Help dating a Pflueger Progress Skeleton - 1183 - 60 yards

Reaction score
I'd like to get an approximate manufactured "time period" defined for a Pflueger Progress reel that I've come across. It's model 1183 (60 - which defers to 60 yards), all gunmetal, and has a Bakelite handle.
I've seen numerous information in my searches on these reels, but no "specific" time period. Additionally, I'm not looking for anything like "Pre-WW2," etc. Specific's/date ranges if possible.
Thx in advance ~

trev

Reaction score
The real reel experts will ask about the bulldog logo (3 or 4 posiblities) and sculpted pillars. They will also demand pictures. I would suggest asking at orcaonline, a gathering place for reel collectors.

flytie09

Reaction score
I agree. I'm not sure there are experts on here with these reels.

You have three good avenues:

1) Pick up a copy of the most comprehensive book on skeleton reels......

2) Check with experts at ORCA. Look for Stu Lawson or Bob Miller.

3) Scouring Ebay for a similar model that might have a box and paperwork. I looked but early models rarely come with boxes and paperwork.

Pictures would help. From what I understand.....if it has a bulldog on the top of the foot and raised pillars.....it's post 1915. If raised pillars and no bulldog.....before that. Pflueger began making reels in 1902. The Progress changed from a raised pillar reel to the round models in the mid-30's.

The handles were made in wood, celluloid, bakelite, or hard rubber. Bakelite wasn't patented until 12/9/1909. A good history of early plastics here - http://www.amff.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2012-Vol38-No2web.pdf

The Progress was made up to the 1960s.

Does this help?

Last edited:
Reaction score
All - thanks for the wonderful information. Yes; it's a raised pillar and it does have the Bulldog on the foot. (Great Reading on the AMFF).
I'll plod through further with ORCA.
Best ~

trev

Reaction score
The bulldogs come with small head (less than chest width) or large head (wider than chest) and slightly different stance too, I don't know which was first or what the dates were when the change was made. But you have it now as between 1915 and 1942, I think, because the dog and the sculpted pillars.

Reaction score
The bulldogs come with small head (less than chest width) or large head (wider than chest) and slightly different stance too, I don't know which was first or what the dates were when the change was made. But you have it now as between 1915 and 1942, I think, because the dog and the sculpted pillars.
It's "less than"... Thx for the additional info!