Help Me Pick a 10 Wt Reel

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a new reel for my 10 wt (a T&T Exocett) and would appreciate some suggestions. Some background....

Intended Uses: Unsure/varied. I was supposed to be at Christmas Island right now and if/when the world ever gets back to normal that will likely be my next 10 wt outing, and there I'd use a 10 when not specifically targeting bonefish or GTs--so smaller trevally (because a GT won't eat your fly if it knows you're holding only a 10 wt :)), trigger fish, milkfish, etc. But I'd like it to work (in terms of capacity) for anything one typically targets with a 10.

My Ideal Reel: Large arbor for rapid line pick up; spool not overly wide (line management/stacking); easy to grab drag knob; decent range of drag adjustment--i.e., ideally more than one turn to go from no to full drag, but not more than a couple; nice sound in both directions; weighing something like 8.5-9 oz empty; ideally 250 yards of 60 lb braid. Brand isn't important; I care about quality, not the name.

Budget: Undecided. When it comes to a saltwater reel I don't want to cheap out, but at the same time this isn't a reel that will get used often. I'd like to stay under $550 (the price of my most expensive current top contender), but could push that some for the "perfect" reel. But I'm not spending $1,000 or even $800.

Reels I've Ruled Out

Ross Evo R Salt: Just don't like the drag "knob".

Orvis Mirage/Hydros: I won't buy Orvis gear.

Hatch 9+: I have a 7+ and like it a lot, but I just think the 9+ (officially 10.3 oz and probably heavier given that Hatch typically understates the actual weight) is too heavy. Though depending on people's thoughts I might reconsider on this one.

Abel Super/SDS: Just more than I want to spend, even with the current 20% off sales.

Lamson Cobalt: Don't know anything about it other than that it's heavier than the Hatch. So not interested.

Bauer RX: I love my trout Bauers, but just not what I'm looking for here.

Tibor Riptide: Haven't totally ruled this one out. Spool looks awfully wide.

Reels That I've Looked At and Are Still Under Consideration

Nautilus CCF-X2: There is a lot to like about this reel--great pickup, narrow spool, great sounds, easy to grab drag knob. My only complaint is that the drag seems "too adjustable", requiring so many turns. And sometimes a full turn seems to result in very little difference. I may get past this as there's so much else to like about the reel, but it's the one thing making me pause.

Colton Terrapin 1012: I imagine many here have never heard of Colton, but they're made in the US by a small shop. I have the Terrapin 789 and though it hasn't been heavily tested (largest fish about 20 pounds) it's performed great. The handle and the drag knob are easy to grab, the spool while not as narrow as the CCF-X2 certainly isn't wide, the drag adjustment (number of turns to go from no to full drag) seems pretty good and it just feels so solid in the hand (I think it would do quite well in a drop test). And it costs under $350. And as a bonus the pewter color looks great with the Exocett seat and blank.

Danielsson L5W: I'm a huge Danielsson fan (maybe the best reels out there on the quality-to-price scale), but the spool is wider than I'd prefer and the drag knob is bit smaller than I'd like. I think this would be a solid choice, but I think I'd prefer to spend a bit more and get the Colton.

Reels That I'd Love to Hear First-Hand Experiences About

Nautilus NV-G: Would prefer not to spend this much and I know some think that the CCF-X2 is the better Nautilus offering despite having the lower price, but haven't ruled the NV-G out.

Galvan Grip G-10: Don't know much about this other than sort of like the Torque with a sealed drag. Based on what I read about the G-8, I do wonder about retrieval rate and the spool is pretty wide. But have several Galvans (Torque, Rush LT, Brookie) and love them all. Wish I could see one in person, but no Galvan dealers near me.

Allen Omega 4: This reel really intrigues me. Everything I've read has been positive.

Taylor Revolution Z: Didn't find too much on it. Wondering about the capacity (11+250 of 20).

Anyways, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the above reels and any other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
CCF if an awesome reel- and an excellent value. Given your budget, and the desire to use it in distant places? Riptide. All day long. It will never fail you- and that's what you really want. I've had reels fail in that situation- and the SUCK cannot be overstated. You can count the parts in a riptide on both hands- and they're all stout as hell. The spool dimension is not worth worrying about- it was designed right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Given your budget, and the desire to use it in distant places? Riptide. All day long. It will never fail you- and that's what you really want. I've had reels fail in that situation- and the SUCK cannot be overstated. You can count the parts in a riptide on both hands- and they're all stout as hell. The spool dimension is not worth worrying about- it was designed right.
Thank you. Much appreciated. My planned kit for my cancelled trip included all draw bars, mainly old Abel Supers, for the exact reason you cited. Very happy with my 8 and 12 wt reels, but after spooling everything up discovered that my 10 is more of a 9 in terms of capacity--doesn't comfortably fit what was recommended, though probably has more than I'd need. Just hard to think something two football fields away is coming to hand. Anyways, thanks again!

falcon53

Reaction score
I have a Allen Omega III. It is a very well made USA reel. The drag adjustment granularity is somewhat like a Nautilus. It takes two complete drag turns to adjust to a stiff fishing drag. Four turns will completely lock the drag. The drag adjustment knob is rather large and Allen gives you a lever wheel (easy to put on or take off) to put over the drag adjustment knob to make fast adjustments.

Allen makes a mid priced reel called the Atlas. The Atlas is made overseas (very good value) and is a solid mid-priced choice. The drag adjustment range is about half the Omega. The Atlas costs about half the Omega. My only criticism of the Atlas is that the drag adjustment knob is rather small. Also the Atlas is on the light side weight wise. Both reels have lifetime warranties.

Last edited:

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Allen is currently offering a 40% discount on their Atlas reels, normally priced at $329 to $359 depending on size. I just received mine (a model III, 7-9 weight) today and it is awesome! I think it will be just the ticket for my bonefish, permit, New England saltwater, and Atlantic salmon. I think their model IV would be the size you're looking for and would check all your boxes. The drag knob is about an inch in diameter, but it is easy to grab and doesn't feel too small to me. It is such good reel for the money that I am thinking about getting another myself.

Last edited:

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I tend to stick to less expensive gear; I have a Redington Behemoth in 9-10 weight and I think it is great for the money. It will also supplement your strength training program, at least for your casting arm. Win-win.

bonefish41

Reaction score
1/ Used Abels 11/12SuperN used Tibors
2/ Nautilus Silver King 9.1 empty and 5"X1"
3/ Dan H5D9.6 empty essentially 4.5 has the heavier cage but all the others one size down are 4.25 diameter
If I was taking just two or three reels for 8/9, 10/11, 11/12 rods far away I like the previous would take draw bar Abel or Tibor but with back up reels I'd some others... I like the big Silver King...I casted it with 12 wt Loomis one piece ...but I was not flush enough when the desire hit me and a used one was sold, so it was the Dan H5D 14 . It functions on my 11wt Method...my latest Dan 3 Series 4.25 narrow spool 6.4 oz functions both as a Switch and 10 wt TCX Permit...my old super nine 4. 125 functions as light Permit on 9wt TCX.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No arguments on the draw-bar, field serviceable big reels...but you have Supers, good.

To your specific questions and agreed as to large arbor and relatively narrow spool width. I fish Allen's Omega on Sage Salt #9 (thus a 10-weight outfit) and it is a truly first rate reel in every way. Nautilus NV-G adorns my NRX #8 and it too has been flawless and a pleasure to fish. I've not used the CCFX 2 but it looks great to me. I do have a big Colton but have never fished it, solid but not overly refined and a bit too wide for my tastes. I'm good with Galvan in trout sizes not so much the salt. I do fish a 5|6 size Taylor Revolution Z on his Truth and love it but more relevantly had a loaner 10-weight size albie and bass fishing last autumn and it is my recommendation to you.

flav

Reaction score
Colton or Danielson, would be my choices, and i'd prefer the Colton if it was me. I've never fished one, and I've only seen one in use, but what a nice reel. Everyone who buys one seems to love them, and says they're tough as nails.

bonefish41

Reaction score
I forgot to add...I am willing to give up weight for my salt venues and fish for largest spool diameter and take-up. Because I'm old 78 and slower than 50 to 65 or so...then I could successfully use 3N 3.77 for Bonefish and Permit but not now cannot keep up when they are incoming...if I could I would still look for used Abels in the 3.9(super 8) to 4.125(super 9 and 11) or even the old 3N 3.77...

joe_strummer

Reaction score
A nice Abel Super 10 went for $280 on microskiff the other day. I watched the price drop on that thing for a while and was powerfully tempted to help the fella out. Glad somebody finally said yes to a sweet deal.

Now I gotta hope I can hold out on this Riptide. I'd sure like one to pair with my Everglades.

taylorreels

Trade Member
Reaction score
Our Revolution Z is 15% off right now... Thought I would throw that out there.

YouTube

here is a quick review from Trident as well.

flafly14

Reaction score
I'm a Danielsson fan also. I think the full cage frame is a big plus. I think it's lame that Danielsson is like the only reel that has that feature. I have the L5W812 and there's more than enough capacity IMO for a 10#. I think the H5D series has bigger drag knob. If I was buying again, I'd probably do the H5D for a 10# and up.

okaloosa

Reaction score
That Riptide is SWEET!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have caught some behemoths on my old Riptide...as you well know, they are bulletproof...those double dogs and cork drag are rock solid....

clsmith131

Reaction score
I fish the Omega IV on my 10#. It's a great reel with what I feel are ideal dimensions. It doesn't meet sound requirements you called for though. It has a nice click to me, but muted, and maybe even inaudible in the wind and waves. Other than that, it's very smooth and has a strong drag. It sounds like the CCFx2 is a good fit for you, but I can't say I've ever fished with one. Just handled them at the annual shows.