Help me get started - rod selection?

jeffnc

Reaction score
If I could only have one rod, it would be the T&T Contact II 10' 9" 3 wt. I think it's a little more usable in more situations. But I, being a fly fisher, don't just have one rod. I've really been enjoying the 10' 2 wt a lot. I bought this rod second and use it probably 2/3 of the time now. But I bought them in that order, about 2 years apart, and I'd do the same thing again. (Actually I started with the gen 1 T&T 3 wt.) The 2 wt does cast a dry/dropper better so if I think I'll be doing that I'll use the 2 wt regardless of the size of the river and fish.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
I've really been enjoying the 10' 2 wt a lot
I'm curious if you've found going a bit shorter in length with the 2wt still allows for the same degree of sensitivity, compared to say a 3wt closer to the 11' length. Hoping to add a 2wt ESN rod to the quiver at some point.

ts47

Reaction score
I decided it's time to give euro nymphing a try. After a couple of evenings reading what I could find, I picked up a last-gen Cortland Competition 10'6" 3wt. Dated, maybe, but it seemed like an inexpensive entry point and I figured plenty of people have had success with it. Unfortunately (?) a current gen Cortland Nymph showed up, and I think I'll send it back and re-assess.

I'm leaning towards a 2wt. While some of the rivers I'm targeting are fairly big, the fish usually aren't. Typically 8-12", though I've caught up to 18". A lighter and more sensitive rod is appealing.

What do all you experienced people think?
The current generation Cortland Nymph (as long as it's the model with the down-locking reel seat) is a better rod than the old Cortland Competition. Be happy you received it instead.

Tenkara Fisher

Reaction score
While the Maxcatch rod was the heaviest, least sensitive, and aesthetically worst rod in our tests, its high scores in the "value" and "can't resist it" categories pushed it to #1 in our ranking! >> BUY NOW <<
PLEASE read and save yourself $100+ and maybe a wasted fishing trip. I purchased the Maxcatch Tenkara 13' pole in January of 2019. The 5th segment completely splintered apart when I caught a small 13" rainbow trout in May of 2021. The pole only lasted 2 years of being used about once a week during the summer months! I would not trust any of their poles.

I purchased the pole in the following package: MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Rod Combo Complete Kit 12/13ft (Telescoping Carbon Tenkara Rod, Carry Case, Line, Tippet, Flies, Line Nipper, Hook Keepers). I used the rod about once a week during the summer of 2019, 2020, and 3 times in 2021 before it failed. I wiped it off with a clean paper towel after each use, never left in the car or sun, and only used in fresh water.

When I took it out this spring I was noticing "dust" when I wiped it off. On closer inspection I found it was not dust it was the outer coating of the rod that was deteriorating (sub-par material). Then in April the first two segments from the handle got very stuck so I could not remove them or bring the pole completely down any more. Then in May when I caught a very small rainbow trout the 5th segment folded over and split into apart in about 8 areas. A complete failure of the component and rod. First picture is of how the 5th segment splintered. The other pictures are of the deteriorating outer coating. I cannot believe how terribly this pole was made. I have 2 other Tenkara rods from other manufactures that are twice as old and still in pristine shape.

I wanted to send my complaint to MaxCatch company and post how they responded to my report of this pole failure. But, after trying to post through their website Customer Service – Contact Us – Contact Form center 5 times and getting failures I am not sure if they accept contact. I also tried to go to their review page on their website to post my review and found that they do not allow a person to enter a review. They just post some. Not sure what site they get them from. Very questionable all around. I am out $100. Please do not make the same mistake I did.

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
PLEASE read and save yourself $100+ and maybe a wasted fishing trip. I purchased the Maxcatch Tenkara 13' pole in January of 2019. The 5th segment completely splintered apart when I caught a small 13" rainbow trout in May of 2021. The pole only lasted 2 years of being used about once a week during the summer months! I would not trust any of their poles.

I purchased the pole in the following package: MAXIMUMCATCH Maxcatch Tenkara Rod Combo Complete Kit 12/13ft (Telescoping Carbon Tenkara Rod, Carry Case, Line, Tippet, Flies, Line Nipper, Hook Keepers). I used the rod about once a week during the summer of 2019, 2020, and 3 times in 2021 before it failed. I wiped it off with a clean paper towel after each use, never left in the car or sun, and only used in fresh water.

When I took it out this spring I was noticing "dust" when I wiped it off. On closer inspection I found it was not dust it was the outer coating of the rod that was deteriorating (sub-par material). Then in April the first two segments from the handle got very stuck so I could not remove them or bring the pole completely down any more. Then in May when I caught a very small rainbow trout the 5th segment folded over and split into apart in about 8 areas. A complete failure of the component and rod. First picture is of how the 5th segment splintered. The other pictures are of the deteriorating outer coating. I cannot believe how terribly this pole was made. I have 2 other Tenkara rods from other manufactures that are twice as old and still in pristine shape.

I wanted to send my complaint to MaxCatch company and post how they responded to my report of this pole failure. But, after trying to post through their website Customer Service – Contact Us – Contact Form center 5 times and getting failures I am not sure if they accept contact. I also tried to go to their review page on their website to post my review and found that they do not allow a person to enter a review. They just post some. Not sure what site they get them from. Very questionable all around. I am out $100. Please do not make the same mistake I did.
You get what you pay for. Crap in is crap out.

johan851

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had a terrible experience. Unfortunately I'm not surprised, Maxcatch is virtually the bottom of the barrel.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Good quality product and customer service are what gets customer's coming back and it doesn't need to be expensive either.
I purchased a new Scott GS 9'4wt and when I opened the package the bottom ferrule had fallen into the shaft, it was dealt with immediately with a replacement rod through Telluride Angler's, that is how you do customer service.
Buy cheap rubbish get rubbish service too, it's all about the price point. Use it as a learning experience and make a tomato stake out of it.

johan851

Reaction score
Got out on the water with the Contact II 1094 and have had some success. I've been utilizing my tungsten bead stash a lot more after the first outing, seeing that getting that point fly down is pretty critical. Using a 3mm or 3.5mm tungsten bead for the faster moving water at this time of year.

The first outing I caught a whitefish. I like the way they fight. Didn't catch much else and had trouble dialing in the right top fly. Seeing that the vast majority of my success on this river is with a hare's ear, I tied up a smaller and more subtle hare's ear without a beadhead and a bit of mylar on the back. That top fly yielded more success on the next outing.
PXL_20210608_024602248.jpgPXL_20210608_025030084.jpg

Not too big, but fun to catch some coastal cutties and have a little success at a time of year I usually get skunked. Also good to remember that it's not just about the fish.

PXL_20210608_035652562.jpg

As for the rod, it worked pretty well. Sensitive and impressively light. The 4wt is indeed overkill, so I might look for opportunities to swap it for the 3wt version. Casting the mono rig is a little challenging - it's hard to get visual feedback and the feel is quite different. Sometimes had to stop, analyze the cast, and be more intentional with my technique. But was able to hold a loop and cast a double nymph rig 30ft or so, which got the job done.

Last edited:

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Got out on the water with the Contact II 1094 and have had some success. I've been utilizing my tungsten bead stash a lot more after the first outing, seeing that getting that point fly down is pretty critical. Using a 3mm or 3.5mm tungsten bead for the faster moving water at this time of year.
One principal I try to focus on is to use as light of a bead I can get away with. I like to tap bottom 1-2 times per drift. Any more than that, I usually go a size lighter.

Casting the mono rig is a little challenging - it's hard to get visual feedback and the feel is quite different. Sometimes had to stop, analyze the cast, and be more intentional with my technique. But was able to hold a loop and cast a double nymph rig 30ft or so, which got the job done.
Learning to master the tuck cast is pretty valuable.

LandoLando

Reaction score
One principal I try to focus on is to use as light of a bead I can get away with. I like to tap bottom 1-2 times per drift. Any more than that, I usually go a size lighter.

Learning to master the tuck cast is pretty valuable.
I don’t know if you fish rivers during winter or early spring at all, but I’ve found that dredging flies on the bottom of deep slow runs can be the only way to catch fish when the water temps are near freezing. Ive also had luck fishing so deep when temps are more moderate but the fish aren’t eating (clear skies, high sun, no hatch etc.).

I’ll admit I hate fishing that deep because you are prone to lose flies in the bottom, but it certainly can be the difference between getting skunked and catching a few nice fish.

Reaction score
I have 3 different 10' long 2wt Euro Rods. The Moonshine Epiphany, The Syndicate P2 and the T&T Contact II. The fish in my avatar was caught a year ago on the Moonshine, 18" Brown pretty chunky, the Moonshine handled it no problem. After that I drank the coolaide, bought the Syndicate P2 and honestly the Moonshine had better sensitivity feeling the rocky bottom of a creek. About a month after that I went for the T&T contact II, it has the best sensitivity as I expected and it has a better located stripping guide along with being the lightest. Since then Moonshine has introduced the new Epiphany which retails for $275 and is supposed to be lighter than the previous models although I had no problem with the weight of the original Moonshine Epiphany 2wt. If I were wanting to get into Euronymphing that would be the rod I would use to get started with a 2wt Lamson Liquid.

Last edited:

mike126

Reaction score
I’d call Devin Olsen at Tactical Fly Fishing. His recommendation for me was A 10’ 3wt. I build my own rods so I am currently finishing this rod. It’s using a CTS Affinity X blank.

My 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk