Honryu Tenkara

jrob

Reaction score
I have been fishing Tenkara for many years going back to at least 2014. Since then I have owned, fished , or drooled over most main stream rods from Japan. I have an special affinity for Shimano Tenkara rods using design input from Dr. Ishigaki. I recently ordered the new Shimano BG Tenkara rod which is due out December 2020. I could not find any Honryu Tenkara technique threads in the search function here and thought I would spark interest. Here are some good links for anyone interested in larger water, bigger fish Tenkara techniques.

jrob

Reaction score

....just a few good reads from others discussing the technique. I personally love using big water techniques with Tenkara. I always feel more like I am fish “hunting” when using Tenkara no matter where I am. The simplicity of the system helps me focus on so many levels to God’s creation around me.

jrob

Reaction score
Almost forgot. Here are some links for the new Shimano BG Tenkara rod.

jrob

Reaction score
I'm also looking at the BG Tenkara 48NV but would like to chase North Shore steelhead with it. Not sure yet.
I would say it depends on the size of water (amount of room for fish to run) and average size of fish. I have landed some pretty large fish on Tenkara in smaller pocket water because I was able to keep turning them back and forth keeping runs in the deeper pocket I hooked them in. Shimano does not list a tippet rating for the rod on their site yet? According to Chris Stewart (Tenkarabum) he spoke with Dr. Ishigaki who suggested LESS than 2x tippet rating for the BG rod. That should put a MAX rating at 3x. That’s still a powerful tippet rating for a Tenkara rod. That means I will likely stick with mostly using 5x and 4x to protect the rod. Knowing me I would be down to chase steelhead just for the adventure of it. Hahaha.

dpnoll48

Reaction score
I would say it depends on the size of water (amount of room for fish to run) and average size of fish. I have landed some pretty large fish on Tenkara in smaller pocket water because I was able to keep turning them back and forth keeping runs in the deeper pocket I hooked them in. Shimano does not list a tippet rating for the rod on their site yet? According to Chris Stewart (Tenkarabum) he spoke with Dr. Ishigaki who suggested LESS than 2x tippet rating for the BG rod. That should put a MAX rating at 3x. That’s still a powerful tippet rating for a Tenkara rod. That means I will likely stick with mostly using 5x and 4x to protect the rod. Knowing me I would be down to chase steelhead just for the adventure of it. Hahaha.
I was thinking 4x also and if they snap it off, too bad. It would be a rush. :D

rsagebrush

Reaction score
I've been using the Daiwa Enshou Tenkara rods for quite a few years now; specifically the LT 36, 39 and 44 s-f which are all big fish rods. I have hooked and landed rainbows up to a measured 22 inches with these rods.
the LT 44 is a great bass bug rod too.
I have hooked and landed some very large carp on my 15 foot Kyogi too.
This is not a system limited to small fish in any way.
You do have to become proficient in handlining though.

jrob

Reaction score
I borrowed a friends 17 foot Kyogi once and landed carp up to 16 lbs in a creek using 8lbs tippet. It was a rush! Truly was a tug of war fight. Haha. Amazing what a good rod and technique can do together in the right hands.

patrick62

Reaction score
I've been using the Daiwa Enshou Tenkara rods for quite a few years now; specifically the LT 36, 39 and 44 s-f which are all big fish rods. I have hooked and landed rainbows up to a measured 22 inches with these rods.
the LT 44 is a great bass bug rod too.
I have hooked and landed some very large carp on my 15 foot Kyogi too.
This is not a system limited to small fish in any way.
You do have to become proficient in handlining though.

Agree completely, as do the largemouth I encounter every August.