Hatch's All New Iconic (a NAFF Forum Exclusive)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
The fin-like porting and machined as part of the frame reel foot are iconic Hatch Reels design elements. They live on in modernized ways in Hatch’s new Iconic but virtually every other aspect of the new model is re-designed and improved. Not a single part of Iconic is backwardly compatible with Hatch reels dating from first generation Monsoon through most recent Finatic 2. Hatch reels have always been reliable and rigidly strong but every little issue brought to the attention of their customer service folks has been taken into consideration over the last few years of developing this all new design.

Hatch Iconic 4 & 5+ c.jpg
This 4+ is the Large Arbor and the 5+ a Mid Arbor...Note the additional round ports visually differentiating the options.
The aluminum handle remains but rarely an electrolysis issue developed between it and its stainless-steel inner shaft; it has been replaced with an inert industrial plastic shaft.

A preferred fly reel design element of mine is a captive, threaded spool lock retainer. No springs to fail as with a lever or push button. Hatch was a leader in popularizing this design feature and has, in the all new Iconic, simplified and strengthened the design using fewer parts.

A very important part of a reel to me is its aspect ratio. I dislike wide spools as they are far more prone to anti-intuitive, un-uniform line retrieval than are narrower ones. I’ve trained myself to level wind over a lifetime of angling but every time I glance at my reel during the conquest of a substantial fish I’m distracting myself by taking important visual attention away from what is most important. Hatch has always had intelligent width to depth spool proportions but the new design is improved by increasing the diameter and narrowing the width while preserving backing and line capacities. While the 3 and 4+ continue as a Large Arbor configuration, 5+ and larger offer the backing capacity expansion of an optional Mid Arbor design. As the appropriate level of backing on the spool fills it to the same point regardless of arbor size, the Mid Arbor shares the same retrieval rate as the standard Large Arbor…just with more string to spare.

On some earlier Hatch reels the indexed Rulon drag discs could slip out of alignment if the drag was loosened to the maximum as is generally recommended for storage. While Hatch corrected and retrofitted older reels some time ago, the new design has hard stops at minimum and maximum settings to preclude any possibility of such an issue. This is a lead in to what is the most relevant feature of this all new model. Gone are the machined Rulon discs and new are proprietary carbon hybrid drag elements called “550-C15” that are 200% more slippery at lower settings and far more sharply stout at higher settings. So incremental settings appropriate to fine tippet trout fishing are far smoother and refined while for big game and in the salt a much stronger drag is on tap. I do not have a pounds of strength number but have been informed it is mighty stout.

Hatch considers this new ultra-smooth and wide range drag module with an all new water sealing design to be a core enhancement of Iconic. Lightest to strongest settings are dialed over an approximate two full turns of the enlarged drag knob. Details on ordering and availability dates will imminently be published by Hatch dealers. The new reel is available in clear, black and grey type 2 anodization from 3+ to 11+. While the bonefish centric 7+ has gained a fraction of an ounce, the rest of the models are marginally lighter and these specs should also appear on dealer’s sites this weekend.

I have yet to spin the handle and crank the drag knob on one of these Iconics but hope to field one for trout and for the salt as soon as I can and will write a detailed fishing review then.

WorknPlay

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. With all of these new rods, I am in the market for some new reels. They look great and I look forward to seeing one in person in the future. Take Care

jwbowen

Reaction score
I have put one in the pre-order basket 3 times:((. Each time I think of my extra un-used Einarsson
3plus that fits my 9' rods well. Hopefully, the mod's will delete this thread as inappropriate and
I won't keep checking this thread.

myt1

Reaction score
What about the weight?

They still look like they are on the heavy side.

I also notice the arbor is straight across. On a number of new reels the arbor is concave and on some it is even asymmetrical.

hollisd

Reaction score
What about the weight?
While the bonefish centric 7+ has gained a fraction of an ounce, the rest of the models are marginally lighter and these specs should also appear on dealer’s sites this weekend.

hollisd

Reaction score
@sands the Finatic Gen 2 4+ weight is listed as 4.9 oz so are the trout sizes marginally heavier versus marginally lighter which you wrote?

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My comments about weights were not based on data but rather on my phone interview with Hatch. 4+ at 5.25 is spot on for many 5-weight rods and a tad light for some. 5+ Mid at 5.9 could be a perfect 6-weight reel.

steveid

Reaction score
Weights are available on the bear's den site.
They're heavy. 8.9oz empty seems a lot for a bonefish reel....at least to my way of thinking.
There does seem to be a significant sizing gap between the 5+ and the 7+. Look at the large arbor capacity for 7wt between the two reels. 5+ has 80 yards and the 7+ can take 260 yards of backing. On my 7 or 8wt bonefish rods, I want a true 150-180 yards of capacity (what most would list as 200) and a weight of about 7-7.5oz. Basically, I need to be right in the middle of the 5+ and 7+ for a modern bonefish rod.

I think the 7+ is perfect on my 9 weight and I have one on my Igniter 990. However, the 7+ is a little big for my 7 weight. For an 8 weight, it's a toss up. On the other end, the 5+ doesn't have the capacity I want for my bonefish rods.

Despite all this, Hatch has awesome reels that you could throw off a skyscraper and likely still fish with. I love the machined in reel foot. One less thing to come loose at the worst moment. I can probably live with an ounce too heavy. There's a good chance others aren't as light as they claim to be.

czando

Reaction score
Seems like they made a mistake by not making them lighter, for a 5 weight I think around 4.5 to 4.8 oz is perfect. I still think the galvan T5 near perfect in every way and I own several hatch and Abel reels

My guess is they will only have success in the saltwater models

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

czando

Reaction score
Seems like they made a mistake by not making them lighter, for a 5 weight I think around 4.5 to 4.8 oz is perfect. I still think the galvan T5 near perfect in every way and I own several hatch and Abel reels

jwbowen

Reaction score

I think you will be surprised. I Have Galvan and several Hardy's(Perfects,Mtx's), Hatch, Sage and Einarsson's.
Something about a more substantial reel that I enjoy. I do enjoy the lightweight Mtx's also.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I still think the galvan T5 near perfect in every way and I own several hatch and Abel reels My guess is they will only have success in the saltwater models
This is basically where I come out. Whenever I see an expensive trout reel, I always ask myself "how/why would this be better than a Torque, or even a Rush LT?" I personally struggle to spend even the cost of a new Galvan for a trout reel (have bought all but one of mine used), so hard to make a case for spending even more. I do have a Gen 2 4+, 5+ and 7+ (all bought used or on deep discounts) and think they are great, I just don't want to spend that much on a trout reel. Totally different story for the salt.

To be clear, I am not bothered in the least by how others choose to spend their money nor am I saying someone should settle for cheap gear and be happy (there have been a number of comments to that effect lately, though most by one person as far as I can tell, and I certainly don't share that view). I'm just saying that for me personally the Torque is the benchmark/standard for a trout reel, and so would need to be really wowed to spend more. But if the new Hatch appeals to you, by all means go for it and have fun with it.

el jefe

Reaction score
This is basically where I come out. Whenever I see an expensive trout reel, I always ask myself "how/why would this be better than a Torque, or even a Rush LT?" I personally struggle to spend even the cost of a new Galvan for a trout reel (have bought all but one of mine used), so hard to make a case for spending even more. I do have a Gen 2 4+, 5+ and 7+ (all bought used or on deep discounts) and think they are great, I just don't want to spend that much on a trout reel. Totally different story for the salt.

To be clear, I am not bothered in the least by how others choose to spend their money nor am I saying someone should settle for cheap gear and be happy (there have been a number of comments to that effect lately, though most by one person as far as I can tell, and I certainly don't share that view). I'm just saying that for me personally the Torque is the benchmark/standard for a trout reel, and so would need to be really wowed to spend more. But if the new Hatch appeals to you, by all means go for it and have fun with it.
I'm a Galvan Torque/Rush enthusiast, myself. I typically start with a Rush LT, and then get Torque spools for the extra lines. The Torque spool on the Rush LT frame is actually great look, better than the Torque, in my opinion. One of the things I really like about Galvan is that they have kept the Rush/Torque reels around for a while. Galvan doesn't change out product to change out product. They have something that works, and they stick with it.

But I confess I have a wandering eye, and really like the look of so many reels on the market today. And, yes, part of my reel buying decision is based on aesthetics (or: it looks cool to me!). There are so many good reels on the market today that looks could be one's primary criterion; most of them do the job way better than is necessary. They are so far over the functionality threshold that you may as well use some other attribute to base your purchase on--looks, price, weight, etc.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
I'm a Galvan Torque/Rush enthusiast, myself. I typically start with a Rush LT, and then get Torque spools for the extra lines. The Torque spool on the Rush LT frame is actually great look, better than the Torque, in my opinion. One of the things I really like about Galvan is that they have kept the Rush/Torque reels around for a while. Galvan doesn't change out product to change out product. They have something that works, and they stick with it.

But I confess I have a wandering eye, and really like the look of so many reels on the market today. And, yes, part of my reel buying decision is based on aesthetics (or: it looks cool to me!). There are so many good reels on the market today that looks could be one's primary criterion; most of them do the job way better than is necessary. They are so far over the functionality threshold that you may as well use some other attribute to base your purchase on--looks, price, weight, etc.
Does your wife know about that wandering eye?