Heading to Key West.

manderson2228

Reaction score
So i am normally found in the woods of southern appalacia hunting trout. Next week I am heading down to key west on vacation and thought i might want to try some bonefish or flats fishing. First, I can't do boats, i get sea sick easily and that makes for a bad day. Is there anywhere I can get a guide and some fly fishing or does it all require boats? Anyone recommend any guides?

Also if you know where the best key lime pie is I won't turn that advice away ;)

wiAngler

Reaction score
No to be snarky, but the biggest advantage of flats fishing is that unlike deep sea you avoid being on a rocking boat all day and still have great opportunity at awesome fish. If you don't get sick in a car ride through southern appalacia I wouldn't think you would have a problem flats fishing.

bonefish41

Reaction score
KW flats is a flats skiff. Look at the Angling Company site ...I would suggest after examining and ascertaining whether the "freight" charge is worth it ...ask for a booking...then get some Bonine or Dramimine if a 1 -2 foot chop will send you over the gunnel...next week is a great time to be in KW flats fishing...

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Beware, the Margaritas in KW tend to be too sweet. There are books written about the local pie, try them all and you tell us. Personally I favor the pie crust over the Graham Cracker crust versions. I have gotten sea sick out in deep water with multi directional swells of substance but never in a flats skiff...my favorite kind of boat and all but a necessity fishing in the Keys.

Scootermax

Reaction score
Beware, the Margaritas in KW tend to be too sweet. There are books written about the local pie, try them all and you tell us. Personally I favor the pie crust over the Graham Cracker crust versions. I have gotten sea sick out in deep water with multi directional swells of substance but never in a flats skiff...my favorite kind of boat and all but a necessity fishing in the Keys.
I know, this is after your trip, but might be helpful for anyone planning a fishing trip to Key West. Try to fish north of Key West, it is the calmest, and most protected with nice flats and big basins.
The Shadowcaster charter in Key West is who I recommend. Most all of the backcountry guides in KW are good, I think he is the best. Usually not much, if any, chop unless it is extremely windy, then you can find lee side of an island. He is personable, knowledgeable, and it’s like fishing with a good friend. His equipment/boat is always in great shape.
Two Friends restaurant on Front street has great Key Lime pie, buy one and get a coupon for a free one next time.

If your like me and can’t afford a guide more than a day or two, here are some public access fishing spots White Street Pier, evening or sunrise is best, all shallow water. Truman Annex, just past the retired Coast Guard ship “Mohawk” , plenty of room to fish with deep water, but no access after 6 pm. Smathers beach early morning/late evening. Fort Zachary Taylor state park, no fishing from beach, but can fish from the big breakwater rocks (and the snack bar serves beer) There is a gate fee.