How does Sage XP compare to VXP and the RPL?

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
I have a couple of VXP's and an RPL. I love my VXP's but after using them, I find the RPL to be soft and with no power. I am thinking of replacing the RPL with an XP. What do you guys thin? Is the XP more like the VXP or the RPL?

mike_r

Reaction score
What weight line/rod are you flinging? The XP is definitely faster and stiffer overall than a comparable RPL. I had at one time both a 9’ 4pc 5 wt XP and a 2pc 9’ 5wt RPL. The RPL, while physically lighter, flexed deeper and felt more top heavy compared to the XP using the same exact reel, line and leader setup. The XP, while heavier static, swings much lighter and feels more lively than the RPL. The XP tip is much crisper and recovers quicker. Both cast well with a Scientific Anglers Master Expert Distance WF5F line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clouserguyky

Reaction score
The XP will be faster than both the RPL and the VXP. I have a 906 VXP and have fished a friends 906 XP. Both are great, versatile rods. The XP will be more like the VXP than the RPL, but still quite a bit faster.

If my heart were set on a Sage, I'd just save up to go get a new X. It costs $125 to have warranty work done on rods as old as the XP, and $75 for the VXP. But the current lineup requires only a $25 warranty fee. I'd rather spend on the new technology than the inevitable warranty repairs.

FlyFlinger2421

Reaction score
Thank you guys. The XP seems like the type of rod I like, or at least close. Now if I can find one at a bargain price......LOL!

original cormorant

Reaction score
I no nothing about VXP's or RPL's, but I remember being very impressed with the original XP 906. I do have a 10ft #5 RPL+ which could never be described as soft and powerless. My guess is that much is in the arm or mind of the caster .