Hello from SC

Southerncaster

Reaction score
I've been aware of this website for a while --whenever doing a searches on FF gear, this site always came up, but I had constant trouble with my computer crashing whenever trying to access it using I.E. So today I switched over to firefox and no problems so far. So, hello!

I've been fly fishing for approximately 37 years now. Started off in saltwater when living in west cental FL during the 1980s. Now, in my home state of SC, I primarily fish for stripers, smallies & trout, with occasional forays back to the salt.

I have some pretty good ff tackle and enjoy using it, although most of it is becoming as vintage as I am. I'm currently in the studying phase of getting a couple new rods for my 8 & 9 wt reels & lines.

I started learning to build rods in the early '80s --with my very first being 7.5ft 3wt on an early Loomis blank.

I also enjoy rebuilding, restoring and upgrading most all other types of fishing reels, primarily vintage (i.e., baitcasters, spinning reels, & Penn conventional saltwater reels), but that's as much as I'll say on that!!:)

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Welcome! I'm in SC too, Near the lower end of Lake Marion! I'm a transplant from MD. Love it here! :D

I never got into building rods, but do tie flies & make lures. Been doing both a very long time.

I understand your comment about the gear becoming as vintage as you are. I'm not quite that bad, but getting there. Some I use dates back into the 90's when I acquired it. Some is older, but I obtained it since the 90's. I had a house fire years ago ('86), and lost most of what I had then, which really wasn't a lot.

I also have a good number of older casting, spinning & trolling equipment. I enjoy fly fishing the most, but don't overlook the other methods. I have several older Penn's and ABU's that I use. The older I get the more I appreciate that older gear! ;)

Most fishing that I do is for Stripers or Bass, but I'll chase most anything when the opportunity allows. I don't mind dunking some bait for catfish sometimes.

Again, welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here! Lots of good folks with plenty of knowledge & experiences who are willing share! :thumbsup:

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Thanks big jim. I'm in the Columbia area. I've only fished Marion a few times and that was mostly way back when it was covered with hydrilla. Almost all my lake fishing in SC has been for stripers & bass in Murray; I primarily used baitcasters & spinning when in a bass fishing buddy's boat. Non-fly fishers don't appreciate a fly line whipping around over the boat, so I always try to be respectful to a boat partner --unless stripers start boiling on the surface nearby:).

My river fishing, however, is almost 100 percent fly. I generally try to tie most of my flies, but will buy them if I need to and I'm too busy with other stuff or just don't feel like tying.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Southerncaster

Welcome to the forum! We're glad you decided to join in with us and look forward to reading about your fly fishing adventures.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading about your fishing adventures in the SE.

steve

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes. There looks to be a huge amount of information on this site and a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people here. I'm looking forward to becoming part of it and even though I've been fly fishing for quite a while, I've still got an awful lot to learn.

JDR

Reaction score
I am sure you will find NAFFF to be a great site, with some a really knowledgeable and supportive group of members. With 37 years of experience I am sure as a new member, you too bring a lot to the table. Welcome.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome, brook. I'm looking forward to being here. The years didn't seem to have made me much smarter, but I'm hoping these forums will. I see you're from Asheville---one of my favorite towns, but it's been quite a few years since I've been up there.