Hopper Dropper Fly Swap

bocianka1

Reaction score
It's tying season again! Time for another fly swap.

Hopper Dropper Fly Swap - tie up your favorite combo
Due date: Sunday January 17th, 2021 (plenty of time to tie em all up over the holidays)

Each tier submits
*1 doz "Hopper" flies (does not need to be limited to only grasshopper patterns, any topwater pattern that you would use to suspend your dropper fly)
*1 doz. "Dropper" flies (any subsurface fly)

Each tier is submitting a total of 2 dozen flies(1 doz hoppers and 1 doz droppers), and receiving 2 dozen mixed flies in return.
(If we get less than the typical 12 participants, we will still tie the full 2 doz flies, we will just each receive a few duplicates flies of some patterns.)

The basics of the swap:
1. Deadline to have flies to me will be Sunday January 17th, 2021. Plenty of time to tie over the holiday break or even after the hustle and bustle calm down a bit. I can drop them in the mail to everyone the following week for a nice new years gift.
2. It's a Hopper/Dropper swap. Let me know your patterns when you PM me to sign up. I'll keep updating this list as people sign up so you can see what is happening.
3. Make toe tags for your flies -A small piece of paper with your forum name on each fly hook. This helps me sort the flies and lets everyone else know who made each fly.
3. I will return your flies in the same manner they are sent to me. Place your flies in a very small container or padded envelope and I will return it with your new flies.
4. Enclose about $4.00 for standard USPS shipping and a return envelope. Priority mail envelopes charge more so if you your return envelope is a priority mail envelope plan accordingly. I'm not worried about exact change. I can do PayPal if it helps, I'll include my paypal email address in my PM when i confirm your sign up.

1. Bocianka1 (host) - Walter Wiese's GFA Hopper(light tan)/ flashback pheasant tails Host

2. Ottosmagic13 -
Chubby Chernobyl/ BH Hare's ear Flies Received

3. WWKimba -
Kim's Kopoc SH/ Graphie Caddis/ Deer Hair Ants. Flies Received

4. Philip -
Chubby Caddis / Red Copper John Flies Received]

5. Mikemac1
- Cherry Pie Hopper and Peridgon Nymph Flies Received

6. Flukefly
- Fluke Bumble Bee / Mini Squiggle Worm Flies Received

In order to participate, a tier must send the host (me) a PM with their contact info including: real name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. I'll respond back with my contact info. Exchanging contact info up front should help facilitate communication, especially if someone should drop off the forum unexpectedly.

Looking forward to another great fly swap.

Last edited:

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
I'm in, did the panfish/bass swap and loved it.

I'll PM with patterns.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
Count me in. It'll be my first swap on this site (I have participated in and swapmeistered swaps on FAOL and Fly Tying Forum sites recently and in the past). PM to follow and thanks for hosting the swap.

Kim

JoJer

Reaction score
Not quite ready for this. Maybe next time.
I can visualize them, but I'm not sure I can still tie them.

bocianka1

Reaction score
You're more than welcome to join in the next time around. I encourage tiers of all skill levels to join, the more the merrier. The swaps area great way to connect with other members of the forum.

If you're on the fence about joining the swap because you're not sure if you can still tie the flies, then i would recommend you set yourself a goal and try to tie the flies. I m know I personally always benefit from having a goal to reach, and these swaps are a great motivator to get behind the vice and tie instead of wasting time watching tv. So set yourself a goal and try tying them just as if you were in the swap, deadline and all. If you end up completing the flies, Then you know you still have the ability. at that point, PM me and I'm sure we can work you into the swap, there's always space for one more. If you find you can't tie them, then you haven't committed to anything and there's nothing to worry about. Either way it'll be a good excuse to push you to try and tie some flies and that is always a win in my book.

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What Keith just said is perfect! I've been here for what has become a long time and have seen many fly swaps come and go. I've also participated in a few and know from those experiences how 'having to tie flies' can weigh on a persons mind. The very best thing a person can do right after saying "I'm in" is to get to the bench and start churning out flies.

One other thought, never suppose that your flies won't measure up. There has to be a starting point for learning new techniques so don't hold back if a fly swap sounds like fun.

WWKimba

Reaction score
One thing that might help you make the switch from 'visualizing" to tying is tie up 3-6 flies of the same pattern - should take no more than an hour of your time. Look the flies over and find the one that best matches what you visualized. Keep this fly by your vise and use it as a template while tying the rest that would be needed for your purposes (the swap for example). Match each stage of the fly on your vise with this template until your eye and muscle memory kick in. I work with new tyers and have found this to be a successful technique when they are working with a new pattern or for experienced tyers that are getting back to the bench after a long lay-off. Hope this helps.

Kim

Oh, and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones!

JoJer

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies and encouragement.
I've had a year lay-off from tying due to moving. When I got back to the bench, I found my skills had diminished. Also my vision. I'm tying almost every day, mostly what ever I feel like, maybe 3 or 4 flies over several days, sometimes new patterns, sometimes flies I used to do pretty well. Having to work through my Rx glasses under some cheaters then through a big magnifier has been daunting. Can't step "around the corner" for supplies and materials any more: My shop is an hour away on the interstate and I have to time that trip to avoid the "stack" coming or going.
My last milestone was tying size 24's. I was moving toward big streamers for the 10" 7 weight I bought a while ago and haven't fished yet. Some of the new materials I bought for those have not been forgiving.
I'll keep watching and I'll get into a swap again eventually.

Last edited:

bocianka1

Reaction score
We are up to 4 tiers so far. Still room for another few. The more the merrier if you're interesting in joining. PM me if you are still interested in joining our swap. We will probably close registration for the swap in mid-December. Even with only a handful of participants, the swap can still be a lot of fun.

I know many of our members take the time to donate to
Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery (2020) which is a very worthwhile cause. If you haven't donated in the past, I encourage you to consider it. Remember, you can always take your mixed set of flies from the swap and send them to PHW and get the benefit of both the swap and supporting a great cause. Another great reason to get behind your vice and tie.

Tight Lines everyone.

bocianka1

Reaction score
We are up to 5 participants so far, with a 6th possible (awaiting confirmation). That is enough participants to be certain the swap will definitely move forward. There are still some spaces available for anyone who wants to join in. I'll close registration Dec. 20th for anyone who is still considering joining. Hopefully, those already committed are already starting to tie up some flies.

Once you have some of your flies tied up, feel free to post a picture on this thread so everyone else knows what they are missing out on ;) Looking forward to another great swap.

mikemac1

Reaction score
Flies will ship tomorrow once I get all the toe tags done.

Cherry Pie Hopper
Hook: Firehole Stick 718, #8
Thread: UTC 140
Tail and Wing: Deer Body Hair
Body: Bicolor 4mm Foam - River Road Creation Beavertail
Underbody: Synthetic dubbing and dry fly hackle
BZN80802.JPG
BZN80809.JPG
Cherry Pie Hopper - Bananas Foster Version
BZN80808.JPG
Cherry Pie Hopper - Tequila Sunrise version
BZN80807.JPG
Cherry Pie Hopper - Cream Sicle version
BZN80806.JPG
Cherry Pie Hopper - Key Lime Pie version

Peridgon Nymphs
Hook:
Firehole Stick 321 or 516. 12, 10
Thread: UTC 70
Head: Firehole Stone bead
Tail: Z-lon or CDL
Body: Flashabou Mirage or Polarflash
Coating and hotspot: UV Resin
BZN80810.JPG

bocianka1

Reaction score
mikemac1 Those flies look great, nice pictures! I can't wait to see them in person.
You're the first to get your flies completed and sent out, so you get the gold star. Thanks for getting everything tied up so quickly.

bocianka1

Reaction score
Those look good otto. Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting pics mid-way, gives us all something to look forward to. They're calling for snow here on Wednesday night so i should have plenty of time to sit at the vise and work on some more of my flies. I'll try and put up some pics when I get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WWKimba

Reaction score
Flies are going out either Thursday/Friday/Saturday depending on the effects of this nor'easter! I guess the ponies have a harder time in the snow! :) Besides I don't want the hoppers/caddis/ants freezing.

Kim

ottosmagic13

Reaction score
My least favorite part of the swap. The toe tags.

I did see a great tip in a facebook thread though. Run a short piece of tippet through the eye and tape the ends to the back of the tag.

Normally I'd print the tags, but my personal printer crapped out printing holiday pictures (why do you need cyan to print black and white text!?!) and I don't have access to the ones at school as we've been remote learning for the past couple weeks. Sigh.

But everything is tied and I'll ship as soon as I get the tags on. Next Monday/Tuesday at the latest.

Sz10 Chubby Chernobyls

Sz16 BH Hare's Ear

20201222_105830.jpg

bocianka1

Reaction score
My least favorite part of the swap. The toe tags.

I did see a great tip in a facebook thread though. Run a short piece of tippet through the eye and tape the ends to the back of the tag.

Normally I'd print the tags, but my personal printer crapped out printing holiday pictures (why do you need cyan to print black and white text!?!) and I don't have access to the ones at school as we've been remote learning for the past couple weeks. Sigh.

But everything is tied and I'll ship as soon as I get the tags on. Next Monday/Tuesday at the latest.

Sz10 Chubby Chernobyls

Sz16 BH Hare's Ear

View attachment 29408

They look great Otto. No worries about the tags. I can put some tags on them when I sort them for distribution.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk