Homemade Alignment dots

Upstate08

Reaction score
Perhaps a silly little question but is there a best material for adding your own alignment dots? Can I just raid my wife's nail polish collection and find a color to suit or is there a specific shellac I should look for?

trev

Reaction score
I have seen nail polish work, and the dot really needs to be no bigger than the tip of a toothpick, so color isn't that great a concern to me.

motts

Reaction score
I use sharpie oil based paint pens when I'm putting dots on a rod I'm building and epoxy over them. I don't see why it wouldn't work after the fact without the epoxy over it either (you might need to occassionally touch it up though).

JoJer

Reaction score
After the rod is strung, I pull the line to make it curve a little: It shows misalignment and whether I've missed a guide.

herkileez

Reaction score
I use a white gel pen, then a dab of clear Sally Hanson overtop when dry. I make sure I place the male end dots far enough back so the female end doesn't ride up on it, creating a point load, which can split the ferrule.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Some rod come with, some not. Sometimes the ones that do are off a hair. I don't use them, I prefer to sight down section by section starting with the tip to align the guides not dots. I was impressed when I got my new Stickman P5 that it came with no dots and no hook keeper, two useless features.

JoJer

Reaction score
I use sharpie oil based paint pens when I'm putting dots on a rod I'm building and epoxy over them. I don't see why it wouldn't work after the fact without the epoxy over it either (you might need to occassionally touch it up though).
I've been amazed at how long the felt-tip paint pens remain usable just sitting in a drawer. I have a flat black that's been around so long I can't remember when or what I bought it for.

leadfootedfool

Reaction score
Ive used sharpies, but the paint pens seem to last the longest. They might not be perfect, but they make me feel better.

Tirade

Reaction score
I plan to use some silver nail polish applied with a toothpick. I'll see how long it lasts but Im guessing a while

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Don't do it. Just learn to align the sections either by turning the rod over spine up or using the guide feet. Dots are a waste of time and effort.