Hello All

Blu4415

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop by and say hello and introduce myself. I am new to all of this by new I mean within a couple of months new. I went on a couple hour outing with project healing waters recently and that was the first time I have really left my house besides doctors appointments in quite some time. Just in those couple of hours I was sparked with a new vigor to learn something new and a new reason to hang on another day. While I am saving up to get my own set up to fish with I a trying to learn as much as I can. I am a sponge right now so hopefully you won't lead me wrong.
I forgot I am in Ohio, for some reason they said to post that.
Be safe out there

Ross_S

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of fly fishing. So, from what you have said, and partly I feel I am assuming. Were you on the veteran end of project healing waters? If so, would you mind sharing some of your story?

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Blu! Welcome to the forum! A lot of good folks here that are more than willing to help you along with your fly fishing carer!

PHW is a wonderful organization and has certainly helped out a lot of vets. There are several supporters on this forum.

Thank you for your service!

Denny

Blu4415

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of fly fishing. So, from what you have said, and partly I feel I am assuming. Were you on the veteran end of project healing waters? If so, would you mind sharing some of your story?
I am veteran. When I get back from the Doc in a bit I will share some of my story for you.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people willing to help on here. Don't be shy about asking questions. We were all beginners at some time.

Thank you for your service.
steve

Blu4415

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledgeable people willing to help on here. Don't be shy about asking questions. We were all beginners at some time.

Thank you for your service.
steve
Thank you. I will defenitly have lots of questions I am sure. There is a lot to learn.

Blu4415

Reaction score
Hi Blu! Welcome to the forum! A lot of good folks here that are more than willing to help you along with your fly fishing carer!

PHW is a wonderful organization and has certainly helped out a lot of vets. There are several supporters on this forum.

Thank you for your service!

Denny
Thank you. I look forward to getting to know people in this forum. As well as doing more outings with PHW it is an amazing orginzation.

Blu4415

Reaction score
Welcome Blu!

By the way, I forgot that I was in Ohio once too, but it involved too many Mickey's Bigmouths.

😂 next time you are here please let me know. That way I can point you to something decent and away from Mickey's lol

Blu4415

Reaction score
As per your request. Army Infantryman for 11 years 2 deployments. 1 pretty good IED blast that gave me a moderate/severe tbi. That led to some memory loss and other problems. Which led to PTSD and depression to the point where the army medically retired me. Now I sit at home and have a fear of leaving my house. I have been like this for years. That turns into suicidal ideation and attempts and eventually just self isolation. You lose all of those close to you. I have pushed everyone out of my life. I was really having a bad time about a month ago and I called the veterans affairs suicide hotline and as I was talking to the guy on the line he just mentioned he was a veteran and that project healing waters helped him. I signed up and my local chapter has not been doing anything because of covid, but about a month ago they got a few of us together to go to a pond to fish and I was nervous, had 3 panic attacks. Way outside my comfort zone, but I made it and it was a great experience. That few hours on the water made me feel semi normal. I have been trying get my own outfit now so I can find a place to go where no one is around and maybe find that peace again.

Hopefully that answers your question.

Ross_S

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing, and for serving. Fly fishing is definitely a great way to be out in God's creation and be able to enjoy it. I'm happy you made out with healing waters, hopefully you will get out there with them again.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Welcome.

Do you live anywhere near Hueston Woods State Park? I used to go there when I was with the Red Cross. We had our annual regional meetings there. It was a beautiful area.

Kim

Blu4415

Reaction score
It is about an hour and a half from me. I have been there but it had been years. You are right it is a beautiful area for certain.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Hello Blu and welcome to the forum! Thank -you for serving our country. I am sorry to hear of the things that you have gone through. But I am glad to hear that you enjoy fly fishing and have chosen to pursue it.

Dave

Nonno

Very Jaded Member
Reaction score
Welcome Blu. I am a Vietnam era vet, though I did not get deployed I had many close friends plus my younger brother who did. I find what I like best is just standing in a riffle casting, and breathing. Actually hooking a trout is nice, but just being there is the best.