Hello All

Esteban Urban

Reaction score
Just wanted to stop by and say hello and introduce myself. I am new to all of this by new I mean within a couple of months new. I went on a couple hour outing with project healing waters recently and that was the first time I have really left my house besides doctors appointments in quite some time. Just in those couple of hours I was sparked with a new vigor to learn something new and a new reason to hang on another day. While I am saving up to get my own set up to fish with I a trying to learn as much as I can. I am a sponge right now so hopefully you won't lead me wrong.
I forgot I am in Ohio, for some reason they said to post that.
Be safe out there
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forum as well as fly fishing.
Best regards from Paragonia Argentina.
Esteban.

Blu4415

Reaction score
Hello Blu and welcome to the forum! Thank -you for serving our country. I am sorry to hear of the things that you have gone through. But I am glad to hear that you enjoy fly fishing and have chosen to pursue it.

Dave
Thank you Dave. Glad to be here and can't wait to learn more.

Blu4415

Reaction score
Nonno, Thank you for your service and the service of those close to you. I will treasure those moments as much as the moments of landing a trout believe me. Everyday is a blessing

Blu4415

Reaction score
Davitticus, I think either 5wt or 6. 9' I have been debating this very question. I live close to a lake, but I also am not far from good streams and rivers.
What would you recommend?

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Davitticus, I think either 5wt or 6. 9' I have been debating this very question. I live close to a lake, but I also am not far from good streams and rivers.
What would you recommend?
It really depends on what species you plan on going after and the size fish you might encounter in the body of water that you plan to fish.

dennyk

Reaction score
Mostly trout and smallmouth. Occasionally bluegill and a perch will hit
Trout and panfish you would be fine with a 5 weight, however adding Smallmouth I'd go with a 6 weight. The 6 will give you much more latitude with the size of flies/streamers you can utilize without struggling. If you don't already have a rod/reel/line in mind take a look at the Orvis Clearwater complete outfit. If you have access to an Orvis shop you can go and cast one, Orvis is pretty good about casting help as well, at least the store I frequent is. I sincerely hope you can attend more of the PHW gatherings, great comradeship and folks that know a thing or two about fly fishing.

Denny

Reactions: spm

Blu4415

Reaction score
Denny, Thanks for the information. I do have an Orvis close. I will check their store out and see what they reccomend. I am hoping to get back out there soon with PHW this pandemic has really thrown a wrench in everything. Again, I appreciate your advice. Take care of yourself

Blu4415

Reaction score
Davitticus, thank you. I will defenitly use that advice. I know eventually you end up with more rods for different situations. Just hoping to find something that maybe I can land 1 or 2 fish this year that would make me pretty darn excited!

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
I have owned various wt rods over the years, as I fish for panfish, trout, bass, carp steelhead, and Salmon. I find that, while fighting big fish is a real treat, I actually enjoy casting, and fishing, with the smaller wt rods. 4 and 5 wt I enjoy the most. So I base most of my fishing around trout, panfish and smaller Bass. I have decided that I may give up Steelhead and Salmon as I am not enjoying the crowds any more. I has always been a circus, but even more so, the past few years.

Blu4415

Reaction score
That sounds terrible. I hate crowds. The whole point of this for me is to be away and relax. To find a peaceful spot and just enjoy myself. So I will probably stay away from steelhead as well, but might have to give it a go at least once so I can say I did it.

Davitticus Maximus

Reaction score
Well there are places to fish for Steelhead that are not to crowded but the most popular spots are. I don't mind fishing near others as long as the are acting normal. Unfortunately things get more rowdy as time goes on. Don't get me wrong, I have had alot of fun.

Blu4415

Reaction score
I am sure you did. Maybe with time and when I can deal with being around people better I van give it a go. At least to say I tried it.

spm

Reaction score
Trout and panfish you would be fine with a 5 weight, however adding Smallmouth I'd go with a 6 weight. The 6 will give you much more latitude with the size of flies/streamers you can utilize without struggling. If you don't already have a rod/reel/line in mind take a look at the Orvis Clearwater complete outfit. If you have access to an Orvis shop you can go and cast one, Orvis is pretty good about casting help as well, at least the store I frequent is. I sincerely hope you can attend more of the PHW gatherings, great comradeship and folks that know a thing or two about fly fishing.

Denny
Blu,
I agree with Denny; a 9' 6wt Orvis Clearwater outfit would do just about anything you want it to. And yes, Orvis is very good about letting you test drive it in the parking lot. The outfit comes with rod, reel, line and backing; everything you need to get started, but leader and flies. And I'd be willing to bet there are at least a half-dozen members on this forum that would happily send you a box of flies to get started. I know I will. PM me your mailing address and I'll get one out to you.

Best of luck,
steve

Blu4415

Reaction score
Hey Steve, I do have an Orvis close "ish" to me. I was going to stop by there this week and check it out. I was also going to check out. I heard from some guy that the line they use on the outfit is not very good and I should upgrade that, but besides that it is a good deal. I would imagine being new I wouldn't be able to tell if it had 10 dollar line or 100 to be honest.
I don't have the post history to pm you. I sure would appreciate some flies. That would be very helpful and I would be thankful.

spm

Reaction score
Hey Steve, I do have an Orvis close "ish" to me. I was going to stop by there this week and check it out. I was also going to check out. I heard from some guy that the line they use on the outfit is not very good and I should upgrade that, but besides that it is a good deal. I would imagine being new I wouldn't be able to tell if it had 10 dollar line or 100 to be honest.
I don't have the post history to pm you. I sure would appreciate some flies. That would be very helpful and I would be thankful.
Don't worry about the line, for now. Use what comes with the outfit and learn with it. Technique trumps equipment, every time. You can upgrade as you progress.

steve