How do you fish a wolly booger?

pjosh6

Reaction score
Just curious how guys are fishing wolly boogers and hoppers.. Last few times i went out i tried to fish them but not sure how to use them.. Dead drift? Little skipping action like a jig? Others?

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk 2

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Not sure what you are fishing for, but buggers are pretty versatile. If heavily weighted they can serve as a jig. Less weight and they swim nicely with a twitch of the rod or in current.

pjosh6

Reaction score
Yeah sorry... Fishing for trout in rivers and streams Colorado..

random user

Reaction score
I fish for trout mostly in smaller waters. Two techniques I have found to be most productive are "Keep Away" and sort of a wet fly swing or tensioned dead drift with sudden twitches and random brief moments of slack - sort of like something following the current looking for food.

"Keep Away" is blind fishing. Present the buggger sort of close to some kind of structure, let the fly drift in a little closer (giving it time to sink), then strip it back it and make it swim like it is swimming for it's life. (Trout swim a lot faster than I can strip line.) Sort of a variant in "induced take'.

pjosh6

Reaction score
Okay..ill give those patterns a try... I have tried to fish them when everything seems to slow down and dont really have any luck... Could be presentation or size i guess..

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Give them a chance most everytime you fish. I found black buggers productive in muddy water, when nobody around me was catching anything (including live bait). Got that advice here just a few weeks ago.

randyflycaster

Reaction score
Definitely swinging down stream. Also, in fast water casting straight upstream, and slapping the bugger into the water. (I'm trying for a reaction strike.)

Randy

planettrout

Reaction score
FYI...

Fishing Woolly Buggers | MidCurrent

My favorite pattern for the Eastern Sierras is Denny Rickard's Seal Bugger...I use them in moving and still water:

Some of the color variations I use...

Seal Bugger

I use the SA Multi-tip lines and a leader no longer than 48"...up or down stream, pump, twitch, slow retrieve, fast retrieve...whatever works

PT/TB ;)

Last edited:

itchmesir

Reaction score
How does one fish a bugger? Any way you want... Strip it. Drift it. High stick it. Swing it. It's the do everything fly.

T

turbineblade

Planet: That seal bugger appears as though it would be prone to fouling given the longer length of the marabou tail.

I fish streamers more than any other pattern in both FW and SW and get totally irate with fouling patterns!!! I refuse to tolerate even occasional fouling :).

I won't even tolerate trimming tails on the water!

What's your experience with that longer tail?

M

mridenour

Fish it any way that you can think of. I have caught fish on them while I wasn't fishing them, with the rod tucked under my arm putting on mosquito spray or talking on the walkie with my fishing buddy about when we were going to eat lunch. Maybe the question should be:

How don't you fish a wooly bugger?

chechem

Reaction score
Fish it any way that you can think of. I have caught fish on them while I wasn't fishing them, with the rod tucked under my arm putting on mosquito spray or talking on the walkie with my fishing buddy about when we were going to eat lunch. Maybe the question should be:

How don't you fish a wooly bugger?
:D:D Or how do you spell it.

As mentioned briefly above, a Wooly also works as a jig.
I fish them in deep plunge pools (fast water) with a split shot. Sometimes it takes a pretty big weight; other times just tiny one. Usually I try the split shot close to the fly, because it's easier to work. But I try it 6-8" up the line if at first I don't succeed.

Last edited:

trout champ

Reaction score
Woolley Buggers get thrown up and then I let her slide down stream keeping the line tight. I will then strip the fly in a various twitch/strength/speeds. I also like to dead drift Woolley Buggers. The maribou gives the fly tons of life and a pulsating motion.

I like to throw hoopers so they land hard and then drift them downstream with a couple twitches. I have also had success with larger fish taking a drowned hopper on the drift.

Hope that helps,
Randy

shotgunfly

Reaction score
3 methods have worked for me, listed in order of most to least productive:

1. Across or down/across, throw out some line to give the bugger time to drop, follow it with rod tip facing down toward water, just as line starts to tighten up start a retrieve. Vary the speed of the strips and length and find what works. Trout around here will follow the fly down and usually take it on the up strip.

2. Cast up stream, maybe even with a small weight 6-10" above it with indicator above that, basically drifting it like a nymph. I've even cut the tails off and had better success on high water stained days this way.

3. Casting up stream and ripping it down faster than the water speed. I get a lot of chases with this method but fewer hookups than the ones above.

It's such a versatile fly that you can't go wrong at least trying it.

C

Joni

Reaction score
A definite "go to" on stillwaters, but rivers is straight out and strip back upstream after it has run it's course.