Hardy Zephrus vs Loomis NRX+ or NRX+ LP

marcd

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my 5 weight rod; I have an old Orvis. I live in Massachusetts and fish smaller & medium sized rivers for trout. I have a Sage ZXL 4wt and Sage LL 3 wt and love both of them. Looking for the 5 weight for a more all around rod with a stronger emphasis on streamers and nymphs. Heard great things about the Hardy Zephrus and of course Loomis NRX+ and NRX+ LP. Obviously the price point of the Zephrus is attractive (closeout around $500) and it sounds like it's a great value. Is it worth spending more $$$ for the NRX+ or NRX+ LP, or even something else?

Not looking to spend money foolishly, but also don't mind spending it if it makes a difference. Thoughts?

matt_geiman

Reaction score
Have not cast a Zephrus yet, but I am looking hard at the 9' 4 weight. It would be very tempting to not get one for 500! All super nice rods for sure and frankly comes down to personal preference.

osseous

Reaction score
I grew up on the coast of NH- and I've fished the Swift, the Westfield, the Greenfield....and most every other river in the region, at one point or another. Learned a TON fishing the Y pool in the 80s. I'd look at the LP + and the Douglas Sky G if I were buying a 5 wt for those waters- If you're gonna chuck a Thingamabobber and two nymphs- you'll be a lot happier with a 6 wt on those days

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mike_r

Reaction score
I too advocate for a softer, medium action 6wt. I gave the Loomis NRX+LP 690 a waggle in the fly shop the other day. Wish I had time to cast it but it felt incredibly light in hand. Very nicely finished too,like Sages of old. In ended up buying the NRX+ 590. They had sold their NRX+LP 590 so I test cast it against the Scott G series 905 for a similar contrast. The Scott is a fun rod to cast. Very light in weight, a touch of swing weight as it is a softer rod, yet it retains a very crisp, acceptable tip recovery for dry fly fishing on non-windy days. I have cast the 590 Zephrus. A guide buddy gave me his 590 to play with back when they had only been out about a year. As I recall, it was a real sweet heart. Softer tip smoothly transitioning into a stiff butt; a lot like the G Loomis NRX+ 590. The Zephrus could present gently in close or really crack one out to 75’ plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dipaoro

Reaction score
I already own the older G.Loomis NRX LP in a 5W and 3W. Recently, I did purchase the Zephrus 4W 8.6 on discount. This is a father's day gift for me, so its ready to go in 2 weeks. However, I did try it out in the yard and totally impressed. Ross Evo 4/5 and SA Smooth Infinity are part of this outfit. I highly recommend. Very tight loops booming from this rod. Very light and impressive. This rod won the Yellowstone 4W shootout.

okiekev

Reaction score
If you are looking more for a nymph/streamer rod, have you considered a 9.5 or 10 ft rod? The Scott Radian is really nice in a 9.5 ft 5 wt and the NRX+ in 10 ft is getting some great press. Just something else to consider.

hiplainsdrifter

Reaction score
There's a lot to be said for the 4/6wt quiver for trout. 4 covers dries and light nymphing on small to medium water. 6 covers small to medium streamers, heavy nymphing, and medium to larger water, and bigger fish. They have just enough overlap that you could break a rod and not be empty handed. 5 is more versatile than either, but inferior for either end of the spectrum. Love my Sky 6wt, it is as good as they say.

old timer

Reaction score
I'm going to do an experiment tomorrow at a small pond since runoff has wiped out the rivers. I'll use the 9' 5 wt Zephrus with two different lines. SA Amplitude Smooth Infinity WF 5 wt and a 406 DT 5 wt. One is a 1/2wt heavy and the DT is true to weight. DT vs WF. Mostly dries. We'll see what the rod likes.

brownbass

Reaction score
I shopped for a five weight a few years back and it came down to the Zephrus and the Loomis LP. I went home with the LP for dries but really like the Zephrus in that weight with the Rio Gold. I sometimes second guess my choice of the LP until I tie on a size 18 dry. I don't think it is the rod for big streamers and nymph rigs but I have a six for the larger stuff.

Bill