Help picking a sinking line for stillwater?

guido

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 6 wt density compensated line for fishing leach, damsel nymphs and streamers. This would be the line for the deepest structures, and covering lots of waters between obvious hatches. So I'd really like it to cast well over long distances.

I'm looking at the SA Sonar Seamless Density 5/7, the SA Sonar Titan sink Int/3/5 or the RIO Fathom

Thoughts on these lines? Alternatives I'm missing?

Thanks!

guido

dillon

Reaction score
What you may be missing is a full sinking intermediate line. It is the most commonly used stillwater sinking line. However, it is meant to fish in water up to about 6ft. In depth. Between hatches and surface activity the fish my not be as deep as you think. It’s very effective for fishing the flies you mentioned.

guido

Reaction score
What you may be missing is a full sinking intermediate line. It is the most commonly used stillwater sinking line. However, it is meant to fish in water up to about 6ft. In depth. Between hatches and surface activity the fish my not be as deep as you think. It’s very effective for fishing the flies you mentioned.
I have and use an intermediate for my 4 wt. It gets used a lot spring and fall. But during the summer our lakes warm sufficiently that the holding water is at 20-30 feet so a heavy full sinker really is what I need.

LandoLando

Reaction score
I have the SA Sonar a titan int/3/5 in 6wt. It’s a great line, very easy to cast, no belly in the line as it sinks. I’ve used it to get deep in mountain lakes during the peak of summer and I’ve even used it on small streams during the spring run off to get streamers deep fast in the fast water.

justahack

Reaction score
Another vote for Titan I/3/5. I have it in a 6wt for the same applications as Lando. Easy casting.

pati

Reaction score
Look at the Airflo 40+ range esp. fast intermediate or the Airflo 6th sense range: brilliant sinkers and much cheaper than SA or Rio

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I also use that Titan line in several weights and I am happy with it. I haven't used any other sinking line so I have no point of comparison.

desmobob

Reaction score
I'm using some older Scientific Angler density-compensated full sinking lines, and they have been wonderful. If I needed a new one today, I'd by a Sonar Titan.

guido

Reaction score
I ended up with both a Titan 4 for throwing big streamers and fishing the lower reaches of the water column and a SD 5/7 for deep dredging. Quite happy with both.