Have you broken your rod?

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I have made a new poll in the Fly Rods sub forum. This because the original poll is ten years old and while the years have passed some of us have had an additional misfortune but if you had already entered a response into the polling data you are not allowed to do it again. That's a problem if we expect to gather anything resembling data on how rods often are broken.

So if you have previously found the poll but were unable to use it due to replying years ago there is a new one now. I posted here because this is a topic that interests me and I'd like to update the data collection.

okaloosa

Reaction score
to the best of my knowlege I have only broken 5 fly rods in over 50 years of fly fishing
1)lamigalss 7.5 ft 5 wt with a hard tug after hanging up on the bottom in subfreezing weather...stupid user error..
2)original GLX 9 ft 7wt in ceiling fan ...stupid user error
3)original GLX 9 ft 7wt after 10 years of slinging heavy clousers ....only so much a lightweight clouser rod can be expected to take
4)TFO 9ft 10 wt high sticking a big bass...stupid user error....
5)original Orvis Saltwater series 9ft 9wt putting ridiculous pressure on a large Bonito in the days Orvis had the best warranty.
have not broken a rod in over 10 yrs (knock on wood).

JoJer

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I 'fessed up last time to how I broke my son's new rod. I'm too embarrassed to do it again.

jzim

Reaction score
I broke my 4 wt trying to land my first brown trout. Didn't realize tht due to bad casting technique my line was wrapped around the tip. After realizing th rod broke I started to bring the line in by hand thinking the brown got off. Felt a tug, the trout was still on. Landed it.

okaloosa

Reaction score
I broke my 4 wt trying to land my first brown trout. Didn't realize tht due to bad casting technique my line was wrapped around the tip. After realizing th rod broke I started to bring the line in by hand thinking the brown got off. Felt a tug, the trout was still on. Landed it.
Don't feel bad, that can happen to even the most experienced fly fisherman.....

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I broke a rod I was rebuilding back in the mid '80s. I put a bit too much heat on it trying to soften some epoxy. Rod broke clean in half like it was made of butter ---a unique learning experience I'll never forget.

brooktrout21

Reaction score
I rebuilt a split cane back in high school. I’m was an older rod but I was determined to bring it to life and fish it. I broke a few inches off the tip, nothing crazy just fishing. Repaired it and broke it again.

I broke a few inches off the tip of a sage 4wt as a teenager. I was generally late getting back to the truck on any fishing trip. On this day I was really late convincing myself to turn around. I always had to see what was in the next hole. Turns out running full speed down a trout stream isn’t the best idea after all.

Never have broken one on a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

serengeti

Reaction score
A whole bunch of knocking on wood before this post. I have only broken one rod and it was due to not paying attention and not thinking. I grew up with 2 piece rods but made the change when the 4 piece rod came along. I do a lot of casting in my back yard, I usually put my reel on and assemble the rod like it's a 2 piece rod then go outside and do the reverse going back inside. On this particular day I took the rod down in 3 and 1 pieces, the one piece being the butt end. I proceeded through the door thinking I had 2 equal pieces in my hand holding the rod at my side pointing up and let the screen door cut off the top 6 inches of my rod. I won't make that mistake again.

Leo

pheldozer

Reaction score
haven't broken one on a fish yet.
broke a 3wt in the car door after catching my first 20' trout

broke a nymphing rod twice. first time, it was when i set the hook and shot the rig up into a tree. went to free it on my forward stroke without realizing the line had wrapped around the tip> snap.

second time was in the middle section from a previous impact. was going for a long water loaded cast with a heavy bobber rig and the rod snapped as soon as it was fully loaded

bigal36

Reaction score
2x, both on my g. loomis 10' 3wt.

First was letting the door close on the the last foot...hadn't adjusted my entry to the garage.

Second was the replacement rod - Since I live 10 minutes from my home rive, I often stick the reel on the dash and the rod out the sliding rear window...though back was open.

I lost the tip of that replacement hiking through the thicket.

Did that same thing again on my home water.

4x on the same rod.....I am very thankful for the g. loomis warranty.

hvenegaard

Reaction score
2 rods over 30 years ago. They were spinning rods, so I won´t loose points the day I stand before Saint Peter :)

satyr

Reaction score
Broke my first carbon rod, a Scott 904 G when I dropped the cooler on the tip. Bought a new tip. This was before rod makers had warrantees.
A friend broke my Winston 906 when he pulled the line right near the tip in frustration. He paid the fee.
I broke the last 4 inches off my Sage 864 just from wear while casting. I paid the fee.
A friend broke my Scott 906 G. Don't know how since I wasn't with him. I paid the fee but hope to still recover it from him. This one was in the last year and was relatively expensive since the rod is so old.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
One incident I'd forgotten about, but not about a fly rod ---some decades ago a loose boat battery in the back of a buddy's pickup truck slid into my custom Loomis baitcasting rod and broke off about ten inches of the tip.

fq13

Reaction score
Dude! I am from South Florida where ceiling fans are a constant. I am responsible for Reddingto n changing their warranty! :cool: But a useful tip! There is a company on Amazon that sells a U shaped magnet for about $12 that will hold a rod upright against your car. Worth four times the price as no more stepping on the rod or door accidents (yeah, I am that guy) but just spinning rods in this case. No joke, but this gizmo is worth every penny. The company is Anglers Accessories search fly rod holders. It the best twelve bucks you will spend.