How to nymph fish

trout tracker

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting started in fly fishing and I'm a bit confused on how to do nymphing. From the research I've done I've found that you would put a strike indicator on your leader and below that a swivel and some tippet then you fly. What I don't understand is your supposed to do this in a deep lake.

My question is for a lake situation would you use a really long leader. And also once you get the nymph out there do you just sit and wait for a bite or do you retrieve it. Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.

I only own a floating line by the way.

Thanks

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
For fishing lakes I find using a strike indicator with a couple nymphs below that is BORING, I just don't have the patience to sit there and wait for a fish to wander by! Instead, I like to use something like a Copper John and then as a trailer nymph that doesn't have any weight, no additional split shot or indicator. Toss that out, do a count down, say start with 10 seconds, then a slow hand twist retrieve. If that doesn't produce, try 15 seconds on the next cast. If your casting up near shore with weeds, maybe wait 2 seconds before doing the slow hand twist retrieve.

planettrout

Reaction score
The resident experts around these parts are Kelly G. and Joni (Tomich)... hopefully they will see your plea and chime in. FFing deep, in lakes, is a whole 'nother ball of wax, generally requiring long leaders and slip strike indicators for floating lines and/or various sinking lines (along with a good fish finder)...

Here is a piece that may provide a few answers:

Fishing Lake Wet Flies and Nymphs

In the meantime, use the google to research the advise of guys like Brian Chan, Phillip Rowley and Denny Rickards...all three sometimes walk on water...

In a good many of the high elevation lakes I frequent, here in the Sierras, I can get away with working soft hackles,scuds, pt's, hare's ears, streamers, damsels and dragon flies, beneath the surface, in water that is less than 15' deep with a floating line. If the fish are cruising and foraging at greater depths, another method is required...

PT/TB ;)

kosix

Reaction score
When you say deep ? How deep? Are you boat fishing or shore fishing?

lgfrommv107

Reaction score
I've been learning a lot in the last week doing some lake Stillwater fishing. And I mean like glass lol I've found some basic info then try to fine tune it. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabid Rider

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just getting started in fly fishing and I'm a bit confused on how to do nymphing. From the research I've done I've found that you would put a strike indicator on your leader and below that a swivel and some tippet then you fly. What I don't understand is your supposed to do this in a deep lake.

My question is for a lake situation would you use a really long leader. And also once you get the nymph out there do you just sit and wait for a bite or do you retrieve it. Sorry if these sound like stupid questions.

I only own a floating line by the way.

Thanks
Youtube is your friend..