Hey CFO Experts! (spare spool fitment/compatibility question)

swfl daz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a spare spool for my UK made CFO III Disc and have run across two different spools - Both say CFO III Disc, but there are a few differences that I've found (in pictures). As you can see, the Roman numerals in the top pic are closer together than those on the spool in the bottom pic, and the handle screws are different, as is the bearing insert on the gear. My question: Are these compatible/interchangeable? I seem to remember seeing a CFO history posted somewhere that may have said that the spools were interchangeable (or that could just be in my head) but can't find it now. Are these differences just cosmetic, or are the two definitely different and incompatible? FWIW, mine looks exactly like the bottom one.

Thanks for any input.

CFO III D one.jpg

CFO III D two.jpgCFO III D one back.jpgCFO III D two back.jpg

Last edited:

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
seem to remember seeing a CFO history posted somewhere that may have said that the spools were interchangeable (or that could just be in my head) but can't find it now.
No idea if the spools are interchangeable, but if you Google "Rusty Spinner CFO" you'll find what I believe is the best CFO history available, perhaps the one you're recalling

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Like Ard wrote these are both BFR made CFO Discs but do appear to be different making me uncertain about compatibility.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I think they are just different vintages of the same product revealing some changes in materials. I figure the one with the delrin bushing was a cost cutting thing. I'd be willing to gamble on a fit.

And to OP (daz) next time around make it easier by posting the images paired up so it's easy to compare what we're looking at.

swfl daz

Reaction score
And to OP (daz) next time around make it easier by posting the images paired up so it's easy to compare what we're looking at.
You mean paired to compare front to front and back to back? Just did a quick edit.