How Many Flies Used per Hour of Fishing?

Flies used per hour of fishing

• Less than one

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • 1-2

Votes: 53 63.1%
  • 3-5

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • 5-10

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Greater than 10

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters

Hayden Creek

Reaction score
Generally I use very few flies per hour because I have spend many years fishing the water I am on, both in my home state and in Montana. So I don't need to change flies. I have fished the same fly for days. And I don't mean the same pattern but actually the very same fly.

Since I tie my own flies, they are tied with greater care than commercially tied flies. So they don't fall apart as easily and I can use the same fly the next day and even the day after that.
Agreed. Back in June I fished the same fly for 6 days and only changed because I broke it off on an overhanging branch on the far side of the river. I could have waded over and got it but didn't want to spook the fish I was targeting.

cslyngstad

Reaction score
It really depends. I've had days where my I've changed ten times within an hour and days when I've used the same fly from sun up to sun down with consistent success. On average though, I'd say 1-2 for me. I like to work a fly for a bit before giving up on it, but some days I'll go 3-5 if I'm just trying to find where the fish are.
Ditto. Sometimes that beat up Adams just won't stop catching fish and sometimes I change flies multiple times an hour... especially if I'm getting skunked...

proheli

Reaction score
I can use 1 for a couple of hours, but a few weeks ago I was determined to nymph a really tight spot and went though 4 rigs in an hour, so 8 flys and some yarn.

alfaromeo

Reaction score
80 .cold hands and lost a box of flys in a river...now way i was going to catch up with them, just watched them float down the river, hope some lucky fiy fisherperson find them, and puts them to good use

mike126

Reaction score
Depends on the weather and if there’s interest in the pattern. In the spring summer and fall I might change 2-3 times in an hour. But winter not so much since my hands are probably too cold.

I don’t find the actual pattern to be the biggest factor when nymphing. It’s mostly the drift and depth that plays a bigger factor IMHO. For dries it’s all about presentation and drift for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karstopo

Reaction score
80 .cold hands and lost a box of flys in a river...now way i was going to catch up with them, just watched them float down the river, hope some lucky fiy fisherperson find them, and puts them to good use
I once several years ago not long after I started fly fishing found a box full of flies that had apparently floated up on a deserted bay shoreline on an island in Texas. No one really lived on this island and the only way on the island was by boat or plane. There’s an abandoned airport runway and tarmac and other WW2 era Army Airforce ruins on this island, but no services, no utilities, no electricity, no local government, or permanent residents. People fly small private planes or take small private boats over to fish and hunt. A few have built cabins also. The box was found 1,000s of feet from any of the cabins, though.

It was at about midnight and I was out trying to gig flounder with a couple of friends when I spotted the sealed big plano clear plastic box right at the water line on the sand with something like 80 or more various saltwater oriented flies in there. I guessed at the time the box must have flipped out of a boat and then drifted ashore. I put out a post about the find on two of the local forums to see if the owner would claim them, but no one ever did.

For a while, I just hung on to the box and did nothing with the flies. Later on, I reversed engineered one shrimp-like pattern that looked pretty good and that had some palmered hackle and tied a few of my own and fished them a bit. They weren’t all bad and I fished one of the originals and it was about the same, caught a couple of fish on each. Plus, there were and are some big and then some truly massive articulated baitfish patterns in the box and some medium large and then giant toad/crabs tied on massive hooks that I guessed were meant for big tarpon, ling or something else big, plus a lot of other smaller stuff like clousers, seaducers, fly rod spoons and very blingy, metallic looking flies I hadn’t seen before or since.

I was pretty excited to find the box at the time, but as it worked out it wasn’t anything to get excited about. Most of the flies were either so enormous I wouldn’t ever likely be anywhere to fish them or I ended up not really wanting to fish any of the rest for various reasons. I did try a spoon fly from the box, but found out I hated fishing those, it was like casting a boomerang or paper airplane, no thank you. I casted one of the smaller articulated patterns and it cast reasonably well, but there wasn’t anything particular about it that made me want to fish it.

It would’ve been fun to meet the original owner of the flies to get their story about the various patterns in the box and what they called each fly, what they had caught on them or why they selected the flies they did to include in the box. I think the box needed the original owner to be valuable.

cslyngstad

Reaction score
I change flies often because I develop my own patterns.
Care to share any particular patterns you have invented that worked well?

I really respect guys that take the time to not only tie, but to tie up their own stuff. I'm just not that crafty so I am stuck emulating online instructions for tried and true patterns. I'm certain there are many new patterns that are extremely effective given today's plentitude of tying materials.