Help with a Payne

fq13

Reaction score
Folks I am selling a few old bamboo rods, and I need advice.
I have a five ounce 8'6" Payne rod. It was strung for a seven weight line. ( this predates rods being marked for line weight just the ounce weight for the rod).

Anyway, this rod is a tragedy. It's is beautiful cherry, LNIB. Original sock, original tube, original varnish and laminate, and two tips. Hell, it even has the factory price sticker. But......and there is always a but...
A few of the of the snake guides, one on the butt, and of course one each of the tips have some corrosion that makes them rough. It is fishable. But still, you would want to replace those guides, so basically it is either a wall hanger (which would be criminal) or the the best blank you can buy. It is painful to have to rewrap an historic piece like this. It is a truly sweet rod. But I have zero clue what to ask for this. Any thoughts on what would be a fair price? I mean if it weren't for three snake guides it could have left the factory yesterday. But if toads had wings they wouldn't bump their arse on the ground either.:p

Last edited:

LePetomane

Reaction score
Replacing the guides shouldn't be a big deal for an experienced restorer. I'd contact Don Schroeder in Janesville, Wisconsin for starters. Don is one of the best restorers around. I wouldn't bother with the website listed above.

Last edited:

L.W. Samson

Reaction score
Why not? I love the CFRF and it's my favorite forum of all, I like it a lot more than this one just because this one's so huge and has WAAAY too many subforums.

LePetomane

Reaction score
Why not? I love the CFRF and it's my favorite forum of all, I like it a lot more than this one just because this one's so huge and has WAAAY too many subforums.
Why not? Because I have first hand experience with the excellent work that Mr. Schroeder does and I highly recommend him.

L.W. Samson

Reaction score
That's what I do. I use usually 5 subforums on this board and I do actually like this board. CFRF is my favorite also because bamboo rods are my passion. But with my (mild) ADHD too many subforums are overwhelming. Like the several classified boards. Most classifieds I can put up with is 2 or 3.(a wanted, a swap, and a for sale) with maybe a commercial classifieds on the side.

flytie09

Reaction score
Contact a dealer.....he can give you a realistic evaluation of the value and how much to repair it. I might say to get the opinion of a couple as a means of checks and balances.

LePetomane

Reaction score
? I wasn't knocking Schroeder, I just think CFRF is a great forum.
I'm sure it is. But instead of inquiring on another forum and go through all of the work in posting pictures, it would be easier to contact Don directly and save the trouble. Don restored a rod for a family member and I have two of his rods. One of the best quad makers around.

doraifurai

Reaction score
Replacing the guides shouldn't be a big deal for an experienced restorer. I'd contact Don Schroeder in Janesville, Wisconsin for starters. Don is one of the best restorers around. I wouldn't bother with the website listed above.
Schroeder makes some awesome rods.

jwbowen

Reaction score
One thing you can do is to go to the auction site and search "sold" Payne's. Look at the pics
and prices. Sometimes restoration may not be worth it. Especially in the current "sellers" market.
CFRF is a great site with some definite bamboo aficionados. I have seen the topic of repairing before
selling on that site before.

tcorfey

Reaction score
If your rod is indeed an original Payne rod in decent condition then it is worth quite a bit of money. Definitely get multiple estimates.