Hi top, self-draining paddle shoe

VTWolverine

Reaction score
I'm looking for a summer kayaking/ wet wading shoe but haven't been able to find quite what I'm looking for. I'm currently using neoprene dive booties, which are hot and don't drain well. Here's what I'd like to find:

1. High top - looking for something that is calf height, not just a high top sneaker. I am sometimes jumping out of a boat into mud, and getting that over the top of the shoe is not great. This rules out the Astral Hiyak.

2. Self-draining - rules out most neoprene booties. NRS Backwater would be a good pick if they had drainage, but I have a felt pair that I use for flats fishing and they're not so comfortable out of the water once they get water in them. They're great when you're constantly submerged, not so much when you're mostly out of the water in a boat.

3. Low profile sole - I like the specs of the Simms Flats Sneaker but the sole is more like a wading boot than a flats bootie. I'd prefer a more low profile sole, more nimble and lighter weight.

Anything I'm missing?

RockNRiffle57

Reaction score
Perhaps the Chota Hybrid 800?

They have huge mesh ports all over and drain really quickly. The sole is rubber, not super low profile but not huge, and the boots are probably a little over 1lb each in size 11. Not bad. They feel really light.

VTWolverine

Reaction score
Perhaps the Chota Hybrid 800?

They have huge mesh ports all over and drain really quickly. The sole is rubber, not super low profile but not huge, and the boots are probably a little over 1lb each in size 11. Not bad. They feel really light.
Thanks for the reply, cuff height is too low for me but definitely on the right track. I may just go with the NRS, haven't found a lot else similar.

VTWolverine

Reaction score
I

have the simms sneaker, heavy duty and I initially thought heavy and cumbersome but it is wonderful for the oysters and coral. Good balance and does not bend and contour to crevice pinch points.
Good to know, they seem like a great wet wading boot but maybe not so much for a paddle bootie