Help Me Pick a 10 Wt Reel

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I'm inviting some potential heat with this remark but I've grown to favor stacked, sealed drag reels over my old reliable draw-bars. No, I'm neither ignoring or selling my old cork drag reels but I'm finding the new designs smoother, more tunable and often with better aspect ratios. In a reversal of my past, Abel's are no longer my primary but the back up to Nautilus, Hatch, Ross, new Taylor Revolution Z, etc. ...among which I have experienced zero failures.

bonefish41

Reaction score
S&S There you go again...stacked is an exemplar for one thing but it ain't a drag. Reliability and simplicity of Tibor and Abel in far away places and with fly rod tippets ...6-20...now if you fish 30-80 then and 12 to 30 lbs static drag well perhaps draw bar old time Abel and Tibor probably not(but maybe the BG 14 or Super 14)but then what fly rod will you use with those drag setting a 1200 buck Asquith...perhaps a TFO Bluewater Broomstick with a blue water reel seat for wading GTs.
At 1-4 lbs static properly maintained and carefor old Tibors Abels are as smooth as a babies bottom if I was as flush as I once was I'd have all Abels these additionals: Super 8, Super 12, Super 11/12N and if I was 20 years younger the one pound Super 14

osseous

Reaction score
I caught a 44" Permit on 10 lb- Using a Tibor Everglades. That's as smooth as any reel ever needs to be in my book. And the IGFA record books back that up. Stacked drags are fine- but whether they're beneficial is highly debatable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

clsmith131

Reaction score
I like my Everglades, but it seems so small compared to the large arbor reels out there, and it weighs the same or more. It's just not as fun to fish as some of my other reels. I do agree there is definitely merit to the reliability of Abel and Tibor, and I would want to have one with me if I were to take a trip to the Christmas Islands. You never know what the elements will do to your gear.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I don't think nor do I plan on saying anything negative about Abel, Tibor, Islander, great reels no doubt. And I've got a bottle of Neatsfoot oil enough to last me and the rest of you draw-bar fans the rest of our lives. But the arbor size to overall diameter to spool width of many of these new era reels is just outstanding and the drag settings are more incremental, advantageous for bonefish settings using 12 - 16# tippets. I like the feel and take up rate of these modern reels, however, I am not planning on leaving Super 8 home when I go to the Bahamas if COVID-19 ever permits.

Oh, and I'm pairing Super 6 with my new Stickman T7.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
I think the reel recommendations thus far should keep in mind the OP's brief re cost.I'm more interested in his choice of a 10wt.as this is an odd weight for a few reasons.It's too much for Bonefish and not enough for GT's.....for the former a 7wt.is plenty and for the latter a 12wt.is the go-to...and while appreciating sweetandsalt's comment re arbor size/retrieval rate of the more "modern" salt water reels,a reliable strong drag is the #1 criteria here.
I've just bought a pre-loved Abel Super 12W as my GT reel as I know it will not fail me.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm more interested in his choice of a 10wt.as this is an odd weight for a few reasons.It's too much for Bonefish and not enough for GT's.....for the former a 7wt.is plenty and for the latter a 12wt.is the go-to
I'm thinking the reel will be used for places other than CXI (though can't say exactly where), but as to that destination.... One of the most challenging things for me about going to a new destination is what to take, and I'm one who tends to overpack rather than risk being without something I might need. In researching rod choices for CXI, the recommendations I found (internet reports) and received directly, while not wildly inconsistent, were far from uniform: 7/8/11; pair of 7s and an 11 (or pair); pair of 8s and an 11 (or pair); pair of 8s and a 12 (or pair); 7/8/9/10/11; pair of 8s/10/12. And there probably were other combinations that I'm forgetting. The guy who I booked the trip through had told me that on a recent trip two guys wanted to fish only for bonefish and they each took only a single 8 wt (no backup). In any event, I decided to take a 10 and an accompanying reel as they won't take up much space or add much weight to my bag. But I do expect it's the rod that would be fished the least (maybe something the guide would carry on occasion), and that I'd usually be fishing an 8 (bonefish) or 12 (GTs).

To all who have replied: Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I'm not in a hurry (don't see a trip in the immediate future, certainly not in 2020) and so am going to think about and perhaps be on the lookout for a used bargain. But keep the suggestions coming!

osseous

Reaction score
One of my fishing buddies went to Christmas many years ago- we had Bonefished all over the Bahamas together. He enjoyed the offshore fishing for small to medium sized tuna more than the Bonefishing there. The 10 wt was the perfect rod for that fishery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I've never been to Christmas Island. Of course I'd be very happy to experience it, however the images I've seen suggest an expansive uniform flat habitat with little structure in the way of keys or mangrove lagoons, varied channel structure features so abundant in the Bahamas. Also, if I understand correctly one does not fish from a skiff rather wading only. Besides limiting coverage this would also limit my kit. Out of the skiff, I can fish 4 or 5 different outfits during the day from #7 to 9-weight depending on depth variation, bottom type or wind. When wading I can only carry one 8-weight. I've heard though that the huge Mantis Shrimp are delicious.

denver1911

Reaction score
I've never been to Christmas Island. Of course I'd be very happy to experience it, however the images I've seen suggest an expansive uniform flat habitat with little structure in the way of keys or mangrove lagoons, varied channel structure features so abundant in the Bahamas. Also, if I understand correctly one does not fish from a skiff rather wading only. Besides limiting coverage this would also limit my kit. Out of the skiff, I can fish 4 or 5 different outfits during the day from #7 to 9-weight depending on depth variation, bottom type or wind. When wading I can only carry one 8-weight. I've heard though that the huge Mantis Shrimp are delicious.
I’ve only been twice, so my input here is by no means authoritative, but here it is:

Correct that mangroves make up little of the structure on Kiritimati. However, there is coral rubble and limestone rock to create structure. There are also channels everywhere, including stuff 10 feet deep to 0.5 feet deep. The channels make tides important. It’s not really just wading along endless homogenous sand flats of consistent depth. The boats will drop you and guide off on a spot. He will carry a rod or two while you fish. The boat will come back when you are ready to move. You can switch kit when they do if you wish. I’ve not fished the Bahamas, but Belize, Florida, and Roatan Island Honduras. Give me Kiritimati all day every day. One day on Kiritimati for two days in these places would be my choice.

As for the 10wt .. I took one, but used it very little. I caught some monster triggers on my 8. Bonefished with the 8. When chasing GTs, it was always the 12. For a reel, I’d reccomend the Abel Super, but since that’s not what you want, I’m no help. I can help with what to use that 10wt for though ...

Louisiana Redfish! And, of course, Permit. Although an 8 will probably do for either. Or a 9 .. that’s what I’m shopping for .. and it’ll probably be an Abel Super reel.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
For a reel, I’d reccomend the Abel Super, but since that’s not what you want, I’m no help.
Thanks for the write-up on CXI. I love gently used Supers (as evidenced by my pics above), so the earlier versions, just not sure I see an ideal fit for a 10. While no doubt great reels, I don't think the 9 or the 9/10N would be any better, in terms of capacity, than my existing reel (seems to me that Abel's official capacities are often overstated). The 10 has a smaller arbor and a really wide spool--very different in design from most of the other Supers. The 11 would probably be my choice, but I looked at one a while back and it weighed at least an ounce more than the official weight and to create a larger arbor I'd be adding even more weight with backing I probably don't need. I definitely care about performance and durability more than the weight, but weight is a factor. Anyways, I love Abel Supers--does anything sound better?--and they're my choice for 8 and 12 wts, just not as enthused about the 10 wt options compared to what I already have.

denver1911

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up on CXI. I love gently used Supers (as evidenced by my pics above), so the earlier versions, just not sure I see an ideal fit for a 10. While no doubt great reels, I don't think the 9 or the 9/10N would be any better, in terms of capacity, than my existing reel (seems to me that Abel's official capacities are often overstated). The 10 has a smaller arbor and a really wide spool--very different in design from most of the other Supers. The 11 would probably be my choice, but I looked at one a while back and it weighed at least an ounce more than the official weight and to create a larger arbor I'd be adding even more weight with backing I probably don't need. I definitely care about performance and durability more than the weight, but weight is a factor. Anyways, I love Abel Supers--does anything sound better?--and they're my choice for 8 and 12 wts, just not as enthused about the 10 wt options compared to what I already have.
I understand. I still say Abel. Check out the new model 9/10. Lighter weight. Decent capacity (use Jerry Brown Hollow Ace). 20% discounts right now.