Headed to Silver Lake in New Hampshire for a Week

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
My girl friend's family have a place on Silver Lake in New Hampshire. I was there last year but didn't do any fishing. But the blueberry picking was good. From what I found online there are rainbow and lake trout in it. Anyone fish it? I was wondering what flies or rods to bring. They do have kayaks so getting around is doable.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Not Silver Lake itself, but I've fished lots of places around there.
If it's like any of those, I'd concentrate on small mouth rather than trout. That and pan fish.
I'd suspect the small mouth fishing would be excellent
To fish for lake trout in the summer you're going to have to go a lot deeper than is reasonable with fly tackle.

If it has to be trout, just to the west in the Hemenway State Forest , the Swift River is fly fishing only and the many streams in that area that flow out of the southern White Mtns have enough wild brook trout to keep you busy.
The Saco River and it's tributary the Ellis River, north of North Conway are both well known trout streams.
And I think that there's even a fly shop in North Conway that could give you some tips.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't even think about river fishing. For bass in lakes would I use poppers at surface or streamers?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I'm kind of a popper snob like some people might be dry fly snobs
Fishing on top is just more fun, and especially when the bass make the water explode.
Dawn or dusk is prime time and small mouth like boulder fields, points and drop-offs.
By all means try different retrieves but remember, unlike large mouth that will eyeball a stationary popper for ages, small mouth generally like "fast food"

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
Interesting the difference in small and large mouth bass. I have some poppers I haven't use since I was living in Nashville more than 21 years ago. I'll be sure to pack them. And bringing two rods and 3 reels- euro, dry fly and streamer/sinking lines and 6 fly boxes. Should be prepared for just about anything.

Last edited:

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I did find a map online of fishing areas in Conway and off Road 112. A couple of covered bridges in the area, those will be nice to see. That was a good suggestion Rip Tide, thanks.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Rt 112 is the Kancamagus Highway (the Kanc). A big time scenic east-west road through the mountains.
There's a different Swift River there that has very, very popular swimming holes. I've fished that river before where it goes through the campgrounds but I can think of others that would be less crowded.
Definitely check it out though.

Last edited:

crashfromboston

Reaction score
My grandparents had a place on Silver Lake, i never got to go fishing with him as i was too little but my brothers remember tons and tons of white perch and a few small mouths. No one remembers the bait but go with small minnows and grubs based on wp. Best of luck. And yes the blueberries are everywhere up there.