Hawaii?

matt_geiman

Reaction score
I'll be in Kauai, Maui and Oahu this July and would like to book a guided trip for a day. Have any suggestions on where/what to do, and guide suggestions? From what I've reserched the bonefish in Oahu look like the best bet but I'm open to what ever you recomend. Thanks!

Last edited:

ryc72

Reaction score
I've never done it but there's peacock bass on Kauai. Wanted to do it when I was there years ago but the guide was booked up for the days I was there. There's also peacock bass on Oahu and I've done that and it was just okay. It was fun but the fish were not that big and the scenery wasn't that nice although we did catch fish using bait and spinning tackle all day.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
There's a fly shop in Honolulu that books guides for Bonefish & other species. I was there once & didn't do any fishing as I was unaware of it until after I was back home. That seems like a good way to go when on Oahu.

ryc72

Reaction score
I've never fished with him but this was the first thing that popped up when you google Kauai peacock bass. Bass Fishing Kauai
I've also gone deep sea fishing while in Kauai and like most deep sea fishing trips it was underwhelming. pretty much an expensive boat ride and nap with a couple of 10lb mahi-mahi caught on tackle meant for marlin.

jgraham

Reaction score
Matt, I currently live on Oahu! I fish frequently. I will gladly take you out free of charge. Plenty of opportunity on foot as well for Bones. Ill shoot you a PM brother.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

PM Sent my man. Mike Hennesy (Hawaii On The Fly) is a GREAT guide. One of the best around, and hands down the best on island. The fly shop on Oahu is call Nervous Waters, owners name is Shawn. GREAT guy with outstanding service. Just shoot me a call or text (number in PM) and I'll set you up.

hi tide

Business Member
Reaction score
Oahu or Molokai had the usual flats with plenty of sight fishing. Most anglers fly to Oahu for a day or two of fishing on Oahu. Kauai also has limited deeper reefs and flats.

Capt. Jesse Cheape

wldlndfirefghtr

Reaction score
Hello, currently just got to Waikiki for a family vacation and decided to bring my 6 weight with me. Picked up an older SA Bonefish line and some flies, figure I'd sneak off in the mornings and do some casting. Daughter's a little fisher woman and wants to get out too, also brought a light spin rod.

Any tips on fishing near the area around the harbor near the Hilton/Ala Moana Beach Park? Best to fish a the first half of a changing tide?

Just looking to get connected with any type of fish to have a bit of fun.

Appreciate the help and direction.

Aloha and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

luj333

Reaction score
Anyone live on Maui that gets out and fly fishes often? Going to spend a few days there in Dec.

jgraham

Reaction score
Maui, around Lahaina has some good fishing. Caught a few small bones while over there last year. Can't miss the flat.

vanwagw

Reaction score
I've never fished with him but this was the first thing that popped up when you google Kauai peacock bass. Bass Fishing Kauai
I've also gone deep sea fishing while in Kauai and like most deep sea fishing trips it was underwhelming. pretty much an expensive boat ride and nap with a couple of 10lb mahi-mahi caught on tackle meant for marlin.

I have heard that

Tajue17

Reaction score
for bones I fished with Mike Hennessey,,,, Hawaii on the Fly

I forget what guide I used for Oahu Peacock bass but found him on their bass fishing forum Welcome to Hawaii Bass Fishing: The best fishing in Hawaii..

for bonefish from the shore I fished with Louie the fish,,,, he makes cool stuff. but on the side he does shore guiding with fly rod not sure if he still does Hawaii I know he went back and fourth to NZ & HI, its cool because the rest of your vacation you can still go back to those spots "that only a local would know about"

https://www.facebook.com/bonecarvin/

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Wife 2.0 and I had staff on three of the Islands; annual trip of grin and grip. Next two weeks here: Hotel Waimea Plantation Cottages, a Coast Resort, Waimea (Kauai), United States of America - Lowest Rate Guaranteed!

One of 'my ladies,' Mortgage Loan Underwriter's Husbands' ran these places.
Compted in. Well kinda-sorta ... her daughter was living with us going to Uiniversity. **

Conversation from hell (not really) ... 'I've met a Boy ... I think I love him ...' :rolleyes:

"Bring him to my office we will talk." Two rug rats, both now in their 40's, one was named after me. :faint:

Her Wedding .. 'Mr. Evans will you dance with me?'

'We shall do a slow waltze.'

Tap on the shoulder, Chairman of the Board, ''May I cut in."'

Found out much late, Maggie, 17.5 years my Admin Asst. ... 'He's a siff ass Canadian, I adjust his shirt and tie, you want to talk to him .. you talk to me first. No one question her word.

jplee3

Reaction score

hi tide

Business Member
Reaction score
Check out Nervous Water fly shop in Honolulu - decent help there. There are a number of spots that you can check out east of Diamond Head.
Nervous Water Fly Fishers - Fly Fishing Shop & Guide Service in Hawaii
I heard Ed Tamai is the go-to guide there.

For Kauai, Rob Arita is the man for bonefish. Not cheap but he's super cool and fishy. I'm sure he'll know where to go or who to go with for Peacock bass too.
Kauai Fly Fishing Bonefishing - Hawaii Fly Fishing for the Elusive Hawaiian Bonefish
Check us out at HI Tide Fishing | Hawaii Fly Fishing Guides | we use flats boats designed for fly fishing for that true guided flats fishing experience.

Bonesonthebrain

Reaction score
Check out Nervous Water fly shop in Honolulu - decent help there. There are a number of spots that you can check out east of Diamond Head.
Nervous Water Fly Fishers - Fly Fishing Shop & Guide Service in Hawaii
I heard Ed Tamai is the go-to guide there.

For Kauai, Rob Arita is the man for bonefish. Not cheap but he's super cool and fishy. I'm sure he'll know where to go or who to go with for Peacock bass too.
Kauai Fly Fishing Bonefishing - Hawaii Fly Fishing for the Elusive Hawaiian Bonefish
Fished with Rob at Anini Beach, really nice. Hope to do a trip to Molokai with him soon.

ssd1855

Reaction score
I am heading to Maui in a few days. Could anyone tell me if it’s worth bringing some rods?