Headhunter Fly Line for Sage T-LL

mandotrout

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new line to use with my Sage T-LL 490. I've been using an Airflo double taper line and it's worked okay. That's the line I already had on my 4 weight reel. The rod I was using it on before is a good bit softer than the T-LL. I want to try Rio Technical Trout since that has been recommended by some on the forum. The Headhunters website says that the T-LL is the Sage rod they recommend using their Headhunter fly line on. I'm not familiar with this kind of long gradual taper (I guess it resembles a triangle taper?) and am wondering why they would recommend it for the T-LL. Any thoughts from people who have used this line or might have an idea what it would be like on this rod are appreciated. I tend to keep things pretty simple. An SA Smooth Trout is probably what I would normally try, but fly lines are expensive and I'll be stuck with whatever I choose for a little while at least.

czando

Reaction score
I had that exact rod this spring but traded it for the 486. From what I remember the rod did not like the headhunter line which is a line I like but not for that rod. I would try the tech trout which what I have on my LL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osseous

Reaction score
I fish the Orvis Pro Trout (modern version of the Triangle Taper with a better coating) on my 690TLL. I'm not familiar with the Headhunter's taper or weight. I would NOT over line that 490- make sure the line you choose is as close to a true aftma rating as possible and I think you'll be pretty happy.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

proheli

Reaction score
I have both the SA Amp Trout and OPT T for med flexing Pure 904. Both are true weight. The 490LL could be a real technical bomber with that SA line, Perfect for long casts with dry flys. I know that some have felt that command at distance was the strength of the LL when compared to the.GS or Pure, so that SA line could really shine. That said, I’m mostly interested in the OPT right now. Lays the fly down soft with lots of line control and keeps the rod loaded better for me. I haven’t seen the Rio TT yet. That’s my 2c.

mandotrout

Reaction score
I too have a new T-LL 490 and am curious what line you chose and how it worked out.
After all that I decided to stay with a double taper line for the 490. I've never been a big fan of weight forward lines for the kind of rods I prefer, even though I have been trying them more lately. I'm afraid a WF line on the LL might make the tip feel like a catapult (to me). RIO put their new SlickCast line out in a DT Technical Trout (Premier) and that's what I went with. I haven't fished it yet. I have used the new SlickCast line on another of my rigs and so far it's living up to the advertising claims. Only time will tell how durable it is, but so far so good.

Reactions: cjp

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I have tried both SA Trout and (last years not SC) RIO Gold & Tech Trout on my T LL 8 1/2'/#4. Gold was fine but a bit too aggressive and both Trout and Tech Trout which have very similar specs were fine with the edge going to the RIO. These three lines are WF, however, due to their elongated rear tapers they function rather like a DT but with the benefit of the belly getting progressively thinner so they do not overweight the rod tip as much, kind of the best of both worlds. So, I'm currently fishing a regular Tech Trout on T LL but am ordering several Elite lines for it and some other rods. I have been fishing Elite Gold on my Igniter and it has spread the word to the other rods with it in the travel tube.