Hatch's All New Iconic (a NAFF Forum Exclusive)

thomasw

Reaction score
I confess that I like the Galvan reels, too. But as you guys above have stated, for trout one doesn't require a reel of the same cost or functionality as one would for the salt. Of that fact, as almost an exclusive trout man and dry fly aficionado, I find I do enjoy what SS termed elsewhere as a "shrunken salt water reels", (e.g., 2+ and 3+ Finatics), but I do acknowledge that my old lovely Hardys and Ross Gunnisons do the job just as well. I do not really find too much of difference in my trout landing when using a drag or clicker; both do the job fine for me. As el jefe said above, beyond getting the balance I desire on a rod (which is a preference, much as hand retrieve, as there is no universally agreed principle for determining the balance point), the aesthetics are very, very important to my rods. That's why I am sort of sad that Hatch basically abandoned those of us who are trout guys -- not that we need the Iconic in 2+ -- but because we lose out now on the opportunity to put a little, but very manly 3.2oz 2+ Iconic on our fun little 3 wts. I mean who doesn't want a rod that screams "I have a shrunken manly reel on me that could handle a steelhead or bonefish?" I know my rods want that, especially my GS 773, and what is more, a part of me shares this love of the rugged and the manly. In fact, when talking to my quiver, they have voiced the idea that, in no uncertain terms, they want the reel to hold the line needed and to make them look rugged and manly. I am glad this is how my quiver feels; likely it rings true for you rugged, manly chaps, too. For more on the importance of a manly reel, here are some further thoughts.

Not that I need a little Iconic, but it would have been a cool, rugged option for my little fun rods...

Last edited:

jds108

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the review and your well written piece. Always good to learn about the guts of any of these sealed reels.

WorknPlay

Reaction score
Has anyone seen or bought/received their Hatch Iconic reel yet? Any first hand reports to make on the new reel? After looking at a few new rods of mine and going over the specs on the new Iconic reels, I am getting an itchy trigger finger. Take Care

jwbowen

Reaction score
I have a 4plus black and grey. I haven't fished it yet. It is a nice looking
reel but so are a lot of others. I would have been fine with the previous
version of the 4 plus but the price of used one wasn't that much of a
price break. I never had any issues with my other Hatch reels and
the upgrades to this one probably won't make any difference with
the fish I catch. Here is the reel and another 4000 hardy for comparison.

I want to say its about 6.8 oz with the 5wt line I have on it.
The other reel is Hardy 4000 MTX-S about 5.5 oz with 5wt line. I did
a poor job of photographing the much larger spool size of the MTX.

Attachments

Last edited:

WorknPlay

Reaction score
I have a 4plus black and grey. I haven't fished it yet. It is a nice looking
reel but so are a lot of others. I would have been fine with the previous
version of the 4 plus but the price of used one wasn't that much of a
price break. I never had any issues with my other Hatch reels and
the upgrades to this one probably won't make any difference with
the fish I catch. Here is the reel and another 4000 hardy for comparison.

I want to say its about 6.8 oz with the 5wt line I have on it.
The other reel is Hardy 4000 MTX-S about 5.5 oz with 5wt line. I did
a poor job of photographing the much larger spool size of the MTX.
Thank you for the pictures and information. Just like with my rods, I seem to be all over the place with five or six brands of reels that I use. They each go well with the rod I use them on, which seems to work for me. I really like Galvan and Sage reels for the trout and cutthroat fly fishing that I do. I just bought another Galvan Rush Light #6 reel today for a new rod. With that said, I have always wanted to try a Hatch reel and have looked at the old Gen 2 a few times. I do believe that I will try out one of the Iconic 5+ reels in the near future. I like that grey/black color they have as well. Take Care