Homemade Alignment dots

ramjet

Reaction score
I'd been meaning to respond here, but it slipped my mind until I was taking a rod apart yesterday.

I have added dots to some of my rods. The best thing I've found for the purpose was some chartreuse model paint. It has since dried up but would buy some more of that same kind if I knew what kind it was. It came in a metal can that you pried open with a screwdriver just like a house paint can. It was intense enough that one dot made from a cut-off Q-Tip shaft showed up really well.

I generally assemble my rod by looking at the guides and lining them up. I painted the dots on the top of the rod so I could see them as I fish. They came in handy more than once. Absent any rising fish, I used to finish the evening doing (well attempting, since I was still learning) single-hand spey casts with streamers. It was a nice way to cover some water and also a chance to practice the casts. As I got better, I would sometimes chuck streamers or soft hackles this way for several hours and all the torque could loosen up the rod at the junctions. Since a significant portion of my rod quiver is composed of travel rods with 5-9 sections, there's a lot of places things can work lose. You can generally feel it, but there have been several times that a quick check of my dots lets me know if I need to re-tighten things.

YMMV, of course.

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ramjet, you are on a roll man :)

I like dots myself but have never done my own. My fishing pal has them painted on his Sage X 2 hand rod butt for measuring fish, I think the rod looks awful and would not do that ever.

photoguy

Reaction score
I have rods with dots and rods without. When I'm fishing the dotted rod, I use them to line everything up. When I fish rods without them, the sections seem to go together correctly pretty easily. ;)