How to tie a Palomar knot

Jimmie

Reaction score
Thanks Paul. Really appreciate your doing this. I've read each of your "how to tie....." threads. Good visuals. I'm going to give the Palomar knot a try for awhile. I fumble too much with the improved Clinch knot at stream side. Plus, it looks like it could be as strong if not more so.

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jimmie,
We have about 20 of these knot guides which were put together for us a few years back on the UK website. I will start moving them across in small batches as time allows.

The palomar knot is a near 100% knot - more used for tying hooks to line for drop-shotting for bass or inshore game angling but no reason why it can't be used for flies to and once you know it, it is really simple. In fact hard to believe it is such a good knot as it seems TOO simple! LOL

Glad to hear you like the fly tying how to's - Simon Young works with me here in the UK office and loves his fly tying! He set up a small studio with a photographer friend of his and they were a production line of fly tying for several days! Watch out for more patterns to come over the winter.

Best
Paul

Acheron

Reaction score
This has to be one of the easiest knots to tie. If you can't do this double blindfolded something is wrong :D

I came across this knot years ago while looking for an easy to tie, small profile knot when using "heavy" line (20lb) to flies and it has worked well.. I don't know of any other knot with such a small profile, especially this strong, and again...easy as heck to tie!

I will say, I have not found it to work well with small diameter line and tend to use it with 10lb+ but really find it excels when I get to the heavier stiff lines 16-20lb+. The ultra low profile and strength makes it my go-to for larger diameter lines :)

It also works for braided lines, a single knot to do it all for attaching heavy line to flies!

Here's a short video showing how to tie it.

Here is a pic for those who don' tlike videos:

(@Ard , the link in the OP takes you to the forum home page, not to a knot page)

jr spey

Reaction score
This has to be one of the easiest knots to tie. If you can't do this double blindfolded something is wrong :D

I came across this knot years ago while looking for an easy to tie, small profile knot when using "heavy" line (20lb) to flies and it has worked well.. I don't know of any other knot with such a small profile, especially this strong, and again...easy as heck to tie!

I will say, I have not found it to work well with small diameter line and tend to use it with 10lb+ but really find it excels when I get to the heavier stiff lines 16-20lb+. The ultra low profile and strength makes it my go-to for larger diameter lines :)

It also works for braided lines, a single knot to do it all for attaching heavy line to flies!

Here's a short video showing how to tie it.

Here is a pic for those who don' tlike videos:

(@Ard , the link in the OP takes you to the forum home page, not to a knot page)

jr spey

Reaction score
The double palomar is almost as easy to tie and is a bit stronger yet with most lines. The disadvantage of either palomar is that it uses up quite a bit more in tippet when tying. In other words, there's more loss once you trim the knot.