Heading to N.E. Georgia

Wilbur T

Reaction score
The wife and I are heading up to Clayton. Forecast is calling for rain so I know hoppers and san wan worms will be good. Can anyone give me some intel on the area? Not looking for spots, just things to be aware of for safety, big water, etc. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Wilbur T

Reaction score
I will say one thing the folks at Reeves Ace Hardware Fly Shop in Clayton Ga. are first rate! Great personnel, large selection of product, and reasonable prices. Very open and helpful with information. Definitely not trout snobs!

flafly14

Reaction score
Hey Wilbur,

Just stumbled on this thread while doing a little research for my first trip to GA for some trout fishing. I'll go maybe in July or Aug I think. How'd your trip go? Would you do the Clayton area again?

Wilbur T

Reaction score
Clayton is just about in the middle of everything on the Eastern side of the state. Lots of places just west, and the Chattooga River to the East. The folks at the fly shop will send in the right direction. Our trip was great, we needed to get gone for a while. As of the time of our trip the National Forest Service campgrounds were still closed so plan accordingly. Nice hotels and commercial campgrounds in the area. They are still being very serious about covid19 in that part of the world.

jwbowen

Reaction score
Hey Wilbur,

Just stumbled on this thread while doing a little research for my first trip to GA for some trout fishing. I'll go maybe in July or Aug I think. How'd your trip go? Would you do the Clayton area again?
I am sure you know but water is very warm and low usually in July and August.

Wilbur T

Reaction score
You are right about that JW. The end of may is the latest I've been up there. Georgia DNR stocks heavily till the end of summer. Big water with deep pools may be the ticket. I could see where fishing blue lines for wild trout could be extremely difficult at that time, not to mention hard on the fish. Thanks for your contribution to this thread!