HELP! New SPEY ROD and not sure what line to use!!!

simms

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a 8139-4 VT2 (Spey Rod) SAGE. I have had an itch to get into SPEY RODS for a while, and with the spring steelhead run coming into full tilt, its time to swing some big and uglies!!! And for that, the SPEY ROD is the choice!!
For my nymph/bead fishing on the larger rivers, I have my NRX 10' cannon, however i want to get into SPEY fishing...

SO, now, the hARD PART comes...

What line is best for this sage vt2, and what style?

Again, I will be mostly fishing OUT and DOWN type presentations...So not sure if a spey is what I need, scandi line, or skagit?

I hope someone can shed some light on this for me!!! thank you guys!!!!!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'm still relatively new to the two-hander game myself, I have an older 14' 8-9 Loomis GL3.

My understanding is that for "big and ugly" and Throwing heavy sink tips, that a Skagit line is the way to go and makes playing that part of the game easier. I am currently using a 550gr Skagit with a floating head for most of what I've done.
If I may also recommend picking up a copy of 'Skagit master' for learning the basic cast associated with this type of line. Ed Ward has a way of teaching that worked well for me. While I wouldn't consider myself a great Skagit caster yet, I'm very comfortable at this point in my abilities.

I'm sure Mosca (Dennis) will be along shortly to help in any way he can.

Your gonna really have a lot of fun doing this!:)

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You will need someone with experience with the rod you have to answer this one, MP will probably know what line his shop matches to the VT2. The best advice I can give to a new two hand caster is............No matter what line or training you choose keep your casts on the short side until you are able to do everything you will need with your rig. Many of the rivers and creeks that host steelhead do not require a 90' cast. No matter whether you are completely new or have been casting a while the crashed casts and subsequent thrashing around will occur when you push the comfort zone.

These long rods are the most effective tool for presenting a wet fly / streamer that I have ever used and provided you concentrate on catching fish as opposed to becoming 'perfect' at casting right off the bat you will like this. Better casting comes with experience on the water so once you get your line get out there. A Spey cast is essentially a roll cast. Some may wish to disagree but the basic elements are there. The difference is that with such a long powerful rod you can roll loops out farther than can be believed.

I tend to over simplify the cast by comparing to a roll cast but I found that by using what I already knew I was able to adapt to the various casts with ease.

You''ll like it,

Ard

simms

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!!

The 550 or 575 grain shoot heads seem to be popular...

Not sure if I need a cheater or not...

The new rio heads look good, the moflows...

What is everyone running for a runing line?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
My Skagit line 550gr has the running line integrated into it, overall length is 120' and onto that I have 30# backing attached.

simms

Reaction score
What tips are you running?

Alsow hat reel? thank you!!!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I have a Ross CLR6, and the tips, I have 2- 15' Skagit floating tips (600/650), a 15' 8wt type3 sink tip (109gr) and a 15' 8wt type 8 sink tip (109gr).
Like I mentioned earlier, to this point I've used the floating tips for 95% of my fishing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a Scientific Anglers Short Head (52') line with a total length of 120' like Fysh's I use a 15' type 6 sink tip almost exclusively. My rod is a 13' 8 weight and there is no need for any additional weight (cheater) with this set up.

Prior to going crazy with lines we need to find someone using the same rod. I had a 9' 7 weight VT2 and fond it to be a little soft when compared to some of my other rods. I have no idea of how stout the Spey rods are but prior to lining the rod I would seek some hands on guidance.

For a reel I started with an Orvis Odyssey IV (I fish almost all salmon) and then began using a Hardy Cascapedia 8/9. Both reels gave a great balance to the 13' eight weight when in use. With a rod like you have worries over a reel being too heavy are not called for. If you are going to fish for salmon or large steelhead regularly get a big reel with good capacity and drag. By big steelhead I would be talking fish over 10 pounds as a baseline. There are so many reels to choose from I can only tell you what I use and have no suggestions otherwise.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Throwing big uglies or want to have the shortest learning curve?

Go with a Skagit style from 550 to 600 grains. I'd err closer 600 grains. Look at Rio Skagit Flight shooting heads or Airflo Skagit Compact shooting heads.

Shooting sparse traditional style flies?

Go with a Scandi style 450 to 525 grains. I'd err closer to 525 grains. Look at Rio AFS shooting heads or Airflo Scandi Compact shooting heads.

Casting sparse traditional style flies with a minimal amount or no running line?

Go with a short head traditional floating line around 520 to 600 grains. I like the Rio Windcutter 2 8/9/10 for this rod. Keep in mind that you will have a steeper learning curve with a traditional floating line compared to a Skagit or Scandi style.

Scientific Anglers has completely changed its Spey line selection for this year. I have not tried any of its lines, but I hear that they are a dream to cast.

MP