How long would you drive for a pretty good chance to catch a...

triocd

Reaction score
How long would you drive for a day trip to have a pretty good chance to catch a 22-23 inch wild brown trout?

3 hours each way? More? Just curious...

silver creek

Reaction score
How long would you drive for a day trip to have a pretty good chance to catch a 22-23 inch wild brown trout?

3 hours each way? More? Just curious...
I drive to Montana each year. 1250 miles one way, about a straight through 20 -21 hour drive including meal/bathroom/fuel breaks. So about an hour for each inch of a 21 inch trout.....

A 21 hour drive is about a "day" trip so that is about spot perfect. :typing:

Ard

Administrator
Reaction score
I was fortunate all the years I lived in Pennsylvania in that I was able to catch several fish that size every year within 60 - 65 minutes each way. Sometimes though I used to book at the Bush House before it burned down for weeks at a time. That kept me on the scene and upped my catches too.

Here I drive up to 265 miles one way for steelhead fishing but in 15 seasons I've never came home in under 3 days. Heck I even camp on my home river so I don't have to pull my boat.

trev

Reaction score
Anything over two hours one way is an overnighter, but I'd rather stay one day for each hour driven. Size of fish isn't that important, setting and experience more so.

joe_strummer

Reaction score
I daytrip the Fryingpan, four hours each way. Daytrip Nebraska to hunt birds weekly over the winter -- up at 2a, home around 10p. Of course, I'll overnight any of that when I can, and I pull a lot of zzzzz's in truck stops, rest stops, and on-ramps on I-76. But I do not have a formula for determining if it's "worth the drive," as normal people say. Spending my whole life doing this. Three hours is just the last mile.

spm

Reaction score
The closest trout stream to me is 3 hours, one way. It's a long way for a day trip, but I have done it. Closer to home, I have warm-water fishing at my daughter and her husband's farm pond and a couple city lakes.

steve

flytie09

Reaction score
For a day trip....3 hours one way would be my cutoff. Outside of that.....you risk fatigue on the ride back and anxiety that you gotta catch one or its a wasted trip. Guys call it "making a suicide run" for good reason.

trev

Reaction score
It's that ride back that is the determining factor, even two hours from home, I'll cut the day short to allow travel time or take a nap before the trip.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I have to drive about 3 hours one way to get to water where I can expect to catch 20-inch+ browns. One spot is a stream and the other is a lake, so kind of best of both worlds.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I live 10 miles away from Lake Michigan as the crow flies. Maybe an hour to a charter boat (when being close won't be an issue), and a 23-inch brown is a definite possibility. And folks catch them off of jetties along the shore as well.

hatidua

Reaction score
I live pretty close to spots with fish that size but I still make the drive to much further places for the sake of variety. I have never constrained myself with distance limits, only weather limits: no driving on ice, no fishing in lightning.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I travel 1.5 hours one way one maybe two times a year for the possible +28" hook up. That's the one and only reason. All other aspects of why I fly fish are are not existent on that trip. There are no views. There is no solitude. No wildlife visitations, well not outside the two legged variety I should say. There are no surprises. Nothing changes except for the amount of trees the avalanches may or may not have deposited or which hole the one reason might be holding in. Really silly actually. It's a game of 95% luck that the reason is there but the challenge is having the skill to deliver the fly.

I'd have no issues driving 3 hours one way for scenery, wildlife, solitude and 10" fish.

I live where I do so I can have it all, including a mild winter. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

dillon

Reaction score
For a day trip....3 hours one way would be my cutoff. Outside of that.....you risk fatigue on the ride back and anxiety that you gotta catch one or its a wasted trip. Guys call it "making a suicide run" for good reason.
An hour and a half, but only if it was a spring creek habitat with reliable mayfly hatches. My closest destination for such opportunity is a 7 hour drive one way. So, it’s out of the question. I don’t do day trips for trout.