Help choosing rod weight please

The Fisher King

Reaction score
I just started fly fishing this year and have been using an 8' 4wt Redington CT and I do like it when I have lots of line out but on my smaller streams where I often only have a few feet of line out, not so much. I also find the length just slightly too long for some places. I am getting ready to purchase something lighter and a little shorter to over-line with a 4wt line. I am thinking either a 2 or a 3wt CT since I really like the action and quality of the rod for the price, I just want something that feels softer and lighter that's still capable of roll casting a 4wt line without a lot of line on the water. I don't have anywhere to go and try rods before purchase. I have tried a couple glass rods and they are interesting and kind of fun but not really for me, I'd much prefer something graphite with a similar feel to glass without being quite as noodley. If any of y'all have a 2wt CT and feel it could easily be over-lined with 4wt for short casts, please let me know; it seems that purchasing a 3wt when I have a 4wt may be a bit redundant.

ryc72

Reaction score
why not shorten your leader a little and go one line weight up? that should help with the feel of the rod for smaller streams and shorter casts. so instead of a 9ft leader, maybe a 7ft leader and instead of a 4wt fly line, a 5wt line.

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
I like my 376 CT, try it with a 4 or even 5 weight line for short work. It really likes a DT3 line, but for a streamer or larger dry+dropper a 4 weight is better, shorter front taper perhaps.

The Fisher King

Reaction score
why not shorten your leader a little and go one line weight up? that should help with the feel of the rod for smaller streams and shorter casts. so instead of a 9ft leader, maybe a 7ft leader and instead of a 4wt fly line, a 5wt line.
I already use a leader betweem 7.5-8' and I'd rather have a rod with a lighter action than my 4wt which is why I didn't just choose to over line it. I want something softer and shorter.

Uncle Stu

Reaction score
If your streams are quite small, and you enjoy practicing an ancient eastern tradition ... check out tenkara style fly fishing.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
If your streams are quite small, and you enjoy practicing an ancient eastern tradition ... check out tenkara style fly fishing.
I second that. If you aren't going to cast much more than 20 feet or so, tenkara is great. I always carry my tenkara and keiryu rods in my pack and almost always use one or the other.

proheli

Reaction score
Based on what you are saying, that your rod is a little long sometimes and that you want to roll cast your 4wt line then the 7’6”3wt really does sound like a good option. Obviously you get to use the same reel and line. If there is a 7’0”2wt, then your 4 wt line might work for that too. I think a 7 foot 2wt or 3wt sounds like what you are after. If the 4wt line is too much for your 2wt rod, then you just have to find a 3wt line.

Last edited:

LOC

Reaction score
Based on what you are saying, that your rod is a little long sometimes and that you want to roll cast your 4 wt lin, then the 7’6”3wt really does sound like a good option. Obviously you get to use the same reel and line. If there is a 7’0”2wt, then your 4 wt line might work for that too. I think a 7 foot w wt or 3wt sounds like what you are after. If the 4wt line is too much for your 2wt rod, then you just have to find a 3 wt line.

I have a 6'6" small stream rod. The fly line I use is a chopped running line and there is no head and it works great for small stream fishing.

Work on your casting stroke so you don't have to rely on overlining a small stream rod. HTH

Also you are at the end of the line literally when it comes down to rod choice. I would not let rod redundancy play to big of a factor for you.
If the 3wt fits the bill get the 3wt.

Last edited:

patrick62

Reaction score
I fish several small mountain streams for brookies, and I have several rods I can use for the purpose.

The Cabelas CGR three-piece, six and a half foot four weight fiberglass rod is one of my favorites. I use a double taper four weight line from 406 Fly Lines, which is shorter than most lines and thus fits better on a small reel, like the Cabelas CGR click and pawl. (Now discontinued, unfortunately, but they do pop up on eBay now and then).

Not only is this rod eminently suited for the small stream task, it is inexpensive at about $70 (last I checked).

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Based on what you are saying, that your rod is a little long sometimes and that you want to roll cast your 4wt line then the 7’6”3wt really does sound like a good option.
A few thoughts....
If the main issue is the 8' 4 wt not loading for short casts, you might consider just getting a different line. I like the Barrio Small Stream. It's true to weight line, but the head is shorter so it functions like an overweighted line. Anyways, IMO it lives up to its name. Not sure of the current pricing, but when I got mine a couple years back it was around $40 shipped from the UK. Anyway, a new line would be your cheapest option.

But you did of course say you find your existing rod slightly too long. So if the length is just as much an issue as the weight, or if you just want another rod, then I agree with the above comment that the 7'6" 3 wt is the way to go. I have that rod and it's a terrific value. I haven't cast the CT 2 wt, but I just think a 2 is too much of specialty stick and that a 3 is a bit more versatile (though maybe that doesn't matter to you). Since both are 7'6", I'd personally go with the 763. It wasn't clear to me if the CT price point was your max budget or if you just are just leaning that way because it's a great value--which it is, not sure any rod scores higher on the price-to-quality scale. But if it's not, you might check out the Douglas Upstream. They make a 7'3" 3 wt. I have not cast that particular model, but the Upstreams are pretty full flexing for graphite and can load with little line out. But it's a very different price point. Good luck to you.

r reese

Reaction score
try to find an Orvis superfine carbon 7'4wt you wont be disappointed. I just found another one great price to have an extra

ts47

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents worth. You can decide if the advice I give is even worth that. ;)

The CT 7'6" 3wt rod that so many have suggested is a wonderful rod. I own one myself. When fishing in tight quarters a line heavy is likely the best way to go. So... A 4wt line on this 3wt rod IS what you want. The reason for going a line wt heavy is it will help you load the rod for short casts. You will want to keep your leader short as making this work requires having some fly line outside the tip top.

I'm pretty sure you will like the rod. As you can tell from all the positive feedback, most of us do. It should give you better feel, still allow for roll casting and work perfectly with your 4wt line. The question only you can answer is if a 7'6" rod is short enough. They don't make a shorter CT.

NOTE: The CGR fiberglass rod mentioned above is nice. That 4wt CGR really likes a 3wt line versus a 4wt though, even when casting short distances. You won't be able to roll cast with a CGR.

Last edited: