Hopefully going to look at a used fish cat 9 this week- questions, #1 will it fit in my CRV?

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey all, I happened upon a post on another forum for a fish cat 9. I am going out that way to fish anyway this week, so I may take a look at it. I drive a Honda CRV, no trailer. Can I deflate the tubes and fit the frame inside my car, if I lower the seats? I can't find the dimensions anywhere? Thanks. -J

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't looked up the specific model but all of the fishcat pontoons I've had were multi piece frames that come apart with lynch pins. If that's the case yes it will break down and fit in a car. You're gonna want a really good pump if you plan to inflate on site though.

tcorfey

Reaction score
I have two of the older fish cat 9s and like Ard said the pontoons come off and fold up. The frame is easy to take apart into three or more pieces. A center section and two sides. You can also break down the center section further if needed. Put together the frame is about 5' wide and maybe 4' long until you extend the leg braces. I would measure it for you but it would take some work to get to it because of some house construction I am doing. Fully broken down I think the largest piece is about 3' long although it came in a box about 3' x 4' x 1'.

I think taken apart it would fit in the CRV. The frame only weighs about 35 lbs fully assembled so you could leave the frame assembled and tied to the roof if you have a roof rack(that's the way I took it in my 96 Pathfinder) or I have also left the frame fully assembled and carried it on a bike rack on the back of the car (the round bars of the frame are like a bicycle frame).

As Ard said carry a good pump. I carry a high volume electric pump to inflate the pontoons to minimum pressure then top off with a hand pump until the pontoon only gives about 1/4" deflection. Make sure you get the adapter that attaches to the air pump hose.

Last edited:

caddis75

Reaction score
I haven't looked up the specific model but all of the fishcat pontoons I've had were multi piece frames that come apart with lynch pins. If that's the case yes it will break down and fit in a car. You're gonna want a really good pump if you plan to inflate on site though.
Thanks. This is just in case I buy it. I also have a roof rack. I have two pretty good car air pumps, will see if they work. Thanks all.

caddis75

Reaction score
I have two of the older fish cat 9s and like Ard said the pontoons come off and fold up. The frame is easy to take apart into three or more pieces. A center section and two sides. You can also break down the center section further if needed. Put together the frame is about 5' wide and maybe 4' long until you extend the leg braces. I would measure it for you but it would take some work to get to it because of some house construction I am doing. Fully broken down I think the largest piece is about 3' long although it came in a box about 3' x 4' x 1'.

I think taken apart it would fit in the CRV. The frame only weighs about 35 lbs fully assembled so you could leave the frame assembled and tied to the roof if you have a roof rack(that's the way I took it in my 96 Pathfinder) or I have also left the frame fully assembled and carried it on a bike rack on the back of the car (the round bars of the frame are like a bicycle frame).

As Ard said carry a good pump. I carry a high volume electric pump to inflate the pontoons to minimum pressure then top off with a hand pump until the pontoon only gives about 1/4" deflection. Make sure you get the adapter that attaches to the air pump hose.
Thanks. He said it's lightly used. All original equipment. $300. Going to take a look at it this week.

Acheron

Reaction score
Thanks. This is just in case I buy it. I also have a roof rack. I have two pretty good car air pumps, will see if they work. Thanks all.
Are those pumps dual stage? As in, it will run filling up something very quickly at first, then a second gear/drive kicks in to finish filling it because the high flow pumps can't handle high pressure. If your pumps do not work in two stages like this, they will only partially fill the pontoons and not enough to make them properly/safely usable. You will need a hand pump or some other pump to top the pontoons off.

For one pump that does it all I prefer the Bravo pumps which have a PSI setting which you can set on the pump then walk away and gear up while it's filling :)

Like this one (this is not the exact model I have).

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You need to come up with an adapter for any sort of tire pump because of the way the intake valves are designed. I have always used my big compressor in the shop with the triggered blow nozzle on it then finished up with a dual stage hand pump. In other words, you need both.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
I got a boat!
Congratulations. Great toon. I had the outcast discovery 9 and have a 9ir with an electric motor. I know quite a few tricks about breaking it down, inflation and operation.

Breaking it down all depends on getting the end piece removed. Using a big mallet and chocking the cross frame member is usually the best way once you're able to depress the two metal spring clips sub-flush. These are thin, rolled metal formed into a somewhat round button. Forces on the water will deform the buttons elliptical until they fill the frame holes so badly they can't be depressed. To de-jam the buttons use a pair of pliers to make the buttons round again. Enlarging the holes for the spring clips will only make the buttons deform even more and will still jam. Once the end piece separates the rest of the frame disassembles easily.

The fish cat has summit 2 valves. You can push the center valve stem down and turn to lock open for fast inflation. You can wrap a rag around any inflation nozzle and inflate. The twist lock inflation adapter is available lots of places. Top off by hand until the center area of the tube depresses with your finger no less than 0.50". Heat and altitude will greatly change the pressure inside the tubes. Deflate some air out when not in use or traveling.

Operation is pretty simple. I prefer oar rights. The 9' doesn't turn well with a fin so I just dip an oar and it's nice to have the oar ready. The distance across the oar locks is 48" lock to lock which I use to measure lengths of tippet etc. Overall the toon is about 56 wide" Tight lines.

caddis75

Reaction score
By the way, it fit, easily. I Will post pics soon. Thanks all. It's an older model, but from what I can tell it's in good shape and well taken care of.