... I would say to have your Uncle strip the old line off, remove the spool to acess the internals and give it a good soapy water bath and scrub down with a toothbrush. Wipe it clean and dry with a soft cloth and q-tips. Then lube it up. This will help to stop any corrosion and preserve it for many generations to come. I use ReelX oil on spindle and drag screw, Boeshield to preserve and lube the frame/spool exterior and Quantum Hotsauce on the gear and pawl.

If you’re looking for the exact age.... we would need a peek at the check mechanism. There are several distinguishing features to date Perfects that are well documented.

- Drag mechanism
- Script on the exterior
- Makers marks
- line guide markings
- Brass foot

There are several Hardy Reel reference books, Evans tapes, and pics on google to get a good date and value. The guys on Classicflyrodforum that are well versed on dating the Perfects and could help you out too.

Thanks for sharing. That’s a fine reel you dug out of the shed. I wish I had some buried treasures like that.

sean freeman

Reaction score
Thanks mate, really informative post. Unfortunately the reel is back in Ireland where my family are from and I’m in England. I’ve asked my uncle to remove the spool and take some pics but he said he can’t remove it. The centre screw looks to be original and he doesn’t want to risk damaging it. If I had it I’d free the screw, clean it and fish it. It would be an amazing feeling fishing a reel a relative bought 100 or so years ago.

I’ll try to persuade him to attempt freeing the screw. Any advice on a non damaging penetrating solution that could free it if it’s seized? He has said he has a few more old inherited Hardy reels which I can’t wait for him to dig out! Who knows what else is hidden away. I’ll update you after I’ve spoken to him.

All the best,

Sean

flytie09

Reaction score
Boeshield is great for breaking screws loose. And it’s safe on Aluminum. Invented by.... Boeing for aircrafts.

A couple days of squirting should work it free. Remind him it’s a reverse thread (left hand) screw. Use a coin vs a screw driver or knife.

A link that explains this.

YouTube

The site owner should be tickled they get bonus advertising. I think that’s worth a 30% off coupon code. :nod:

Cheers

Mike

flytie09

Reaction score
Bring it to one of the upcoming Mullock's Vintage Tackle Auctions at the Ludlow Racecourse and ask around. There's 4 or more of these per year with some of the most informed sellers, collectors and appraisers out there. If someone there can't answer your questions regarding it's age .... noone can.

Apparently (and this isn't 100% confirmed) pre WWI, Hardy was sourcing their red agates from a company in Germany. When the war hit....this source ceased and they used some alternative sources and agate colors. So this puts it at 1914-1918 or maybe a little later.

For us to give you a date....we need to see the interior workings of the reel. But based on the handle and foot...it's an old one. The check work will tell us/you a lot.

But....don't rule out it being an aftermarket replacement. This is the most likely how the blue agate came to be......but there is a one off chance it came original from Hardy with the blue agate.

sean freeman

Reaction score
I’ll get onto my uncle about removing the spool, I doubt the agate is a replacement, it has the hardy engravings on the agate ring housing the same as I’ve seen on previous blue agate perfects that have sold. It was just forgotten about for a long long time until I uncovered it.

I’ll update when I’ve spoken to him. Would like to fix it up and fish it but my uncle doesn’t seem keen on it now knowing the value and age.

flytie09

Reaction score
You my friend have a one in a million reel. Take her out for a spin once in a while and it'll be good for another 100 years. I just love a good love story. 🥰

the norseman

Reaction score
Wow! A Blue Agate Harty, what a Fly Reel to cherish. I would definitely Fly Fish it,
but ever so careful with it. That would be in my Rotation to take out once in awhile.
It would be Promptly displayed in my Display Case!

What is the outside Diameter of it?

Thank you for Sharing your Story and the Pictures. The Best to you and your Endeavors.

The New and the Vintage.
WIN_20200913_12_05_11_Pro.jpg

sean freeman

Reaction score
Wow! A Blue Agate Harty, what a Fly Reel to cherish. I would definitely Fly Fish it,
but ever so careful with it. That would be in my Rotation to take out once in awhile.
It would be Promptly displayed in my Display Case!

What is the outside Diameter of it?

Thank you for Sharing your Story and the Pictures. The Best to you and your Endeavors.

The New and the Vintage.
View attachment 29152
It’s a special reel and we believe we’ve pieced together the story behind it, don’t mind sharing if you want to know?

From memory the diameter was 3 3/8”