Help, newbie

radamo_pgh

Reaction score
Hello
I am new to the forum and I want to learn how to fly fish. In April I will be going on a guided Euro nymphing tour in Central PA.

For someone that wants to get into fly fishing (live in Pittsburgh) should I learn Euro Nymphing or traditional cast fly fishing. I have read that an all around angler should learn both but I’m on a budget that doesn’t allow two separate rod and reels.

My fly fishing goal is to get outside and enjoy nature and catch some fish. Any help or insight would be great.

thanks,
Rich

silver creek

Reaction score
We need to a bit more about the type of water you want to fish and the species.

For example:

Lakes and streams or just streams.
Are the stream wooded so there are overhanging tree branches over part of the streams
How large and deep are the streams/rivers
Trout or trout plus? panfish? bass?

jayr

Reaction score
Hello
I am new to the forum and I want to learn how to fly fish. In April I will be going on a guided Euro nymphing tour in Central PA.

For someone that wants to get into fly fishing (live in Pittsburgh) should I learn Euro Nymphing or traditional cast fly fishing. I have read that an all around angler should learn both but I’m on a budget that doesn’t allow two separate rod and reels.

My fly fishing goal is to get outside and enjoy nature and catch some fish. Any help or insight would be great.

thanks,
Rich
Check out your local Orvis store, they have free fly fishing classes. Also, other fly shops usually have them or something similar as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: spm

radamo_pgh

Reaction score
I plan on fishing in small to mid size streams that aren’t super deep. Not sure on if tree branches will be an issue and Trout plus.

silver creek

Reaction score
Since you plan on fishing different species, possibly panfish in addition to trout, I would buy a regular fly rod and not a dedicated Euro rod.

Reactions: spm

VaFisherman

Reaction score
A 8 1/2ft 4wt rod or a 9ft 5wt rod will do all you want for trout fishing in western Pa. I would lean to a 9ft 5wt since you may want to use it for other species like smallmouth and panfish latter and the 5wt will handle those flies need for that a little better.

North of Pittsburg, about an hour, is Neshannock Creek Fly Shop in the town of Volant. They can help you with this and I am sure they will have some instruction available since the creek is in their back yard. Call them and see what they could offer you and get their recommendation also.

I would leave the Euro Nymphing for another time.

spm

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Rich. As you will learn, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here willing to help.

To start out, do as jayr suggested; if you have an Orvis store nearby, go there and take lessons. If you don't have an Orvis store, most fly shops offer lessons. It's important.
As Silver Creek suggested, buy a regular rod rather than an exclusive euro nymphing rod. And whatever you do, don't break the bank on ultra high-end gear. Buy what you can afford and learn to use it.

Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.
steve

silver creek

Reaction score
I have not posted about Norm Albiston for several years and I think this is a good time to do so.

Norm Albiston taught or still teaches a course fly fishing at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. He was interviewed by Wylie Thomas in a series of podcasts on Fly Fish Radio. They are still available. I suggest all newbies listen to them. There is a short section fishing report at the beginning.

The episode titles and numbers are:

Episode 1 - Wylie Talks with Norm Albiston
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0yjx2wg...view=Episode+1_Wylie+talks+with+Norm+Albi.mp3

Episode 5 - Norm Albiston returns to talk about the 5 things
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0yjx2wg...eview=Episode+5_+Norm+Albiston+returns+to.mp3

Episode 13 - Norm Albiston teaches us how to think like a fish
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0yjx2wg...view=Episode+13_+Norm+Albiston+teaches+us.mp3

Episode 28 - Norm Albiston teaches us how to be a predator Part 1
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0yjx2wg...view=Episode+28_+Norm+Albiston+teaches+us.mp3

Episode 29 - Norm Albiston teaches us how to be a predator Part 2
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t0yjx2wg...view=Episode+29_+Part+II-Norm+Albiston+te.mp3

dennyk

Reaction score
Hi Rich and welcome to the forum! You'll have many more options with a traditional fly rod and fly line vs. specialized euro type fishing. Meaning, having some fun with dry fly trout as well as warm water bluegills SM and LM bass.

A 9' 5 weight and a reel with an extra spool the can be used for euro nymphing would get you started in the right direction. X3 casting lessons. Check out a Orvis Clearwater complete outfit and an extra spool for the reel. Good Luck!

Denny

lawdog05

Reaction score
Hi Rich. I would head to the Orvis store in Mt. Lebanon. I'm a newbie myself - just started last summer - and the guys at the Orvis store were incredibly helpful in pointing me in the right direction as far as gear, flies, where to fish, etc. Before actually fly fishing I was always intimidated by the mystique around fly fishing and the casting etc. The biggest thing I learned is that as long as you get your fly in the water - no matter how ugly it may look getting there and how imperfect your presentation - you will likely catch fish. Having a perfect cast is not really important on the waters you will fish around here. I'm also from Western PA (S. Hills), and you're more than welcome to fish with me anytime. Although I'm not very good, I've managed to catch some fish.

radamo_pgh

Reaction score
Hi Rich. I would head to the Orvis store in Mt. Lebanon. I'm a newbie myself - just started last summer - and the guys at the Orvis store were incredibly helpful in pointing me in the right direction as far as gear, flies, where to fish, etc. Before actually fly fishing I was always intimidated by the mystique around fly fishing and the casting etc. The biggest thing I learned is that as long as you get your fly in the water - no matter how ugly it may look getting there and how imperfect your presentation - you will likely catch fish. Having a perfect cast is not really important on the waters you will fish around here. I'm also from Western PA (S. Hills), and you're more than welcome to fish with me anytime. Although I'm not very good, I've managed to catch some fish.

joelp

Reaction score
get the gear as cheap as you can and spend the money on casting lessons or a guide for a day or two if you can get basic casting lessons for free from a local shop. most people spend money on gear like its going out of style but dont want to buy an hour with a certified casting instructor or a half day trip with a reputable guide.

this link will take you the FFI site with a map to casting instructors near you. i thought i could cast until i met that crew. CI's can cast AND teach.