Hawks Cay in June

okiekev

Reaction score
Taking the family to Hawks Cay on Duck Key next month for my daughters birthday and while it is a dedicated family trip the 8 wt Asquith might just tag along. I am curious if anyone has any pointers for an hour or two in the mornings or if maybe there are opportunities on the property. Thanks in advance.

osseous

Reaction score
Bend in the road on Grassy Key- Oceanside. First light

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

okiekev

Reaction score
Well, no exciting news to report. I snuck away one morning and one afternoon with minimal interactions with bones or permit. I only saw two bonefish the morning I fished but never got into position on them. The rest of my time was filled with a bunch of sharks, rays, and cudas. I was blown away at the number of sharks that I saw this trip.

ON the bright side, as a family we went out with a local guide for some fun fishing a couple of days. The name of the charter was actually Florida Keys Fun Fishing and I would highly recommend them to get the kids engaged. The first day, we focused strictly on sharks and got 4 to the boat, 3 large nurse sharks and a big lemon. My oldest daughter also caught a good ray. While waiting for the sharks, they stayed busy with jacks, and little snapper. The second trip we focused on jacks, trout, snapper, and cuda. Caught some nice trout and then when the action slowed, we trolled for barracuda with tube lures on the surface. The kids loved riding on the bow and spotting the cuda then running to the back to watch them turn and smash the lures. We ended the trip doing a bit of shallow water snorkeling and had a blast.

So while I didn't get to dedicate much time to fly fishing, I would say it was overall a fantastic trip and well worth it!

Attachments