How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

• Total voters

charged

Reaction score
I tend to hoard fishing equipment at home, out on the water I'm mostly a minimalist. I don't think I've ever carried more than one small fly box out on any of my trips. Most the time I spend fly fishing, all my flies fit into a small foam lined Altoids tin.

stuie675

Reaction score
I carry four, but they are smaller boxes and all organized to the type of fly they carry.

cw76

Reaction score
I try to keep it under 4. After that It's too much messing around digging and what not.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Typically 3

Box 1) midges and nymphs that are go to patterns. I will carry each in at least 2 if not 3 different sizes

Box 2) dry flies and various other midges I've accumulated over the years.

Box 3) this one is with me most of the time it has San Juan worms , eggs, stoneflies

Box 4) is my Salmonfly season box. Big stone and salmon fly patterns and streamers.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I carry one wee one with a few select nymphs,,,another with compartments with dries,,and on the ripple foam, some small'ish streamers.

BUT,,,,,,,,,,I LOVE fly boxes. I have several sitting here on the tying desk. I love to tie, and tie, and fill one up,,,then start on another.

I have that delima some others must have,,,,,,,what in the world am I gonna do with all these flies ? I need a fishing pard that hates fly tying,,,I could be his best friend LOL

williamhj

Reaction score
For trout usually four, sometimes 5. Right now:

1. Nymph box
2. Dry box
3. Streamer box
4. small midge box, some overlap with nymph and dry but carries the really small stuff.

Have a box of terrestrials including mice but don't have it in the pack now.

For bass I carry one streamer and one popper/bass bug box.

lv2nymph

Reaction score
When I'm packing full it's 10, but that's at the height of hatch time and when I'm expecting to hit two or more major streams in an outing. For just a day trip to one stream it's usually four.

boomslang

Reaction score
one large one for trout fishing. Two for steelheading (one nymph and one streamer). My flies are not neatly organized in my box.

For trout fishing, I keep a box with all sorts of flies....nymphs, dries, wets, and streamers. there are several sizes of a few basic but effective flies. When I am exploring a new river or location, I tend to carry an additional box with searching or attractor patterns.

dean_mt

Reaction score
When I'm packing full it's 10, but that's at the height of hatch time and when I'm expecting to hit two or more major streams in an outing. For just a day trip to one stream it's usually four.
Reminds me of this guy. How in the world could you possibly need that many flies at one time? I like to carry a lot of flies, maybe two large boxes and a small one, but this guy (in the video) is just silly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MEZYDRmL0

lv2nymph

Reaction score
The boxes I have aren't real big, two can fit in one pocket. Probably should have specified that earlier. When I have that amount Like said I'm looking to fish Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Little "J", or Big Fishing Creek in a short time frame. From my driveway the furthest one is maybe 40 some min. It makes for a nice round robin kinda outing that's all.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
I voted 5, as I fish from my tube about 80-90% of the time and when I'm packing, I tend to just throw the first five boxes in the pockets right before I head out the door.

When I hike streams, I usually only carry two or three boxes, which is kind of overkill, since I'm pretty sure most of the time I only fish six or seven different types of flies on a given day.

At Lee's Ferry, I bring one or none. Over 90% of the time, I'm fishing a slitshotted zeeb rig, and I have about 150 of them in my chestpack on that foam thing (supposedly that thing is called a 'workstation.'), so no need to carry a box. But sometimes there's a hatch or a cicada bite, and then I'll bring some emergers and big dries in another box.
I didn't even know that I'd replied to this thread.

Interesting to look back three years and see what I was thinking back then.

Anyway, I want to change my vote. Now it's two or one.

That's boxes either on my person or within arm's reach, while in the act of fishing, as in the case of the float tube scenario. This does not include in any way the four to six storage boxes in the truck at any given time with nearly 2500 flies in them (approx. count from last winter).

Hey, in my defense I tied nearly half of those things. And I just can't stand the idea that I'll leave the one pattern that would've worked back home in the man cave, or on the tying bench. So I bring them all with me. I just don't carry them all around with me. That would be eccentric. And difficult to execute.

So like I said, it's two small boxes or one small box. Just forget about the suitcase of flies in the truck.

Peace.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Well now I carry 4 see pic below.

1) Smaller Simms box has dry flies and attractor patterns such as stimmy's , Trudes, coachman. Also some San Juan worms, woven stonefly patterns...general big uglies

2) bigger Simms box carries big nymphs such as all my hares ears, prince nymphs, franks flashy, tungsten surveyors etc etc. obviously has empty space, will put in some small streamers and tie more of the above. My collection thinned out last spring/summer

3) thin box#1 has all my beadless midges, disco's rs2, jujubee, mole flies etc etc

4) thin box #2 has all my bead head midges...rainbow warriors, zebras, two-bits, calico midges etc etc

The I shown 5th box I rarely carry has all massive salmon fly imitations, sizes 2's thru 6's and streamers.beleive it or not all 4 of this fit real nicely in that new Simms pack so 4 boxes doesn't seem excessive anymore. I love those thin boxes for midges.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Since I dumped my vest and went to a small sling I need to change my vote to 1 :)
This summer I am going to do this during dry fly season...take just a super tiny field and stream hip bag. 1 box with dries and a couple emergers and that is it.

Will probably require countless hours of therapy to get prepped for that:lol2:

05harleyrider

Reaction score
I tend to carry at least 4. Know that may seam like alot but I like to break my fly down.

One box for drys. One box for nymphs. One box for what I concider wets (ex: march brown), and one box for streamers.

Just think it makes it easier for myself to match the hatch. Know what I'm looking at and just pull the box to match the stage.

factor

Reaction score
For me, this really depends on how I'm fishing. If wading, I'll often only have two or three boxes in my chest pack/vest. If I'm fishing from the float tube, I may have 6-8...lots of room in those storage compartments under your arms! :icon_bigg