Hiking w/ fly rod

Acheron

Reaction score
I like to carry multiple rods hiking and the fly rod(s) always stay in their tubes attached to the pack. Some packs have built-in rod tube holders and they work ok but I tend to put a tube on each side of the pack in the water bottle pockets. Then I use the upper compression straps on the backpack to keep the tube from bouncing around. Rods stay protected and out of the way.

stenacron

Reaction score
Never read his book. Just something I came up with.
Yeah I got that. I was just pointing out that Rich Osthoff pretty much does it this same way.

I am going to go out on a very thick limb here and say that there is probably no other hiking angler that has logged more miles or visited more high mountain lakes than Osthoff. He is a very no-frills guy and his book is absolutely amazing as it not only covers fly fishing in mountain lakes, but also how to prepare for backpacking in the Rocky Mountains from an anglers perspective (scouting lakes, areas he's been, resources, conditioning, equipment, food prep, avoiding danger, etc.).

I don't pimp a lot of books, but his is one that is a must-read IMO for anyone seriously considering a fly-fishing trip into remote wilderness.

AZFalconer

Reaction score
What Acheron said. I have a couple of packs with water bottle holders on the side and straps above. Almost like it was made for carrying rods in the tubes. Once fishing, either I wear the pack and the tubes are out of the way, or if I'm fishing a pool for a bit I might take it off. Totally agree with keeping the rods in the tubes to prevent breakage. crawling over/under deadfalls and around rocks have made me really glad my rods were protected...
Charlie

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Strapped to the outside of a pack IN A TUBE. If you decide to leave the tube at home, IMO you're just asking for trouble.

WadeK in to Deep

Reaction score
Formerly Fresno, CA, now Santa Rosa Beach, FL
1) I often just take short hikes with rod(s) in hand strung up. I haven't broken any doing this, but have had some close calls. Old Timer would probably call me a Klutzy Hare. I no longer hike with rod in hand, broken down and un-strung, which has resulted in loss of an upper middle section of a rod.
2) If I'm going far enough to need to bring lunch with me, I put my regular rod tube(s) in my day-pack with lunch, water,... Some tubes do stick up above my head and I have to be aware of those dangers.
3) Over-night or longer Backpacking, I like the fluorescent light tube with 1" of foam in both ends. My primary (8' 3wt 4pc. dry fly) rod fits, in the sock, in the tube snuggly. Sometimes I have to shimmy the rod pieces around to make them fit in. I put the end of the tube in a water bottle pocket and strap the top. As stated by others, the light tube isn't super sturdy, but so far it has served the purpose with a serious weight savings over the rod's normal tube. My heavier rods won't fit in the light tubes, but so far I haven't wanted to backpack with them.

desmobob

Reaction score
On a long hike-in, I stick my rod tube in one of my daypack's water bottle pockets and wrap the compression strap(s) around it. Easy as pie, safe as can be. I figured everyone did that... If the daypack doesn't have the water bottle pocket, it goes in the main compartment and sticks out the top on one side.

If you need to attach a tube to your pack, something I've done is to attach a small loop of paracord at the appropriate place or places with several wraps of duct tape. Not glamorous, but effective.

Back in the "old days" I used the aluminum tube of my two-piece rod as a hiking stick, or just carried it. It's a lot lighter than a bow, shotgun or rifle!

I don't think I'd ever hike any distance with a rod that wasn't in its tube, or at least some kind of protective tube.

Acheron

Reaction score
Has so many uses. I always have cheap caribeaners on my bag too. Between the parachute cord and the caribeaners strapping things to the outside is easy when necessay. It's extremely cheap too. In case of survival you can unwind the individual threads for stuff too :)

SerialNumber

Reaction score
Nice to find this thread. I've done lots of searching over the past year regarding this very issue, for a particular hike I like to do. My Hardy metal tube weighs 16 ounces, and sticks out the top of my huge pack, occasionally catching branches and such. There's no way I'd hike with my rod on the back of my pack just in its sock, not at the location I'm talking about. Elsewhere I do just that. I tried to come up with ways to shave weight and still keep the rod protected in case of falls and snags, but couldn't come up with anything that would save more than a couple ounces. For now, I'm resigned to the original Hardy tube when I do that hike.

myt1

Reaction score
I've seen people who use a cardboard mailing tubes instead of a rod tube when backpacking to save weight. This seemed like a good idea.

Obviously there is the issue of the cardboard getting wet in the rain; but maybe if you wrapped the tube in clear mailing tape that would help.

It really just has to last as long a your trip, probably only a few days.

Last edited:

trev

Reaction score
Cardboard mailing tubes seem heavier to me than drain pipe, now I'll have to weigh a couple. The two piece length of pvc or aluminum can easily be slung like riffle using a boot lace or para cord, carried diagonally on the back they don't seem much of a hassle.

Acheron

Reaction score
It feels like we are 3 pages deep trying to find a problem where there isn't one.

I haven't seen or read anything better than the rod tube which your rod likely came in (or you can purchase online inexpensively). A lot of them have a shoulder strap or a carry handle, my Accel case even has a D-ring.

Unless you are trimming ounces for multi-day trips...Am I missing something?

jwbowen

Reaction score
It feels like we are 3 pages deep trying to find a problem where there isn't one.

I haven't seen or read anything better than the rod tube which your rod likely came in (or you can purchase online inexpensively). A lot of them have a shoulder strap or a carry handle, my Accel case even has a D-ring.

Unless you are trimming ounces for multi-day trips...Am I missing something?
Personally, I carry 2 rods for backcountry multi day trips. My quest was for a lighter viable option. I agree that if I was only carrying 1 rod with the tube it came in it is probably fine. Weight savings from carrying the extra tube ,while not a great burden, does add to the burden. Easily can cut several pounds with 9oz’ here and there.

pmh_usa

Reaction score
I just started using these tubes from Dick Blick art materials. They come in 26 and 37 inch lengths and various colors, have adjustable removable nylon carry straps, removable end caps, and are around $12-$13 each. They can easily be cut to shorter lengths and are the perfect balance between weight and strength. They are wide enough that you could put two, possibly three rods in them.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I never take a tube when backpacking, I have never broken a rod while backpacing, I used to do that a lot too, be aware and be careful, end of story for me on that. All my rods have been broken due to bad ferrules (tip over), my friends stepping on them (drift boat), and once from me retrieving a rod I was about to lose from my Watermaster.
When hiking but not camping I usually carry a few rods in their sleeves in a slingpack, never broke one that way either which is the majority of my fishing nowadays, I consider tubes overkill for the above.
I don't own any two piece rods though mainly because they are a pain to move around, maybe one day.
Now the next time out I will probably clumsily fall down and break my rods:sneaky:. So I guess if your a bit of a clutz, tube em.