Hello from Salt Lake City!

rorschah

Reaction score
First time poster! I’m a teacher in Salt Lake City. I’ve been fly-fishing (obsessively) for 6 months now.

I actually first tried to learn how to flyfish in Los Angeles, 15 years ago. Turned out: tough place to do that. Later, I moved to Salt Lake City. I didn’t actually take up flyfishing again at first - I was too busy rock climbing. Occasionally I’d take a spin rod with me hiking. But this last summer, I was so burned out from Zoom teaching and writing my first book, that I needed to take a long break. Learning to flyfish turned out to be the perfect thing. I love it, and it was also somehow just the right thing to cure my Zoom-burned-out mind.

Over the course of 6 months, I’ve gone from total klutz who can’t cast a thing and trips over his own line, to starting to be able to get some fish in the easy high-mountain lakes, to being able to fish semi-effectively in the tough overfished rivers (the Provo), to a high point of catching a big (for me) brown on a dry one beautiful sunset at the Green River.

Oh - maybe funny to some of you - professionally, I research about the philosophy of games. I wrote a book about the beauty of games - and my definition of “game” includes board games, sports, card games, and video games. (The book is here, for the curious: https://oxford.universitypressschol.../oso/9780190052089.001.0001/oso-9780190052089 )

Too bad I hadn't discovered fly-fishing when I wrote it - it would have been another perfect example of a game whose rules and goals push you into beautiful puzzle-solving and beautiful motion.

-thi

iv_wjb

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! You’re certainly in a beautiful part of the world to enjoy the outdoors... Utah is one of my favourite places to visit. Congratulations on your book & all the best in your adventures in fly fishing!

new2flyfishing

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Wishing you success with your book!

Denny
Second this. I really liked Utah the couple times I was there even though it was in the dead of winter. Burr! What little I saw of Salt Lake City looked exceptionally clean. This was over 45 years ago so don't know what it looks like today.

WWKimba

Reaction score
Another welcome to the site from central NY! You'll find that this site is loaded with many fine tyers, fishers, teachers and just overall nice folks! I'm a born and bred central NYer - live just a stones throw from the Great New York State Fairgrounds. I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for almost 11 years now. I, too, started fishing light/ultralight tackle and was tying flies ~5 years before I first fly fished! You and I have another thing in common - we're both published. Of course mine was a book written at the 3rd grade reading level on first aid for New Reader's Press/Laubach Literacy Program. I figured since that's my reading level (and my Mom is a retired 3rd grade teacher!) - why not! Actually I was the professional in charge of first aid/CPR programs for the Red Cross and New Readers asked if I would help out.

I hope that we cross paths on the site and until then,

Tight lines,

Kim

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome from one newbie to another. Your Zoom burnout solution sounds familiar. Learning something new and spending time outdoors has been a good antidote to Zoom fatigue.