How many knots ?

tacovan

Reaction score
+1 for the Uni Knot. Compared to other knots, it does waste a little more material... but I can tie it in my sleep, it's versatile, and very strong.

(other knots I'll occasionally use: arbor for backing to reel, albright special for line to backing, perfection loop for loop to loop connection, double surgeon's for tippet to leader, Palomar when using streamers)

Last edited:

the norseman

Reaction score
Tippet to Fly: Uni Knot (a good all around knot to know)

Leader making: Blood Knot
(looks like a barrel) Tied with the Dennison Vise tool;
compact flat aluminum “U” framed, with 2 clamps.

Fly Line to Leader: Nail Knot

I use basically 3 knots above. These make stream
lined connections. They work good for me because
I just fish in a Stream near by and catch small Brown Trout.
01D0CE97-CEF5-4B6D-A3F7-1EFEB8BF71FA.jpeg

el jefe

Reaction score
One knot I've never had much success with is the popular Clinch Knot, for me that knot slips worse than any knot I've used as a terminal knot, and I think the "improvement" made it weaker.
I echo your experience, and that is one reason I have gone to the non-slip mono loop for my terminal knot. You can actually leave a short tag to account for any slippage, which I never get, anyway. It also allows more natural action to the fly.

frickerdog

Reaction score
It likely depends on what kind of fishing you are doing, but for everyday trout fishing on light tippets, I used the improved clinch knot for tippet-to-fly, triple surgeon for leader-to-tippet, loop-to-loop for line-to-leader, and nail knot for backing-to-line. I cannot recall the last time I lost a fish because of a failed knot...of course, now that I have said that, it will happen the next time out. :unsure:

pnc

Reaction score
Looking back made mistake saying , bimini to attach leader. Should have been bimini to attach tippet. Last in leader is bimini which loops to tippet. Should also mention that pre tied tippet bimini loops. Are carried in a bag so changing tipped is easy. Loop connected to leader. Three bags labeled with different tippets. . Usually just two bags go in pocket.

So in the field. I'm only tying flies to tippet. Usually have fly tied on before getting to water. Only change of flies means tying a knot. After 2nd fly usually go to new tipped. Do the same with leaders. Have several different length pre-tied in bags. Baged tippets and leaders ready to go. Facilitate quickest change over of such.

I believe the less time spent tying knots in field. Means more time spent fishing. Either searching for or casting to fish. Keeping knot tying to a minimum will get you on to more fish. Seems some keep knot tying to a minimum in field. If your not one to do this, try. Think about getting that fly, in the water faster.

mike126

Reaction score
In the field I use mostly 2 clinch and surgeons. Occasionally I also use the improved clinch. On the bench I use blood knots for leaders and needle nail knot for euro nymphing leader to line connections

I can’t remember too many so I keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thom

Reaction score
Uni knot and double uni is what I use in the field. It’s fun to test knots with a scale. Some of the knots that are commonly used will vary quite a bit based on technique.

Southerncaster

Reaction score
Nail knot or Albright, depending on line weight and mood, but I've never had a problem with a nail knot on a 8wt fly line.
Perfection or double surgeons loop depending on line weight. Sometimes non-slip loop depending on my state of mind and/or whether or not I'm tying in the dark.
Blood knots and/or uni knot depending on what I'm fishing for and how many leader sections I have or don't have.
Usually a double surgeons knot for light trout tippet to leader.
Uni knot after sometimes going through hook eye twice with tippet end (probably doesn't make any difference --just a false sense of confidence which sometimes conceivably could make a difference).

BillNye

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that fisherman obsess too much about knots. I build my leaders with blood knots, attach tippet with double surgeons (triple if I am not feeling lazy) or a perfection loop and use a nailless nail knot to attach my leader to the fly line and never had a problem even with big salty fish in current. Do what you know best and has worked for you…like ard said in 2016 I use 3 or 4 knots regularly and never had a problem.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that sound knot tying skills are fundamental to being an angler. I use a doubled Arbor Knot for backing to reel arbor, a Bimini for backing to fly line, for a mono or Fluoro leader to fly line loop, a Perfection or for direct, a 12+ turn Nail Knot coated with UV resin. Building leaders I employ the Blood knot with varied #'s of turns depending on diameter from 4 to 7, I use the Blood for trout tippets and the Ligature for salt tippets. Tippet to fly mostly the through the eye twice Trillen for drys and for swimming/dropping flies in the salt, the Non-Slip Loop. Shock tippets or any uneven diameter connections, the Albright Special. Knots I choose not to use are the Turle Bend and the Surgeons Knot (though I do use a Surgeon's Loop). If circumstances suggest leader modification is appropriate or needed, I have no issues setting on a soft bank in the shade and performing leader craft, same knots I would employ as if in my living room. For trout I carry 2X to 6X in a front vest pocket and some where less accessible a set of heavier diameter monofilament just in cases. In my vehicle or boat bag (in the salt) I will have full Nylon or (salt only) Fluorocarbon leader building kit. Except for a slim tube for multi-turn Nail Knots, the only knot tying tool I use is my ten fingers and my feet for spreading the Bimini. Every knot I tie I visually inspect then try to break and if I learn about a new and better knot, that makes my day.

David in FL

Reaction score
I never thought of myself as a knot guy, but it seems I use more than a lot of people here.

Uni and double Uni, canoeman’s, double surgeon, perfection loop, nail knot, improved clinch, and palomar knots are all regularly used as needed.

flafly14

Reaction score
tippet to fly: Eugene Bend, Improved Clinch (only if I lost my foreceps and can't do the E.B.), non-slip loop, or Improved Homer Rhodes loop if I'm using a bite tippet.

Leader knots: blood knots, Ligature (I learned this from SS here), or triple surgeons. Slim beauty is good for bite tippet connections.

Leader or backing loops: bimini, Spliced loop in hollow braid, Perfection Loop.

Misc: FG knot is good for braid to mono. Uni knot from backing to reel.

mtboiler

Reaction score
Working in a fishing department of a sporting goods store I probably know a dozen or so knots...probably more. I actually have found a use for several while I fish. When attacking a fly I either use a Davy knot(tag ends), improved clinch (standard nymph/dry fly knot) or Palomar knot (streamers). Tippet rings are either Davy or Clinch. Tippet to leader, I know the blood, double and triple but prefer the Orvis Hemostat knot. Plus a host of multi use knots...nail knot, perfection loop, blood knot or snell knot. Knots I use at work Arbor, uni and double uni,Alberto knot and willis. Never found a reason to use a Willis on a river since it is lead core to mono.
To be quite honest I could probably use three only and be just as happy. Matter of fact I am not sure I have ever used an Arbor knot on a river either!!
I probably know a couple more. Seems like every couple of weeks some guy comes in asking about attaching something to something and I for some reason have this 'wealth of useless information' stored in my brain that somehow becomes useful when I say yes you can do that use this knot!!

MarsB

Reaction score
Davy, clinch, double surgeons are my field knots. I have a bad memory, so I keep it simple! I can do arbor, nail, and blood knots too - but usually google them before hand for a refresher.

thomasw

Reaction score
... one reason I have gone to the non-slip mono loop for my terminal knot ... It also allows more natural action to the fly.
I would like to emphasize this point for a specific type of floating fly, the hopper. Most think the non-slip mono loop knot is really only for nymphs, but this is incorrect in my experience. When looking at a grasshopper or a beetle on the surface of a stream, take note at how they tend to turn and swivel in little circular patterns. The non-slip mono loop allows the fly, as el jefe above notes astutely, the ability to slightly turn or swivel very much like a real hopper or beetle. When the "Trout Boss" writes about knots, there is wisdom to be gleaned.