Here's The Good News!

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Today will be 5 minutes 22 seconds longer than yesterday sunup to sundown :)

Temps from here to Nenana are hitting mid 40's and sometimes low 50's daily.

Snow is melting and river ice is covered by overflow, this causes the river on a river effect. With some luck the run off will flow over top the ice for some time and a small percentage will drain before ice out. With the extreme snowpack getting rid of as much as possible prior to mid May really helps.

bushak

Reaction score
Today will be 5 minutes 22 seconds longer than yesterday sunup to sundown :)

Temps from here to Nenana are hitting mid 40's and sometimes low 50's daily.

Snow is melting and river ice is covered by overflow, this causes the river on a river effect. With some luck the run off will flow over top the ice for some time and a small percentage will drain before ice out. With the extreme snowpack getting rid of as much as possible prior to mid May really helps.
Some of the Kuskokwim tributaries are open (ish) such as the Kwethluk. I would imagine the Kuskokwim river breaking up in the next week or so.

fq13

Reaction score
Ard, it was 90 freaking degrees today. 75% humidity. Just too hot to fish, the fish agreed, I asked them, they said screw off its hot.:D
I will trade some ice melting heat for one 80 degree day. It's April not august. I feel like I am inside of a wet dog. The only upside is that the wind (from the south of course) is blowing 15 knots so I don't feel like a total wimp for not going out! It's too windy for an eight weight, that's my story and I will stick to it!:p

tcorfey

Reaction score
Opening day of trout season in CA, warm and sunny but shelter in palace restrictions still in place and the people that live where the trout are don't want visitors from the cities due to small hospital sizes. In the eastern Sierra's they petitioned the F&G to keep the fishing closed until June (The F&G agreed).

The good news is I can still hunt for striper from shore around the island (boat ramps closed though).

fq13

Reaction score
Opening day of trout season in CA, warm and sunny but shelter in palace restrictions still in place and the people that live where the trout are don't want visitors from the cities due to small hospital sizes. In the eastern Sierra's they petitioned the F&G to keep the fishing closed until June (The F&G agreed).

The good news is I can still hunt for striper from shore around the island (boat ramps closed though).
$300 from Wally World will buy you a sixty pound Lifetime Tamarak fishing sit on top Kayack. No need for boat ramps. I bought the eight foot daylight as it fits inside my truck, but the Tamarak is way better at or under three bills. No need for a boat ramp. It ain't a hoby, but stable enough for the salt (wear, don't just own a life jacket) and you can take a Nantucket sleigh ride with a striper! I have been pulled around by jacks and tarpo n and it is hoot. It entertains folks on the banks too, as they watch you do a one man Chinese fire drill.:p

tcorfey

Reaction score
FQ, you are right I could launch my kayak or canoe from the beach, but the beach is supposed to be closed too. (You would not know it due to the swarm of people there today). Would have to do it in the morning because the wind comes up around noon.